Likelihood of joining

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by Something Original, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Something Original

Something Original New Member

So did a stupid, managed to have a bike accident while training at weekend, and got merked up pretty badly, but I came off pretty well, all things considered. Still ended up having road rash chew me up pretty badly, nearly severed a lip (reattached and healing with stiches; Max Fax clinic coming to heal), lost a couple of teeth, but more worrying for me is the breakage of both Radius at the elbow joint. Sadly, my brain was completely detached, found at the road side - limp and clearly unused - it was declared DOA when I got to A&E.

I have had no pins or surgery and I understand that I must be 12 months clear, but I have been told that I may not get a completely full extension in my limbs as a result of the injury. I am hoping this is a doctor being over cautious with my expectations by saying that rather than a definite, and it is only early days yet - it was only a week ago.

My right arm still experiencing slight pain - especially on extreme lateral and medial rotation, and when forcing my arm into a full straighten, although it has returned to its usual shape. It have begun to keep it out of the sling now. The left arm was apparently a worse break, but still not surgery-required; this one is much more painful with lower rotational thresholds and I can only maintain an unsupported 120 degree RoM in that arm, with a slightly more noticeable bend in the elbow when held by my side at neutral. It is already much better than it was immediately after the crash with at best 45 deg ROM.

I am to go to physio-therapy through the hospital soon, but I can imagine that they're going to be none too willing to keep me on the books for very long because it's the north, so I'm thinking a gym might be a worthwhile investment.

Has anyone in or out overcome this injury, either in the build up to commencement of training, or while being in? I'd be grateful for any times I can use to maintain my level of fitness. Obvious, push ups and pull ups are not an option, as is running due to the lack of balance I currently have and the jarring being painful (plus risk of further injury should I fall ).

Only real plan so far is to keep up with stuff like backpack weighted squats and lower leg machine work, as well as kick-stroke drills in the pool, but I'm worried that's going to build up weight and muscle I've spent a lot of time burning off to get my Run times down without actually doing much more my fitness. Any advice? Should I maintain that, or is it better to sit the month off, chill and have a few beers and then build back to up it?

Any bridging exercises to get me back up to the stage of where I was (8 pull ups, 60 push ups) once the bones have knitted?

Also - is missing a pair of teeth, and, in all likelihood getting a bridge a bar for entry - I'm guessing ongoing work is a bar for entry, but is there a cooling off period post that stage? I lost 2 in the crash.

TL:DR, Gravity sucks.

2. Banshee

Banshee Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Are you alive haha

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  3. Something Original

Something Original New Member

The pain tells me I am, so going to crack on man, and make the best of it. Even if I do look like I have a hair lip

• Like Like x 1