Lifestyle

chorley

Reaction score
How does the lifestyle of an officer differ a commando's?

- can officers take part in the same sports events/clubs?
- do officers have the same social life as commando's when off duty?

Thank you for your help

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean. Firstly, Royal Marines Officers are also Commandos. There are not Officers and Commandos as a seperate entity.
Officers take part in all the same sports clubs as the lads, rank is seen as seperate to Sport. It's always there but you're a lot more informal within a club or team.
An Officer's social life revolves around the Officers' Mess which is a social club for Officers only. The mess will organise piss ups and formal dinners etc and is a hell of a good laugh.

S

Sotiris

I've always wondered how a young Officers lifestyle differs with a troop on tour.

I've heard it's quite a lonely life?

But then surely life is what you make it.

Are Officers encouraged to keep certain distances from their men? Or can their relationship be as open and informal as the individual deems necessary?

Reaction score
There is an element of loneliness of command but it's not too bad. I had a superb Troop Sergeant so I was fine.
You have to keep a certain distance from your marines. You are not their friend but can be friendly with them. You do need to keep the distance to ensure you do not compromise yourself. It's hard to explain really until you have experienced command.

S

Sotiris

I kind of get what you mean though.

I've been on the fence for ages, can you offer any advice on how or why I should make a decision whether to go for YO or RT?

My tutors at uni, friends and family are all encouraging me to go for Officer training. My thoughts are that for some reason they all seem to think it'll be a safer job, and of course there's the money.

But I don't think I could ever be as happy as an Officer. I've had a taste of dog soldiery while in the Greek army and I loved it.

Reaction score
If you have the potential to be an Officer, you should go that way. It's really as simple as that, you will be become steadily bored and frustrated if you are not pushed outside of your comfort zone. Believe me, Officer's do plenty of soldiering.

S

Sotiris

When/how is it established that you have the potential or not?

Or is that a decision I have to make?

Reaction score
It will be established at the AIB, there are elements that are tested on the POC but the AIB is where you will truly find out whether or not you have leadership potential. Both elements are very difficult so you may not be the one making the decision! It may well be made for you.
Joining as an Officer requires 100% commitment, if you are even slightly unsure then don't bother, only those with the highest levels of commitment and determination will enter training.
Sorry if I am being blunt, I don't want you to waste your time.

S

Sotiris

No of course.

My desire to enter the corps doesn't waver however my confidence regarding the AIB does.

I am taking steps to try and build up my "experience repetoire". Training with the British Military Fitness group and hopefully going to Kinabalu in November for 9 days of jungle survival training and a race.

I can't enter the OTC as my schedule for uni is really tight.

What would you recommend as useful activities to help improve my chances?

Reaction score
To be honest mate, it sounds like you are doing the right sort of things. I had no military experience before starting training so it doesn't make that much of a difference!!

S

Sotiris

Haha I see.

Well fitness is one thing, mentality is a different board game.

How old were you when you joined up if you don't mind me asking? Also, do you have an idea of what the average age for YO's is?

Reaction score
I got an Arts degree from Bristol University. I don't want to be too specific, I prefer to maintain my anonymity where possible! I chose to study anything provided it was at a good university!

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I'm doing a Computer Science degree and the guy at the AFCO looked a bit sceptical when I said I wanted join the Marines (in a combat role).

sb146564

Reaction score
Am doing outdoor education and physical education, looks like a really good course and hopefully stand me in good stead for the POC and AIB!

Reaction score
I'm sure any degree is fine really, provided you can write clearly. It's qualities we're looking for not qualifications as they say!

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
RMRO: I've just left Uni early as i got into some financial problems and really wasn't getting on with it, however i went to uni on an access to higher education course. As it turns out MOD doesn't rate it as highly as UCAS it's useless as an A level equivalent, is it still realistically possible to get a field commission if you join in your mid-20s? i'm joining either way but wondering nonetheless.

Reaction score
You can only get a Corps Commission if you are in the Corps and are under 26 by the time you start your application. You also need the same education qualifications as a YO joining straight in from Civy Street. It sounds like you're probably not going to be able to be commissioned with your educational qualifications.

Latest posts

New Threads