Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Long Term Shin Splints

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by Corona, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Corona

Corona Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Looking for some advice with regards to the dreaded shin splints. I've had shin pain, while walking/running/doing nothing for about a year and a few weeks now and I'm just looking to see if anyone has had anything similar/any advice etc.

I went to the physio for them about 4 times, she couldn't fathom out what was causing it other than using my toes too much, having tight calves, weak glutes and a bad gait (pronation?). She's recomended me to go to a foot and gait clinic to get orthoptics made and given (all kept off medical record). She also did an ultra sound type looking test but didn't actually say what it was/what the results meant so I presume it was all fine.

Since then, I've been:
    • Wall stretch (calves) 3X daily, 20 seconds
    • Sitting heel stretch 1X daily, 30 seconds
    • Walk on heels 4X daily, 30 seconds
    • Exercises to stop me using my toes so much daily
    • Icing when painful, 20 minutes at a time, up to 4 times a day
    • Strengthening exercises for my calves, glutes, thighs etc (I think support muscles was the term she used?)
    Weirdly, when I play baseball/cricket with my friends and run around a lot I don't seem to feel the pain. I don't know if its adrenaline or what, but then today doing a warm up, the pain was there.

If anyone has any advice for more treatment exercises I can do, that'd be great. I've read a lot about prevention, so they shouldn't come back.

Thanks, apologies for the essay

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  3. StrSam

StrSam Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I have the same problem buddy!
    Physio said to it might be partly due to my running style (forefoot running so extra pressure on the calf) but he said my calf muscles are strong enough, and that the pain might be caused by an imbalance with the other muscles around the shin. He said to me to stop calf exercises as they arent needed and just to stretch and foam roll it out a lot. I'm doing lots of ankle mobility stuff and dorsiflexion strengthening starting from 2 weeks ago so too early to tell but could keep you updated.
    Still icing and taking it super slow.

Is your 'pain' actually pain? Or does it just feel like a weakness? Mine doesn't hurt me per se, but It doesnt feel 'right'. I could run through if needs be but I know it wouldn't be good for me in rt when I'm actually hanging out my *text deleted*.
    Have you also looked into your running technique? Maybe ask the physio to analyse your running?

As mean as it sounds, it makes me feel better knowing someone else is in the same boat!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Corona

Corona Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I'll have to check out the ankle mobility stuff, willing to try anything now. What kind of exercises are you doing?

I think its what you're describing, I wouldn't say it hurt but it sure doesn't feel right, and same with the running.

Physio told me I had too much a spring in my step, using my toes a bit much as well as pronating, and suggested insoles and a gait anyalysis in order to help 'fix', so I'll definitely be doing that. Hopefully we'll be able to get them fixed asap, want to get life rolling now school is done for good.

Thanks for the replies, greatly appreciated.

5. TheRents

TheRents Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    @Corona

Take care with regard to insoles/inserts. If these are prescribed for you it can be a bar to entry on medical grounds
    My lad ended up having to go down this route whilst in training. He was told that if he left he would be unable to rejoin on medical grounds
    Hopefully the guys with professional knowledge might see this and be able to chip in

Best of luck to you

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. StrSam

StrSam Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Google anything you dont understand:
    So I'm doing lots of Calf and soleus stretches, mainly by putting my forefoot on a stair step and letting my heel drop (bend the knee a bit for the soleus stretch)
    With a resistance band, I'm doing lots of ankle inversion and eversion strengthening, as well as dorsiflexion strengthening with the band.
    Ankle mobility is involving a 'single leg compass' on each leg, and my favourite (if you could call boring rehab exercises that) is:
    Grab a 8kg/10kg kettlebell, Balance on one leg (preferably without shoes) and hold the kettlebell in one hand on your side. The uneven weight on that side of your body will cause your core and your ankle to be strengthened to avoid collapsing (for things like running). After 15 seconds slowly swap the kettlebell to the other side whilst still maintaining balance and hold for 15 seconds etc etc. You should feel that the muscles in your feet are working overtime to keep a nice arch.

Just a little disclaimer so I don't get told off by the big boys (and girls) In the forum:
    This is MY rehab and is made for MY body, so I'm not saying that this will sort out your shinnies, I'm just trying to give you and whoever reads this after you, as much info as I possible can. Maybe look into less calf strengthening and do the opposite.

I had insoles when I was your age too, and I personally would not recommend it. You can't go through your whole life wearing them so work to strengthen the ankle instead.

Any more questions or advice just ask!

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  7. Corona

Corona Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks, I will make sure to remember this.

Wow hugely detailed thanks, I will be sure to google and try them. Very valid point about the insoles, I think I will try to sort out my shins without them, but I really want to be able to get back to running again.

Thanks all.

8. StrSam

StrSam Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Anytime mate!
    Just keep in mind that if/ when you go to prmc/rt, you wont be allowed to wear the insoles! So if you don't sort out the main issue it'll come back then.
    Keep us all updating on how your runs go after a few weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Corona

Corona Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Still get the pain even when just walking/sitting, but I've started using these during warm ups for circuits etc:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N4VN0LJ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A116QTOB7IX5FP&psc=1

Found I'm not getting that weird pain as much when doing the running parts of the warm ups, so it could help you. I'm guessing its a bad idea to only use these and not look for a complete 'cure' but its a start and helps me to warm up properly at least.

10. Corona

Corona Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks to some great advice from @diggernet, I think I'll take a look at investing in some merrel barefoot trail running shoes, in order to try and fix the form and finally get rid of the shin pain. Although I may have to bite the bullet and go to the GP as since starting a new job the pain has increased hugely, both in intensity and being 24/7.

Am I right in thinking that going to the GP about them would mean, if I made it to RT, I would be less likely to recieve help from Hunter with regards to shin splints as its something that has happened before RT?

Thanks

11. StrSam

StrSam Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Hey mate, i'll pm you about your shins and see if it's similar to mine

• Like Like x 1