Life In the RM

blades101

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I do not mean any disrespect for what I'm about to say.

I have been looking to join the marines for a long time but it seems to me that operationally wise they seem a bit neglected. For example, much of the army are on operational tours of Afghan in Kabul providing security and also Iraq. The army is also completing tours protecting the nature parks and also helping the African Union. The Marines as elite as they are, seems to be completing just training exercises and the occasional deployments on ships. Obviously, I know that if anything kicks off then the RMC's are the first in and some badass lads and soon lases. Now can I have any confirmation as the career in the armed forces I want to pursue is doing things like the army are currently doing. I have been in the royal marine cadets for just over 2 and a half years and have seen a few of my mates gone and join the army for this excat reasons. .If I was to join the army I would go to either a guard regiment or the RIFLES. So to say again, just some confirmation on these things I have presented. Once more I mean no disrespect.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I have been looking to join the marines for a long time but it seems to me that operationally wise they seem a bit neglected.

Welcome. I respectfully suggest that you further research the current operational activities and exercise committments of the Royal Marines.

One good source of current affairs information is Navy News which publishes both print and digital editions. The digital edition and the archives are free to access:
https://navynews.co.uk/

Another source of information is The Globe & Laurel journal. As you are a Royal Marines Cadet I would guess that there will be a few recent editions at your detachment.
Best of luck.

blades101

Reaction score
I have checked and apart from a short stint in Algeria by 1 assault group to train the Algerians, that is it. There seems to be no operations apart from that

Chelonian

Reaction score
There seems to be no operations apart from that

Expect the unexpected. Few had even hear of the Falkland Islands in March 1982.

The tempo of operations is variable, as are many aspects of human existence. Regardless of the service you choose to apply for—and assuming that you pass Recruit Training—the possibility is that operational committments might be somewhat different.

Williamosaurus

Reaction score
Given that the Royal Marines are the UKs rapid reaction expeditionary force then isnt it wise to make sure they are, well... ready?

D

Deleted member 20902

Hi guys,

I have been looking to join the marines for a long time but it seems to me that operationally wise they seem a bit neglected. For example, much of the army are on operational tours of Afghan in Kabul providing security and also Iraq. The army is also completing tours protecting the nature parks and also helping the African Union. The Marines as elite as they are, seems to be completing just training exercises and the occasional deployments on ships. Obviously, I know that if anything kicks off then the RMC's are the first in and some badass lads and soon lases. Now can I have any confirmation as the career in the armed forces I want to pursue is doing things like the army are currently doing. I have been in the royal marine cadets for just over 2 and a half years and have seen a few of my mates gone and join the army for this excat reasons. .If I was to join the army I would go to either a guard regiment or the RIFLES. So to say again, just some confirmation on these things I have presented. Once more I mean no disrespect.

We currently have PW teams overseas training foreign forces in Africa, SFSG actively supporting our SF, fighting company’s onboard Royal Navy ships in areas which concern NATO. I recently got sent to BVI within 5hrs notice to assist with humanitarian issues.

So the Army are doing sentry in Kabul and protecting nature parks well that sounds exciting “yawn”. If you want to join the Rifles or Guards dig out mate, I guarantee you will serve about a year and think standing still outside Buckingham Place isn’t as hoofing as it looks. And if you want to join one of the rifles 8 battalions they have then great.

Just to echo @Williamosaurus post which sums it up perfectly, The Royal Marines are the UK’s rapid reaction force. If anything kinetic, humanitarian etc happens there first in. If you want to protect nature parks and go on a sentry position and get a nice little tan then young man “The Army need you”

Omega

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like an Army recruiter has been telling whoppers to impressionable cadets. Let's guess, he was from the Rifles?

"Yes, you can be a Commando in the Army."

The acid test: Ask the son of a serving soldier whether their Dad recommends joining their regiment/corps, whatever the service.

Imperator13

Reaction score
My dad did 24 years in the army, and he told me to never join it, but was 110% behind me going into the RM. Told me they work on a different level and that they are thinking soldiers. He also worked for a long time with the paras who he also respects. No disrespect meant to any army regiments by way!

Also when I left the Marines a lad who ended up passing out as an original was ex artillery and he told me if he ever heard of me going into the army he’d have words of some sort:D

I have a mate in Iraq training them and one in Canada, but most are just say at Catterick were as most of my mates from RM are out in Asia Pacific and such!

m2013

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Damn alot of hate going the rifles way here -banghead-

It an operationally quiet period. The closest has to be proxy wars through training other armys. Im sure if something kicked off the marines and all infantry units would have a slice of it. But its always good to have quiet time where you can relax on camp and square personal things away like courses promotion courses etc

Elvis

Reaction score
Hi guys,

my tutors brother who’s in the marines just got back from sryia,

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
my tutors brother who’s in the marines just got back from sryia,
Truth is that there are Royal Marines serving in operational theatres globally but like the Army, not in a full unit strength (SF aside).

Operationally, we tend not to report on ongoing deployments until the particular task is complete, due to opsec and the nature of the Commando role.

Bottom line is the clue is in the beret badge.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I've seen a credible statistic which indicates that in over fifty years there has only been one year in which Royal Marines were not operationally deployed. Someone who knows more than I do may be able to expand on this.

A small number of Army personnel training park rangers in, say, Malawi is a high profile story for the MoD publicity machine. But tri-service training missions are fairly routine and have been for many years.

I certainly wouldn't knock any Army unit but I'd strongly suggest rigorously researching potential career paths so that one can make an informed decision.

To echo the comment by Omega there is a theoretical possibility that an Army infantryman could do a Commando course and a Para course. The probability of either happening is about zero.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
I've seen a credible statistic which indicates that in over fifty years there has only been one year in which Royal Marines were not operationally deployed. Someone who knows more than I do may be able to expand on this.

Officially 1968 was the only year in which British forces were not deployed, following the withdrawal from Aden in 1967 and the Troubles in NI starting in 1969.

I would dispute this! :cool:

Alan

Rover

Reaction score
Officially 1968 was the only year in which British forces were not deployed, following the withdrawal from Aden in 1967 and the Troubles in NI starting in 1969.

I would dispute this! :cool:

Alan

So would I.:cool:

m2013

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

A small number of Army personnel training park rangers in, say, Malawi is a high profile story for the MoD publicity machine. But tri-service training missions are fairly routine and have been for many years.

I certainly wouldn't knock any Army unit but I'd strongly suggest rigorously researching potential career paths so that one can make an informed decision.

To echo the comment by Omega there is a theoretical possibility that an Army infantryman could do a Commando course and a Para course. The probability of either happening is about zero.
Oddl enough i have met a handfull with wings in my btn but none with the commando badge

Chelonian

Reaction score
Oddl enough i have met a handfull with wings in my btn but none with the commando badge

This is probably representative of opportunity. A handful in a battalion of, say, 650 men plus.

Recruiters aren't actually lying if they say that an Army infantryman can apply to do a BPC. My advice would be to ask the CA two specific questions:

1. How many men in my prospective unit applied to do P-Company and a BPC last year?

2. How many of those men completed a BPC last year?

Rover

Reaction score
That's because any old lump can fall out of a plane, all you have to do is stop at the bottom.o_O What speed that's done at, is up to the jumper.

It is the 'stopping at the bottom' that creates the problems!;):)