Likely Going to Fail Hyper mobility Test at f2f, Do I even Bother proceeding further with my application?

Rheebound01

Reaction score
I've got double jointed elbows :(, I'm a commonwealth lad (New Zealand) so am wondering if going through the process to get to my f2f medical is even worth it...

I did the Beighton Test at home a wee while ago and I scored a 2/9, with both points coming from my elbows hyperextending a bit, having a read of JSP346 (Yes I am aware its outdated) and JSP 950, I managed to find this from JSP346 which outright means I'm unfit but with JSP 950 being the newer version I'm curious as to whether I could be labeled fit.

Candidates with a formal diagnosis of hypermobility syndrome are graded P8 (I haven't been diagnosed hypermobile by my doctor or anything and I did get a 2/9 Beighton score)
If hypermobility results in more than 10 degrees of hyperextension in either knee or elbow, candidates are graded P8.

Where as JSP 950 states
"Candidates with hyperextension of >10° in either knee are graded P8146" No mention of elbow except in 2 places:

Elbow. Candidates with less than 15° loss of extension150 and, or flexion (usually following injury) with normal pronation and supination and able to hold a prolonged (more than 20 secs) press-up position (elbows flexed, in accordance with Section 3 Paragraph 19. b.) symptom-free may be graded U2. Those with greater loss are usually graded P8U8 although referral may be indicated. Candidates who have lost more than 20 of either pronation or supination are graded P8U8. Varus or valgus angulation should not preclude entry provided that normal function can be demonstrated.

Any residual instability or loss of functional capacity is graded no higher than MLD except:
a. Where the loss is of the last 5° - 10° of full extension which may be graded P2 MFD.
b. individuals with a loss of greater than 20° of pronation or supination should be graded no higher than MLD.
c. Those with a varus or valgus deformity can be graded P2 MFD provided a functional assessment against role related and military tasks is satisfactory.

I've no clue what these paragraphs means at all, maybe someone could help me decipher it?

@Ninja_Stoker

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I'd be inclined to ask your GP to conduct the Beighton Test and then submit the results to the processing AFCO with a covering letter to the effect: "it is requested the enclosed medical notes are forwarded to the Service Entry Medical Cell to determine if I am within acceptable parameters for entry into the Royal Marines".

Fingers crossed - pardon the pun, things are as you would hope. I'd hate to be the guy hazarding a guess, only to find out I was incorrect.

Best o'luck.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
@Ninja_Stoker

Do you think it's worth doing even if I haven't been diagnosed with Hyper mobility Syndrome? It's literally just my elbows and nothing else :/
It's a long way to travel if you are subsequently knocked back at the face to face medical, so I'd be inclined to find out before investing a lot of money.

Your shout.

The guide

Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure
Reaction score
@Rheebound01 Would fully agree with all that @Ninja_Stoker has written, just one major point of note the extracts you have given are from section 5 of the JSP and apply to in-service ranks so totally differing rules in many cases - the rules for you (pre-entry) are listed in section JSP950 , SECTION 4 , ANNEX K - do not worry about JSP346 - entry is taken from the 950

Rheebound01

Reaction score
@The guide

Cheers for the answer, Its just somewhat expensive for me to see my GP in New Zealand, I think I'll be upfront with the nurse during the triage call about it. And the sections I quoted (From JSP 950) are found in section 4 too.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
There will be repetition os some bit,s but you can only apply section 4.!, none of section 5.
Spot-on. Fully appreciate @The guide is better informed than me, but just to endorse (so you have it in stereo, @Rheebound01), ignore Section 5 entirely, it really does apply to trained ranks only, not applicants or recruits in training.

Saracen1

Reaction score
It's a long way to travel if you are subsequently knocked back at the face to face medical, so I'd be inclined to find out before investing a lot of money.

@The guide

Cheers for the answer, Its just somewhat expensive for me to see my GP in New Zealand, I think I'll be upfront with the nurse during the triage call about it. And the sections I quoted (From JSP 950) are found in section 4 too.
Hi Rheebound01

After recent events involving my lad and hypermobility, this is a subject close to my heart at the moment, look at my recent posts, the implications if you don’t find out before coming to the UK could be very expensive.

My lad passed two f2f medicals then was injured this week in ROP with shin splints and subsequently found to have hypermobility.

So, although I am sure an unusual set of circumstances, he is being medically discharged for I believe the shin splints, tbc tomorrow, but CTC’s diagnosis of hypermobility is now on his record so almost certainly will not be able to reapply in the future.

So what I am saying is that as well as @Ninja_Stoker’s comment, you could come to the UK, pass the f2f, go home, return to the UK for ROP / RT where something occurs that flags up you do actually have the hypermobility in the elbows and potentially off you go back home.

Rheebound01

Reaction score
@Saracen1

I did see your post history while digging around for this. I'm very sorry about what happened, I'd be soul crushed if that were to happen to me.

After a bit of research I've found out that to my luck, while I have hyper mobile elbows, I do not have joint hyper mobilty syndrome as I do not experience any pain or any other symptoms and I was born with double jointed elbows. While this would certainly see me as unfit in JSP 346, the Updated JSP 950 sees me as fit.

Is there any hope of your lad reapplying in the future? Where was his hypermobility located?

Saracen1

Reaction score
@Saracen1

I did see your post history while digging around for this. I'm very sorry about what happened, I'd be soul crushed if that were to happen to me.

After a bit of research I've found out that to my luck, while I have hyper mobile elbows, I do not have joint hyper mobilty syndrome as I do not experience any pain or any other symptoms and I was born with double jointed elbows. While this would certainly see me as unfit in JSP 346, the Updated JSP 950 sees me as fit.

Is there any hope of your lad reapplying in the future? Where was his hypermobility located?
@Rheebound01

Thanks for your comments.

After the shin splints were causing a problem during the sprint exercises the Med Centre confirmed they believed it was shin splints but the radiographer was not available so he is still at CTC and will have an x-ray later today (Monday) to rule out a stress fracture.

His notes would have shown he appealed a PMU for an avulsion fracture to the knee and associated ACL injury which is, I think, why the physio carried out the Beighton Test to see if there was any link.

Apparently he scored 9/9, so hypermobile in all areas tested, hence the concern how the two f2f medicals missed this.

CTC are also giving him a blood test so we may have more answers then.

I believe he will be formally discharged for the shin splints and advised that with the hypermobility on the record that although he may technically be able to reapply in 12 months if he could prove the shin splint issue was resolved, the reality being his record would flag up the hypermobility leading to an automatic PMU at the very least.

So although we need to see the results of his meeting with the med team it is unlikely he would be able to reapply.

I wish you all the best and will be keeping an eye on your posts to watch your progress.