Lifeguard

D

Deleted

I was just wondering whether anyone knew how to become one at a leisure centre. I can swim well but don't have any certificates, so was just wondering what I'd need to do.

In the end I believe it would stregnthen my application to the Marines.

Cheers

Carl

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
you'll need to be a first aider at least. can't remember the other quals, an ex of mine was a life guard, never really paid attention though *text deleted*. *text deleted*

D

Deleted

I just found this as entry requirements for one of the qualifications, but not sure how I'd go about applying to become one, whether you go to your local leisure centre or anything else, not a clue:

Entry Requirements

Candidates must:
  • Be able to swim 100 metres on their front and 100 metres on their back.
  • Be able to swim 50 metres in 1 minute.
  • Be able to surface dive and recover an object from the deepest part of the pool.
  • Be 16 years of age, or older, at the time of the examination.
  • Pay the requisite registration fee to the STA.
  • Attend a course of instruction for a minimum of 36 hours; this includes the Aquatic Rescue Foundation Unit.
  • (Where candidates have not undertaken prior reading and completed ARFU worksheets prior to the course then the minimum time will be 30 hours).

hobbsy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Im a lifeguard at the moment (and gym instructor at same place). All you have to do is get on a National Pool Lifeguard course, ran by RLSS, google it. They are usually held at big leisure centres, and can cost around £250 (mine was free *text deleted* im lucky *text deleted*). Its a week long with an assessment day on the last day.
You do first aid work such as CPR, bandages, dealing with shock, bleeding, heart attacks etc, you also do lifeguard theory (i.e. what to watch out for, different types of zoning) and finally you do pool work, such as spinal injuries, depth tests, casualty rescue/towing, timed swims etc. We also did "defending and relaseing" with is basically underwater self defence, which is pretty cool.
Its a good thing to do, my AFCO said it was good i had a physical job, and its also good for training as usually you get free pool/leisure centre membership at the place you work.

D

Deleted

Do you think that it would show that I can hold a position of responsibility, bearing in mind that I am going to go for Officer?

Jaycee

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
One of the leisure centres in your area may run courses for the RLSS National Pool Lifeguard qualification check them out. When my daughter attended it was run over 5 full days finishing with the test (which includes the first aid aspect - this is taught on the course). Cost a few years ago was about £180.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A596504

Once you have the qualification you can apply at leisure centres for a position, many seem to hire quite alot of casual lifeguards. Alternitavely you could ask at a centre and see if they would take you on and put you on the course. Obviously they would pay for it then, but I would imagine it could be difficult using this route as financial constraints would mean they would prefer you to have undertaken the course prior to starting.

One word of warning it's not all saving lives there is a heck of a lot of cleaning involved - set you in good stead for recruit training *text deleted*

D

Deleted

Thanks a lot:praise:

So would I be able to just pop into my local leisure centre and enquire about becoming a lifeguard?

hobbsy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah it is a boring job sometimes...well alot of the time, but it is easy. There is a lot of cleaning, especially at indoor pools, and it gets very hot on poolside, but its bearable.
I think it probably would look good as a responsible job as your becoming an officer, its worth giving it a go, and its a good laugh sometimes.

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
mate, its lush were I work as a lifeguard. The pool is shallow all the way and there is and outside and inside pool. I can sit on what pool I want, there are rarley managers in in the mornings/evenings and I do absolutly f all *text deleted*. On a 7 hour shift, I might spend about 30 minutes actually doing pool duties, 3 hours actually watching the pool from poolside, rest of the time I just wander round the place, get free food and drink, chat up the receptionist, and talk to my mates in the gym. Also ace job after you have trained hard, can just sit down and chill out and munch some food/chat up girls when your looking ripped up hahaha.

However the 3 hours I spend actually watching the pool are often 3 of the most boring hours of my life.

But yea as has been said, most local lesiure centers run the course but it costs about £210, on a sidenote, some centers if they are desperate for LG's and your shti hot, might pay to put you through it. The courses usually run during half terms or holidays, and are run over 6/7 days. Just phone up a few leisure centers and ask if they run the course!

Cool Hand Luke

Reaction score
mate, its lush were I work as a lifeguard. The pool is shallow all the way and there is and outside and inside pool. I can sit on what pool I want, there are rarley managers in in the mornings/evenings and I do absolutly f all *text deleted*. On a 7 hour shift, I might spend about 30 minutes actually doing pool duties, 3 hours actually watching the pool from poolside, rest of the time I just wander round the place, get free food and drink, chat up the receptionist, and talk to my mates in the gym. Also ace job after you have trained hard, can just sit down and chill out and munch some food/chat up girls when your looking ripped up hahaha.

