Life Experience

chrystal19

Reaction score
Could someone please give me an example of how they gained some life experience? I would like to do the Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award but I don't have a year to spare.

Would doing the bronze be useful?

I was also thinking about voluntary work, perhaps at a local charity store. Anyone know of a situation where I could do some work that will give me leadership exp.?

Thanks

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Could someone please give me an example of how they gained some life experience?
I raised 3000 pounds for charity trekking to Everest base camp. The life experience came from seeing how other people live, seeing another part of the world, freezing my bollocks off!
I built my dads house for him.
I worked as a bar manager throughout uni and saw the nicest and nastiest parts of human nature... The things doormen do are slightly disturbing.
Do some charity/volunteer work.

Anyone know of a situation where I could do some work that will give me leadership exp.?
Not really if you intend to go into RT soon. But if you had a little longer, any form of managerial job will get you leadership experience. You could also join a sports team and try and become captain.
If you currently have a job why not organise a team building weekend? This would show your organisation skills and you'll be in charge.

chrystal19

Reaction score
Well I do charity runs, and fund raise. I could look into doing something a bit more adventurous like yourself.

Voluntary work will be easy to find where I live, Theres a highstreet with 12 charity shops on alone.

I once helped teach ICT lessons to year 7 students in college, trying to motivate a kid who didn't see the positive side of an education.

It just all needs bulking up a bit if im to go for a officer role.

S

Sotiris

Sure DofE bronze would do you good. Not necessarily the expedition but the service. I was in charge of a scouts group and got my advanced sailing certificate in that time.

On the practical side you get to learn map reading and I lead my team so it all adds up.

I've read that the AIB also consider uni to give you "life experience" but I degree to some extent.

Stepping away from DofE, I'm doing a 9-day race up Mount Kinabalu in November with the British Military Fitness group and also I'm a student stage manager so I get to run a theatre company and handle quite significant budgets. Hehe the theatre isn't as fairy as people would assume. I'm also hoping my national service will count as well.

It's difficult to say exactly what the board mean by "life experience" but I think they apply the term to their younger applicants. Those of 16/17/18 who have perhaps not had the opportunities as older people have.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
DofE's always a good thing to go for.
personally i managed a bar, traveled round the world, lived independent of my family for 9 years (i reckon that's a good one to go for- move out of parents house and fend for yourself for a year or so), moved out of my home town 300-some miles south.
Any volunteer work's going to be good. doing anything that takes you out of your comfort zone and challenges you, but i reckon, living alone, charity work, a spot of traveling outside europe/western countries, volunteer work and D of E are spot on

chrystal19

Reaction score
Sure DofE bronze would do you good. Not necessarily the expedition but the service. I was in charge of a scouts group and got my advanced sailing certificate in that time.

On the practical side you get to learn map reading and I lead my team so it all adds up.

I've read that the AIB also consider uni to give you "life experience" but I degree to some extent.

Stepping away from DofE, I'm doing a 9-day race up Mount Kinabalu in November with the British Military Fitness group and also I'm a student stage manager so I get to run a theatre company and handle quite significant budgets. Hehe the theatre isn't as fairy as people would assume. I'm also hoping my national service will count as well.

It's difficult to say exactly what the board mean by "life experience" but I think they apply the term to their younger applicants. Those of 16/17/18 who have perhaps not had the opportunities as older people have.

Yes that sounds great. How did you get to lead the scout group, where you a scout, or were you a worker?

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
Depends on how much time you've got?

Army Cadets would seem to be the perfect thing. You don't need previous cadet or millitary experience, and once the security checks have been done, you can pretty much get straight into some leadership as a PI. You'll end up doing loads of different stuff, and for weekends away etc. I think you get paid about £50 a day.

chrystal19

Reaction score
Depends on how much time you've got?

Army Cadets would seem to be the perfect thing. You don't need previous cadet or millitary experience, and once the security checks have been done, you can pretty much get straight into some leadership as a PI. You'll end up doing loads of different stuff, and for weekends away etc. I think you get paid about £50 a day.
That sounds great! I just looked on the website and requested a brochure pack, thanks.

hazza190

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You know the cadet thing got me thinking.
When it comes to applying and they see what you have done and that. Well I'm in the Air Cadets, the only reason being is because they have better funds and are known to be the best cadet group in my area.
I was just thinking would they prefer that Im in a Navy cadet squadron rather than a RAF one.
Cheers

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
No, wouldnt worry about it Hazza.
It's given you some form of military experiance and lifestyle views etc so I wouldnt worry.

hazza190

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
OK cheers Skippy, I was just wondering you know. TO be honest I would never really join the RAF too far away from ther action *text deleted*.

keeton

Reaction score
life experience is were u go down town club and get in2 stiky situation and get out of thm 1 way or another *text deleted*.... what a royal marine said to me when i asked him what he meant by it

S

Sotiris

Yes that sounds great. How did you get to lead the scout group, where you a scout, or were you a worker?
I was when I was very young but that really had nothing to do with it. I just asked the local group if they wanted help and they said sure and ultimately invited me to lead one of the groups. It wasn't that great but of course they're not going to ask you about the ins and outs of your experiences...probably "what did you learn from this experience".

chrystal19

Reaction score
Yeah sounds good, may I ask if this was in Greece or the UK? Are you still doing it?

S

Sotiris

Haha actually it was in Dubai. I was born and raised there until I turned 18 and went of for service. The majority of the schools there are British curriculum and there are about 1 million ex-patriots, the vast majority are English out there. Haha there are only about 40,000 locals!

But for the sake of argument let's just say Britain as there would be no real difference.

So I no, I don't do it anymore, that was about 5-6 years ago. But what's done is done and hopefully it'll register on the "life experience" acheivements.

chrystal19

Reaction score
Yeah I'm sure the AIB board will value it highly.

If the ACF instructor option falls through I might give my local group a call!

Thanks