Lifesaving fitness

hughbrown

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Howzit guys *text deleted* started a lifeguard course and my exam will be at the end of August.
The First Aid/CPR im already good at but i have been suffering from Patello-Femoral Syndrome from Rowing.
To get the award I need to only swim 400 metres in under 9 minutes which seems to me very easy, the only prob is that my legs are really lacking stamina from not being able to exercise.
The Problem i had cause bad pain on the Patella due to improper tracking due to quad imbalance.

So anyway it seems to be going down as I have exercises to correct the imbalance but do any of you have any good exercise to strenghten quads for swimming?
I managed 100 metres yesterday and I managed 200 metres today so i should be able to get the requiered 400 meters but i would like to get alot fitter than the minimum.

So if there are any swimmers out there id appreciate some imput.
Thanks gents

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I don't really know what to say as what may help you.

But if you want to strengthen your quads there are several weighted exercises you can do that will strengthen, and they are low impact so they should not affect an injury.

You may want to try some things like leg extensions, leg press, leg extensions, lunges, they all work well. Check the website out here for some quad exercises.

Hope that helps.

Turnip

Reaction score
:cool:One of my most visited sites when I was at uni, doing sports science, take a look, a lot of it may be a load of rubbish but there is a kick section half way down,

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/swimming/swimstrength.htm

Also

buy /borrow/steal yourself a float hold it out infromnt of you arms locked, and plough up and down in a local swimming session, but just to warn you its very very boring, so you may want to invest in one of those new water proof MP3 thingies that are about.

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Howzit guys *text deleted* started a lifeguard course and my exam will be at the end of August.
The First Aid/CPR im already good at but i have been suffering from Patello-Femoral Syndrome from Rowing.
To get the award I need to only swim 400 metres in under 9 minutes which seems to me very easy, the only prob is that my legs are really lacking stamina from not being able to exercise.
The Problem i had cause bad pain on the Patella due to improper tracking due to quad imbalance.

So anyway it seems to be going down as I have exercises to correct the imbalance but do any of you have any good exercise to strenghten quads for swimming?
I managed 100 metres yesterday and I managed 200 metres today so i should be able to get the requiered 400 meters but i would like to get alot fitter than the minimum.

So if there are any swimmers out there id appreciate some imput.
Thanks gents

I had that with the knees as well fella! Glad to say mine is sorted, just crack on with stretching and strenghening, you got any tape to tape your knees up with?

hughbrown

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
nope but i have exercise to strenghten my vastus mediali muscles,
and it seems to be diminishing which is great now all i need to do is get my quad stamina back *text deleted* *text deleted* i havent done lieg exercise for ages.

But if always been pretty fit so im getting there :)
but thanks forr the imput guys