However the 3 hours I spend actually watching the pool are often 3 of the most boring hours of my life.
Haha Fletch you've just perfectly described what I get upto on a shift!

It definately has its downsides though. I remember having to clean the walls in the changing rooms because some random had took a s*text deleted*t and graffitied all over the walls with their faeces *text deleted*. I got fully kitted up in white overalls, mask, wellies but out of principle couldn't be arsed to fully disinfect or whatever you're meant to do, so I just powerhosed it *text deleted*.

Do you still get free food etc? They've banned free food and drink at my place now though because of the bloody credit crunch *text deleted*. Times are hard for us lifeguards.

While your young though or in education I think it's a decent job, that does give you a fair amount of responisibilty.

D

Deleted

Thanks for the replies. Do you think they'd take on a 16 year old (17 in november) though. Just figured they might not take me seriously... I know ASDA didn't when I asked for an application form...they said sorry we don't employ under 16s. I said I was 16 and they then said they need proof of ID.

hughbrown

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Im also *text deleted* start lifesaving but here in SA it seems alot different.
You can get certified at any age but there are different levels and if you are 16 then you need to work with a senior.
But it looks awesome especially patrols/competitions and it looks like an awesome way to keep fit.
And also if my bad vision stops my Marine dreams it will look good on my application for medic/fire fighter *text deleted*.
And the birds at regattas are HAWT!

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Haha Fletch you've just perfectly described what I get upto on a shift!

It definately has its downsides though. I remember having to clean the walls in the changing rooms because some random had took a s*text deleted*t and graffitied all over the walls with their faeces *text deleted*. I got fully kitted up in white overalls, mask, wellies but out of principle couldn't be arsed to fully disinfect or whatever you're meant to do, so I just powerhosed it *text deleted*.

Do you still get free food etc? They've banned free food and drink at my place now though because of the bloody credit crunch *text deleted*. Times are hard for us lifeguards.

While your young though or in education I think it's a decent job, that does give you a fair amount of responisibilty.

Mate, for about a month I had somone *text deleted**text deleted*ting in the pool every single week, was real annoying. But thats gash, must of been actually someone with special needs or a *text deleted*er.

Technically Im not allowed free food, depends whos working, and the managers also have free food so I often do my best to have some as well. Today, I got 3 cups of coffee, a load of toast, lasagne and a packet of crisps for "free" *text deleted*. Last night got quite a few free beers, which prob wasnt good when I rolled into work at 6:30am still pretty wrecked haha. What company do you work for mate? Or is it a local one?

Also today, whilst trying to sort some stuff out I blew the saftey seals off two huge co2 canisters, sounded like two shotguns going off, I thought they were bout to explode and legged it across the car park haha, tried to walk back with my head held high but just looked like a right t.it *text deleted*.

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Do you think they'd take on a 16 year old (17 in november) though. Just figured they might not take me seriously... I know ASDA didn't when I asked for an application form...they said sorry we don't employ under 16s. I said I was 16 and they then said they need proof of ID.

They should do mate, I started at 16. Just fill out the application form well, and write a professional CV.

Distant.RM.Cooper

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Im amazed how many guy's on this forum has been or is a lifeguard im thinking of becoming one and i want to get the job because it will look good on my cv for the royal marines, i have a 2 mill leisure centre near me and about to apply for the job but *text deleted* just *text deleted* sort my course out though, one of my teachers has said that he will properly put me on a lifeguard course and i might be able to get it free :D, i doubt it though.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Yeah i was a life guard when I was 17ish did my National Pool Life Guard it was good money.

And yeah there was always some one *text deleted**text deleted*ting in the pool....all ways.

Reaction score
Lifeguarding is definatly well paid but is extremly boring. being paid to do nothing sounds good but it really isn't - it got to the point that it'd happily prefere to take the cleaning shifts (Same pay and you still have to help if there's a problem) because they were more interesting.

As for showing you have the skills to be an officer i majorly doubt it will. The majority of lifeguards ive seen are just lazy.

k mac

Reaction score
Try you're local council. I got my Rlss qualification for free, i had to return a certain amount of hours, it wokred out in my favour, look it as free phys sessions in the pool and you will learn some useful stuff!

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
As for showing you have the skills to be an officer i majorly doubt it will. The majority of lifeguards ive seen are just lazy.
You do have actually have to prove a very good level of swimming and fitness. I did a higher level one, because I working in a pool with a olypmic style diving pool. Dry diving to the bottom of one of them to retrieve a dummy. Its not nice and you really need to know what your doing.

The out come really is that water can be deadly, and life guards are trained well to deal with something should it happen.