Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Long Wait

Discussion in 'Overseas Section' started by LawrenceJAB, May 9, 2019.

1. LawrenceJAB

LawrenceJAB New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Hi
    So I submitted my application on 8/12/2018 for Royal Marines Commando. I was later assigned a recruiter about a month and a half- two months ago. My colleagues already have gotten medical questionnaires, filled them and sent them back to the UK. I have been trying to contact the careers office and they keep referring me back to my recruiter who's not responding to calls, emails or texts. This can be an overwhelming situation to be in. Please advise me accordingly, thanks

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Welcome to the site.

Once you register your interest online, they send you a link to complete the full application online. Once eligibility is confirmed, for overseas applicants (of which there are over 5000!) they will email out the necessary documents which need to be printed, completed and posted back to UK for the next stage (Triage Medical).

The Overseas Desk is currently receiving about 120 applications a day and over 2000 telephone & text messages every week from Commonwealth applicants/enquirers and a similar number of email enquiries. It has got to the extent the additional enquiries are actually choking the processing output capacity. Extra personnel have been drafted in to help deal with the situation.

All we can advise is that overseas applications are in excess of the requirement but they are being processed in date order where possible. However, in many cases, some details on the initial application are incomplete, which makes it very difficult to move forward. It's worth logging-in and checking the application portal to see if there are any "Requests For Information" (RFI) in order to move your application forward. In the meantime there unfortunately isn't the capacity to respond to repeated emails, texts and phonecalls.

To navigate around the recruiting portal, the document in this thread will hopefully assist: https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/using-the-recruiting-portal.118553/

3. LawrenceJAB

LawrenceJAB New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Considering I have already been assigned a recruiter, is that somewhat a guarantee that I will get a response to my application considering I included all the necessary information?

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Odds are you have been assigned to the Careers Adviser that runs the Overseas Desk (London AFCO) unless you have nominated a UK residence address for a careers office outside of London under which you will be processed.

It means your application has been received, in date order and will be processed, assuming all the requested information is supplied.

5. LawrenceJAB

LawrenceJAB New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    So today I finally contacted the overseas recruiter (my recruiter) and he replied to me saying that all applications have been suspended and there there're no ins nor outs, because there's like 5000 applications and there's only 300 positions. I feel disappointed since I sent in my application on 12th December 2018, which was earlier enough. Does anyone think this dream is still valid?

6. AngryArgie

AngryArgie Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Absolutely. You want to be a Royal Marine, the application process might take a bit longer, it might even be a year before you can take a PJFT, but if it is really your dream and you are really serious about it, then the only thing you can do is wait, prepare yourself further adequately phys wise and keep pestering your AFCO every few weeks. Your time will come you just have to be patient

• Like Like x 2
  7. StrSam

StrSam Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I've Been in the process for 4 years now buddy. Through surgeries, rehab, and failures.
    If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way in the end and won't stop until you get it.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  8. LawrenceJAB

LawrenceJAB New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    This only affects Commonwealth citizens I suppose, the suspension is on the commonwealth, as the required number of applicants is in excess, they need 300 but so far 5000 applicants from the commonwealth have shown interest. So it actually depends on where you're applying from

• Disagree. Disagree. x 1
  9. AngryArgie

AngryArgie Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Where are you applying from mate

10. LawrenceJAB

LawrenceJAB New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
  11. AngryArgie

AngryArgie Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Nice place Kenya, got a friend who moved to Nairobi a few years back

12. LawrenceJAB

LawrenceJAB New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I actually live in Nairobi, it sure is a nice place

13. AngryArgie

AngryArgie Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Have you ever been trail running in the nearby forests? There’s some crazy trails apparently. Think it’s called Karura park

14. LawrenceJAB

LawrenceJAB New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Yes I have. Karura forest is the name. It has a good terrain for outdoor running but has some pretty big pythons as well!
    Is your friend in the forces?

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Again, statistics can put a slant on things depending what is trying to be demonstrated. By way of example we had over 1200 expressions of interest from female enquirers in August of last year which has, so far as I'm aware, lead to one entering into training.

The Royal Marines have massive numbers of initial enquiries and applicants but it is probably one of the most demanding selection & training pipelines in the Western world and that is no exaggeration. To get 300 trained ranks we need somewhere around 600-700 people getting as far as passing initial selection. Going back about 5 years (so figures may well be different now), in "my" AFCO we used to get about one in 8 RM applicants getting beyond passing the recruit test, medical, selection interview, PJFT, PRMC and starting training.

Nevertheless there is a limit to the capacity to process the number of applications and unfortunately, that takes time.

It does. The UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office call the shots on how many Commonwealth people are permitted to join the UK Armed Forces, much the same as as it is for UK citizens wishing to join or transfer to the Armed forces of Commonwealth Countries. Many Brit service personnel, for example, may wish to transfer to Australian, New Zealander or Canadian Armed Forces but there is a limit to the numbers they will permit.

16. LawrenceJAB

LawrenceJAB New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Would it be easier joining the navy in that case /royal navy rating ?

17. AngryArgie

AngryArgie Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Pythons! I’d say the level of fear you get when you see one of them is probably similar to a PTI chasing you through the endurance course haha

And nah she’d be the last person to ever join the forces

18. LawrenceJAB

LawrenceJAB New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Actually PTI is my main interest now that you mentioned, but not sure how to get there, any advice?

19. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Selection and training is less physically demanding in most Royal Navy branches, apart from Diver which is probably similar with regard fitness standards.

The numbers set by the FCO relate to the Naval Service as a whole (ie, including Royal Marines) and it's worth being aware than different branches in the Navy have different waiting periods to join, even after passing selection. The Navy, unlike the Royal Air Force, doesn't close branches to recruitment, so popular branches are often over-subscribed.

Beware applying to join a branch because it has a short waiting period to start training because the jobs are very different and shortage category/short wait branches are undersubscribed, so there not much chance (if any) of transfering from one to another after joining.

Choose a job you want to do for no other reason than that's the job you want to do.

20. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Narration in this clip by the late Stephen Hawking :)

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1