Loan

DRichardson

Reaction score
Hey guys just a quicky.

Do you have less of a chance getting in if you have a outsatanding loan?

M

MTW

im pretty sure you cant, i think i remeber them saying that any outstanding finacial debt has to be paid, but im not sure, ask your afco, or pm ninjastoker on here for a difinative answer.

rogue royal

Royal Marine Commando
Reaction score
yes you can get in if you have an outstanding loan, just make sure that your payments are upto date if you have defaulted on the loan it will be picked up in your security search.

people that join up have a mortgage and that is only the same as a loan but on a bigger scale.

if they stopped everybody joining up who had outstanding debt then they would be stupid as most people have some kind of debt.

cheers rogue.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
yes you can get in if you have an outstanding loan, just make sure that your payments are upto date if you have defaulted on the loan it will be picked up in your security search.

people that join up have a mortgage and that is only the same as a loan but on a bigger scale.

if they stopped everybody joining up who had outstanding debt then they would be stupid as most people have some kind of debt.

cheers rogue.

Spot on.

The only issue is defaulted payments, CCJs & bankruptcy.

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Is it not also the case that the loan repayments must be lower than your earnings during RT?

I told the CPO at my AFCO that I rented my apartment and had bills and he said these are classed as debts!? I found this slightly ammusing as once I start RT they would disappear. Very odd.

Boataimer

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
how big a deal is it ninja. i missed a couple of car repayments bout 5 months ago but im all up to date at the mo. also my finances have been *text deleted**text deleted* over the last year or so mainly dut to me starting up my own business, ive had to do the inevitable ducking and diving a few times, but nothing to the point where anyones tried taking me to court, just a few missed payments on stuff here and there. i gave in my security form 3 months ago and it still hasnt come back im starting to think my past shenanigans might have gone against me.

is this the sort of thing that might halt my application. ive also got a loan but should i pass prmc ill be selling 2 cars to pay it off and other than a mortgage ill own nothing to no-one when i start rt so its kind of a catch 22 situation.

ive been on weekly phys sessions with my afco for the last month and despite them saying im ready for prmc, they say they cant book me on one because my security clearance hasnt come back.

can you shed any light as im getting worried im just waiting for bad news

thanks mate
grimesy

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
ive been on weekly phys sessions with my afco for the last month and despite them saying im ready for prmc, they say they cant book me on one because my security clearance hasnt come back.

Weekly Phys sessions? Explain?

Boataimer

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
my afcos said that they wouldnt send anyone down for prmc unless they had assessed their fitness. so they ask you go down to afco and they look at your pressups, situps and chinups, take you on a run, do some circuit training etc etc. most people go once or twice but I choose to go every week as i dont have a prob trying to get work off to do it.

its really good, as painful as it is i like geting beasted by the royal down there as if i can crack whatever he throws at me i feel more confident about prmc. i lasts about to hours and is quite intense but its good to get pushed so hard and train with other potentials.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Which afco are you at?

I wish mine would do that

Boataimer

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
im at luton mate, obviously not dropping any names but they are a good bunch down there and they seem like they want to help as much as possible to get you through selection.

Raz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
im at luton mate, obviously not dropping any names but they are a good bunch down there and they seem like they want to help as much as possible to get you through selection.

I've been invited to train at the local barracks every week in preparation for PRMC, it is very useful , I'm in leeds(barracks are just up the road from afco.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
how big a deal is it ninja. i missed a couple of car repayments bout 5 months ago but im all up to date at the mo. also my finances have been *text deleted**text deleted* over the last year or so mainly dut to me starting up my own business, ive had to do the inevitable ducking and diving a few times, but nothing to the point where anyones tried taking me to court, just a few missed payments on stuff here and there. i gave in my security form 3 months ago and it still hasnt come back im starting to think my past shenanigans might have gone against me.

is this the sort of thing that might halt my application. ive also got a loan but should i pass prmc ill be selling 2 cars to pay it off and other than a mortgage ill own nothing to no-one when i start rt so its kind of a catch 22 situation.

can you shed any light as im getting worried im just waiting for bad news

thanks mate
grimesy

Generally your monthly outgoings/commitments must be less than 50% of your projected net income (around £770net per month starting pay).

