Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Long distance running and non alergic rhinitis

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by sdc14px90, May 7, 2020.

1. sdc14px90

sdc14px90 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I saw an article while trying to figure out my own health, in a study published in the Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, 56% of endurance athletes experienced rhinorrhea (rhinitis) when exercising outdoors. I've been increasing my running distance since I started taking my fitness training seriously andI have noticed my nose always starts to run after a certain number of miles. my rhinitis is non allergic and has been happening since my childhood during sports.

I have been running without tissues as I wouldn't be able to whip out a pack of cleanex whenever I want in PRMC, the nose running is manageable but just means I start mouth breathing and eventually swallowing air (i.e. not a big issue but can be annoying as good breathing is important to reach your v02 max). GP couldn't do anything and just gave me steroid nasal spray in case it was allergy induced - but I already knew it wasn't.

Does anyone have any advice on how to overcome this or tips on managing it while long distance running/ doing exercise?

2. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando Moderator

Mate. You're joining the Corps. To clarify, are you asking how to overcome a runny nose when running?

• Hoofin Hoofin x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  3. sdc14px90

sdc14px90 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Haha well it sounds a bit wet when you put it like that... I was just surprised by the article at how many people dealt with it as chronic rhinitis is a bar from entry on medical eligibility.

I'm training to do my first marathon after covid so thought why not ask advice from the best endurance people around.

4. Rob20

For a start I have no idea about this, in terms of it being a bar to entry. However, how the hell would you even get diagnosed with this? I'd question someone who went to a GP Surgery because they get a runny nose.

Im trying to do my best and give constructive advice here:
    1- spit/snort it out like every lad does all down the back of the blokes trousers infront of ya and crack on

2- do not ever whilst at a military establishment say "yes I have a runny nose" if asked does anyone have any injuries.

I suggest, especially with what's going on tomorrow, you look at what it is you're trying to become

• Hoofin Hoofin x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. sdc14px90

sdc14px90 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I would pay a lot to see the outcome of someone doing this.

PS sounds like someone is suggesting the raf

6. Rob20

Im not suggesting anything other than what I've said.

You're new to the forum and welcome. I genuinely like helping lads where I can, but you also need to recognise the career you're looking at.

Out of interest, what motivates you to join the Corps?

Whats your phys like currently?

Have you applied yet?

Gen, I'll help anyone, aslong as they take it seriously and respect the process.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  7. sdc14px90

sdc14px90 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I was joking with the last bit but I appreciate the help . Thanks very much.

As for motivation I've always needed to achieve more to be satisfied and I always looked up to and put serving in the Corps on a pedestal as such a big challenge, plus when I go in places for work experience average jobs just look so depressing.

Currently a 20 min 5K, can do max around 40 consecutive push ups/sit ups, but lack upper body strength as only managed to do more than 3 push ups for the first time this year.

Definitely not applied yet. Still only half way through engineering masters so have lots of time to look into what I really want out of life and what are schoolboy fantasies I thought would be cool.

More dumb questions: Coming soon.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

An awareness of one's health is good but be wary of falling into the category of being a 'worried well' person.
    It's the "thinking man's service" not the "over-thinking man's service". :)

I always regard a dollop of snot trailing from my nostrils as an indicator of moderate effort when I run.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kingsman

Kingsman Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Rhinitis is an actual thing for those that don’t know. It can (can, in some cases) cause issues with phys because if it’s bad it restricts breathing as well as increases occurrence of things like chest infections because your nose is always blocked (like you cannot breathe through your nose at all it’s like it’s constantly clipped shut) so are only breathing through your mouth which apparently increases the risk, in some cases your sinuses swell up and you aren’t the best looking person if that happens *text deleted*. I used to have it and yes had actual doctors appointments because of how many chest infections I was getting but it went over time, it usually disappears by your 20s. The above is only if you’ve got it bad, really nothing to worry about for most people, except for probably being nicknamed ’snotty nose’.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DJANGO

DJANGO Valuable Contributor

I always just thought it was my nostrils sweating

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. sdc14px90

sdc14px90 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I can't agree more, this is definitely something I need to work on.

Since being treated for depression I have steered away from telling myself to man up but when it comes to my health I (unfortunately) do fall into that category. I'll keep working on it because I know worrying about little things definitely does more harm than good.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kangarooj

Kangarooj Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I lick my lips usually

13. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

It's easy for any of us to identify an apparent symptom and then research it. The problem often lies in the absence of any context and the tendency for any of us to focus on the worst case scenario no matter how unlikely that scenario is.

@Kingsman makes a fair point inasmuch as rhinitis has a broad spectrum of severity of symptoms. But for the vast majority of those not formally diagnosed with the condition it is often a consequence of phys which is beyond that undertaken by the majority of the population.

• Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  14. Hubb97

Hubb97 Veteran Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    In my roughly 4 years of running I don’t think I’ve had a single run where I haven’t had to release a ‘snot rocket’ at least once. It’s not a medical condition it just ‘happens’,
    I’d just crack on if I were you.