Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Longback vs shortback bergans - notice a diffrence tall guys?

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by Titch, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Titch

Titch New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    So most of what I have heard through various conversations is that the short back is shorter and wider so it's easier to pack and sits on top of the webbing better. I managed to get the two laid out next to each other and there is maybe an inch or two difference in it. I am 6ft 3 and use a short back and have always struggled yomping, I just wanted to know if any of the taller guys made the switch and found a noticeable difference?

I had a few mods done to mine and not convinced there is a world of difference to justify swapping it out, but interested in people's experience with the two.

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I'm over forty years out of date but I'll chuck in an observation anyway.

If the majority of a bergan's weight is carried on the hips (either directly or firmly sat on belt kit) how might 'short back' or 'regular back' make a significant difference?

Hopefully others will offer a more sensible answer.

3. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

Theres more than an inch in it. Once you get above approximately 5'9" you'll benefit from the long back. A short back will NOT sit on your webbing properly and I can bet you feel discomfort in your lower back using a short back.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  4. Royal2010

Royal2010 Commando Training Wing Instructor

Im 5'10 (Mr Average)
    I had a long back through training and hated it. Short back all the way for me. However, like Lusty said you will probably benefit with having a long back.

Whatever you do, just don't get one of those Virtus bergens -vomit--vomit--vomit-

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. paidtoraid220

paidtoraid220 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I’m 5’11” and used a short back until after week 10 of training, I found it very, very uncomfortable and nearly went down on the Hunter’s Moon yomp. Swapped it for a long back and never had a problem stomping after that. I have a short back now but it’s a go-faster Jay Jay’s Beast with all the extra padding etc in the world, so it may as well have a jacuzzi suit and exoskeleton built into it

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  6. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Royal Marines Commando

I’m 5,7 and I’ve used a long back since the start of training, never had any issues or felt the need for a short back.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  7. Titch

Titch New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.