Lifting Weights

J

Jason_A

Hi guys,

Do you lot actually do any weights, or do you just concentrate more on the press-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, ect ect?

I bench press quite a lot, but I always do press-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, ect ect in my training program.

If you benchpress, what weight do you life & how many do you do?

-- Jason

chrystal19

Reaction score
I used to be quite a seriouly W/L and could bench press 220lbs. But then I wanted to join the marines and needed to be able to run. Now I just do press ups, sit ups, pull ups, dips, all different running distances and HIIT on an exercise bike.

Mnemic5

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Currently benching 110kg 2 reps unnasisted..

mrdanie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I think its important to maintain an all round level of strength and to not just stick to the basic pressups situps etc, so i incorporate various machines and weight exercises into my routine aswell as doing situps pressups chinups etc. not to the extent of heavy weight lifting but with lower weights and higher sets. When i bench i usually do about 40kg max unsupported, which isnt heavy but i just do those in about sets of ten, about 3 sets then move on to the next piece of equipment.
Personally though aswell as improving on fitness and stamina i have a look that i like to keep, being a small guy looking a bit muscly can make you seem bigger..from further away. Though toned muscly, not meat head style :p

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind doing a few weights and bulking up a bit - rather than being a skinny *text deleted**text deleted*, but every time i go out running and feeling knackered i think "*text deleted*, i wouldnt mind being 2 stone lighter right now!"

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i do weights twice a week but at quite low weights (60% max) and high reps (15), as RM don't really want to be too bulky but i personally feel i still need a decent amount of strength, although you can get them from bodyweight exercises i find it easier to control what i'm doing and how much with set weights. that being said i was previously only doing body weight and it worked for me. i still do body weight exercises three times a week.

tripper

Reaction score
i love the bench press, do it about twice a week. try doin 5 sets in this pattern...

80% 1repMax x6

70% x9

60% x12

50% x15

40% x20

i honestly dont know why i do it like this, but it gives a good burn. if you find it too easy try raising the reps

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I did WL/BB before joining.. Just got back into it again though, trying to put on a little mass before I go to RT *text deleted*, the med guy reccomended against it and it will most likely come off due to not eating enough(slow eater) but *text deleted**text deleted* it, I enjoy it and it will be muscle.

And contrary to what most might think, a fair few of the recruits down at CTC are quite bulky, not all twigs *text deleted*.

I just stick to Bench, Deadlifts, Hack Squats(since I don't have a rack), Barbell rows then all the isolations.

My bench is terrible, I think I did 70kg 5 reps the other day. My chest is my weakest part & underdeveloped though no doubt and it also shows in my pushups *text deleted*.

Looks good tripper I think i'll try that.

Hoppy99

Royal Marines Commando Officer
Reaction score
i work on a 2:1 basis so if i do i set of bench i will do 2 sets of press ups (i enjoy claps!!) i generally do these at the end of the sesh so as to test myself!!:rolleyes:

bench wise i do 5 sets of 12 with 35 kg in each hand.

guys if possible stay away from barbells for bench as it reduces the need for stabilising muscles and therefore means that you're arms are only used to working in one plane!! this makes you more liable to injury, not what you need when your about to go into rt or prmc/poc!!:doh:

jakejones

Reaction score
bench around 240lb for 1 at max.
jus work up to max then drop weight 3 working sets.

also do alot of deadlifts 452lb and squats 315lb i train every aspect of the body cudnt stick to sit ups press ups and pulls ups because would lose a lot of strength.

M

MTW

never done weights, just do own body weight stuff, i would if i could, but im a big built guy and if i do weights i just seem to blow up. last time i had a crack on mates bench just to see what max bench i could do managed 124k 1 rep (freeweight).

Layden23

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
basically you want to make sure your body never gets use to anything. mix your weigh training with body weight training, so do bench presses and a dumbells for your triceps, then the next day do *text deleted* pressups and weighted tricep dips. obviously along with all this you have to eat right and don't forget your abs.
and of course during all this do lots and lots of running, and mix that up as well, don't just do long distance or constantly working your 3 miler but throw in a couple fartleks and hill sprints.
if you keep mixing up your routine, but make sure u have something to do almost every day then your body cannot get used to anything and will therefore build faster and stronger.
also don't do to much with weights *text deleted* too much bulk will slow you down while running =D
hope that helped mate