Defaulted loan payments & CCJs can be a bar to security clearance- if they are a problem the Defence Vetting Agency (DVA) will send you an additional financial questionnaire. Sometimes you may be required to gain a "letter of satisfaction" from your creditors to indicate you have made goo any mssed payments.

Security Clearance usually takes 8 to 10 weeks once submitted to DVA- bear in mind many AFCOs don't submit the form to DVA until you pass PRMC as they cost at least around £2,500 to process.

By the way, in case you wondered, it costs about £7,000 to process every potential Royal Marine up until they start Recruit Training.

Is it not also the case that the loan repayments must be lower than your earnings during RT?

I told the CPO at my AFCO that I rented my apartment and had bills and he said these are classed as debts!? I found this slightly ammusing as once I start RT they would disappear. Very odd.

The simple fact is that many people continue to rent accommodation even after they have joined, thus stretching their wages too far & defaulting rental payments. You can be discharged for "financial irresponsibility" as people who are short of cash often end up borrowing money which can cause untold problems and even dishonesty- a situation best avoided if you upset someone that is issued a loaded weapon!

M

MTW

7000! wow.....doesnt it cost almost 100k os some ridiculous figure like that to put a recruit through RT? or have i made that up!?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
7000! wow.....doesnt it cost almost 100k os some ridiculous figure like that to put a recruit through RT? or have i made that up!?

It sounds entirely credible- not sure what the figure actually is nowadays, I'll try to find out.

It's easy to understand why the selection is so rigorous & why we tend to give short shrift to time-wasters or people who miss appointments especially when we are looking to invest tens of thousands of dib-dobs in training each individual.

M

MTW

im sure i heard the figure somewhere, cant remeber where tho, but yea you dont think about how much things must cost when your going through the stages, which is probably why it must be so frustrating when for the afco when people change their mind, was having a chat with the WO down at the afco the other day, he was telling me bout some bloke who packed in RT after a couple of weeks, can understand why it pissed him off now!

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
my afcos said that they wouldnt send anyone down for prmc unless they had assessed their fitness. so they ask you go down to afco and they look at your pressups, situps and chinups, take you on a run, do some circuit training etc etc. most people go once or twice but I choose to go every week as i dont have a prob trying to get work off to do it.

its really good, as painful as it is i like geting beasted by the royal down there as if i can crack whatever he throws at me i feel more confident about prmc. i lasts about to hours and is quite intense but its good to get pushed so hard and train with other potentials.

*text deleted*, id prefer that to fitness first test. Shame that isnt the normal way to get to prmc.

Edit to post:
I remember about my grandad talking about joining the forces - he was grammer school (can do maths i only dream about in his head) and joined the RAF for some reason. He had (and scarily enough still has) high fitness and didnt need to go through all the stuff we do - within a month he was in the forces.
Makes you think though I guess, how times have changed?

And yes MTW, its at least 100k for a basic soldier each year in the military o_O

rmc_86

Reaction score
Hello guys, its might be classed as off topic but do criminal charges go against you even if you have no criminal record?

Thanks H

M

MTW

how do you get criminal charges and not have them recorded? not guilty?

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
if you're discharged under the rehab act 1974 they're spent after 6 months.
NINJA/ADMIN/ANYONE!!:
are defaults on loan payments a permanent bar even if they're cleared? *text deleted* i have previously defaulted, though they're paid now, not had any problems with it yet, but always get worried when i hear about barrs to entry...

mrdanie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I had just a caution a few years ago, drunken dishorderly, £80 fine and night in a cell. But they said if the fine was paid within the time then there would be no criminal record, but they could still use the information for any other matters if they arose in the future..

Also would a student loan be considered as debt during application?