Lifting heavy weights down the gym a waste of time?

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I personally think that going to the gym to lift a lot of heavy weights is a waste of time and money. It will make your body look all buffed up but how does it effect your performance? Well I think it'll weight you down which will make you slower.

I use to go to the gym and I use to do running on the tredmill and lift heavy weights. I added a lot of muscle but at the same time I added a lot of weight with that muscle which slowed me down a lot.

I now do road running 3 times a week and boxing training 3 times a week. I much prefare it this way and my performance has shot up quicker in the last couple of weeks than my performance did over the 8 months I did in the gym.

What are your opinions on going to the gym?

jamie.english

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It depends, if you're doing less than 12 reps on heavy weights that'll make you more "buff". If you do 20+ reps, then you'll build muscle endurance. I recently gave up my gym membership because I find that when doing circuit training I can do everything at home without someone getting in the way at the gym.

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yawn.....

there is about a million threads featuring this "debate".

Richard

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yup true but never mind thats why we are here to keep giveing the same advice?
Mate yea dont lift too heavy weights unless you want to become a bodybuilder? small weights more reps, but make sure your running wont become slower, dont forget that muscle weights more then fat...

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I should just write a long thread on it debating the pros and the cons and have Ninja sticky it. I use to be a personal trainer and ex body builder, so I know a fair bit. If he agrees to it I'd write the article *text deleted*.

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
It will only slow you down if you don't work your legs aswell, if you continue to run aswell as lift big, your legs will get used to it just the same, and its not asif you're going to be adding pounds of hard muscle every week, plenty of time for your legs to get used to the microscopic weight increase each time you rest. Your legs will get stronger and will be able to carry the extra weight - which won't be much, if you do continue to run.

tcsmith88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I personally like to do my press-up, sit-up, pull-up etc circuits inside a gym because I prefer to be around people. Before I definitley decided on a career in the Forces was for me about 6 weeks ago about 15 months after originally applying my work-out's consisted primarily of a lot of medium to heavy weights.

But, for the last few weeks my work-out's have switched more to the aformentioned bodyweight exercises and they're now the basis of my work-out's. Whilst, like I've previously mentioned, started running 4 times a week. And also actual circuit classes and spinning classes when my working hours permit.

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I personally think that going to the gym to lift a lot of heavy weights is a waste of time and money. It will make your body look all buffed up but how does it effect your performance? Well I think it'll weight you down which will make you slower.

I use to go to the gym and I use to do running on the tredmill and lift heavy weights. I added a lot of muscle but at the same time I added a lot of weight with that muscle which slowed me down a lot.

I now do road running 3 times a week and boxing training 3 times a week. I much prefare it this way and my performance has shot up quicker in the last couple of weeks than my performance did over the 8 months I did in the gym.

I go to the gym once a week as I have a benchpress and 90KG of weights in my loft which I use. I also do press ups, pull ups and sit ups but I like to include weights to get stronger. I do roadrunning aswell 5 times a week and walk about 8 miles a day so Im ok in that bit.
The gym at mine only costs me £2.60 and I do a bit of everything apart from benchpress as I already have one at home. I like to practice on the treadmill aswell but I dont see the harm in going to the gym.

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the opinion guys. Sorry if this thread has been done to death, I only signed up yesterday.

Next time I'll use the search buttom :cheesy:

Anyway, I think I'll now stick to the circuit training and road running but yeah if you enjoy the gym and do muscle endurance exercises, than maybe that will suit you but I found out myself that circuit training and road running is actually a lot better than going to the gym.

jamie.english

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with Ty. There should be a sticky on this. I used to be a body builder when I was 19. I'm now 23. I know quite a bit, i think we our knowledge, it can be solved in a sticky!

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Pre-join? Mainly a waste of time, body weight is better for leaner muscle builds which are required.

If i get in? *text deleted**text deleted* yea, I'd like to be a tank:biggrin:

lharlowl

Reaction score

Yeah, I do a similar routine to you and i base it around my boxing. Although i run 5-6 days of the week. I think that this is the best way to prepare for the marines, however that doesn't mean that weight lifting would hinder you in any way it's just unnecessary. If you currently do it and enjoy it though why stop, as long as you can reach all the required standards in other areas?

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Is running 5 - 6 times a week advisable though? I'm just thinking where would the recovery be? What runs do you do then?

To be honest I don't like the fact of exercising in a gym anymore. Exercising to me is hardcore so I'd rather do it the hardcore way... like on a cold winters morning. Ask Rocky Balboa :laugh:

No but really, if you enjoy it then there is nothing wrong with the gym but my opinion is you should have your own training program which doesn't involve the gym, because at Lympstone in the 32 weeks about 99.999% of things will be done in the cold, the dirt so that's why I prefare now to mainly train in the outside rather than inside a luxary warm gym with a/c.

This is motavating - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gB1DD56gp6g&NR=1

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
At risk of winding-up the keen advocates of pumping huge amounts of weight, including some of whom who will not be passed fit for entry, there's not a lot of point making this a sticky to be honest as the endless debate will rage regardless.

As repeatedly stated, to pass Recruit Training, you need to be reasonably lithe & able to run the distance with balanced/proportional upper body strength. If you go too far down either track you will suffer unduly in training, if you get that far.

Those Marines who choose to pump iron and substantially develop their upper body muscle mass do so after completing training, not before. There will always be the exception to the rule admittedly & likewise countless beefy rugby players scoff at the BMI scale, claiming they can run at speed over the distance & think they know better - many believe it's a conspiracy against them, it isn't. They generally revise their thoughts after undergoing Recruit Training, or sooner.

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
Ninja,

If someone can't get through RT built like Arnie, why are Marines allowed to get like that afterwards? It seems rather self-defeating. To get to the peak of combat fitness then do a pile of weights, put on weight and muscle that you don't need and become less 'combat fit.'

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
You still take a BFT & CFT after Recruit Training which also requires mental fitness, but they don't involve the same prolonged peak of CV physical fitness endurance required to pass the training leading up to and completing the Commando Tests.

You need to be very fit to pass the CFT, but can afford to carry more muscle mass than you can in Recruit Training.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Weights

Guys: I would totally agree with Ninja_Stoker on this. If you are using weights to build your muscle mass and strength up, then use light weights and lots of reps. i.e. 20 to 40 reps or more per set, for each body part. Your basic training will be focused on strength and endurance, rather than just sheer strength.

After training, as stated, you can lift heavy weights, if that's what you want to do.

Note: I had a colleague who went on to be a world champion powerlifter, a couple of years ago. So there ya go.

Cheers

Steve

JOEY

Reaction score
HOW IS GOING TO THE GYM A WASTE OF TIME? i go to the gym four to five times a week due to the fact that i like the atmosphere and there a machines there that help me make many of my bodys muscles stronger. Just as long as you know youre own body weight you can stick within that weight limit and just build on you're muscle endurance. But if you go to the gym to lift weights that are heavier than you body weight then i dont really see the point. I weigh 72kgs and can bench press a rep or two of 100kgs which is good to knw but thats not what i go down gym for doing lots of reps of 50-60 kgs is better.