Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Living in USA but born in UK

Discussion in 'Overseas Section' started by expat95, Oct 24, 2016.

1. expat95

expat95 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    The title says most of it. I'm in my teens and plan to join after college unless something changes. I'm curious about whether or not I'd be able to join. I was born in the UK, but moved with my family when I was four years old.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. telemark

telemark Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    If you are a UK citizen, you can join. I also was born in the UK but have spent most of my life in the USA. The process will take longer - you will need a residency waiver because you haven't lived in the UK for the five consecutive years before you join, which will take some time.

Happy to answer any other questions because it sounds like you're in the same situation as I am.

3. expat95

expat95 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    @telemark what does a residency waiver entail? just proving I've lived in the US and not some arbitrary country, or what? And on average, how much longer? I don't want to get out of college, go through the delayed app process and then be too old.

Thanks a ton though

4. telemark

telemark Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    The residency waiver is attached to the security clearance process. You'll list all the places you've lived, countries visited, things like that. It's not difficult, just a lot of information if you've moved around like I have.

They say it takes 4-6 months, but I'm currently on month 7 of waiting for my residency waiver. I'm hoping it comes in by the end of the year so I can start training early 2017. Don't worry about being too old, you have until you're ~30 to join.

Also read this thread if you haven't yet: http://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/applications-from-the-united-states-of-america.11649/

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  5. expat95

expat95 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    @telemark Thank you so much, really appreciate it. Absolutely great info that will help me loads.

So cool to see such a friendly community with (as some would say, not me though) quite the unfriendly job.

• Like Like x 1
  6. telemark

telemark Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    No problem, happy to help. Feel free to ask anything else in this thread or directly message me.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The residency waiver includes providing references, copies of any visas, a police check print/certificate, copy of your Birth Certificate and Passport.

For a residency waiver, you need to hold a valid UK passport. If, besides the UK passport, you hold any other, then you also need to produce a letter from that country's Armed Forces that demonstrates you have no prior military reserve or recall liability and are free to join the UK Armed Forces.

Good luck.

8. expat95

expat95 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    @Ninja_Stoker might take a while. I have 4 passports (South africa, UK, Ireland, US)

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Ooh, that's going to sting :)

10. expat95

expat95 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    What would be the ideal application process of someone in my position? Taking into account time and college @Ninja_Stoker

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Best bet is establish comms at an early stage with London AFCO overseas desk to confirm eligibility and projected start date, about three months ahead of your intended trip to UK. They can be contacted on: [email protected]

12. expat95

expat95 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    @Ninja_Stoker how early should I plan on contacting them? Still quite a few years before I apply (about 5-6)