Looking Back - Moving Forward

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Guys: I pulled a RM video out of the cupboard the other day and brushed the dust off it. It was the Commando series that was made in the late 1980's. It brought back some great memories of training for me, which I felt really pleased about. And it was great to see a few of my former oppos, who were on the training teams.

The memories of basic training stay with you forever, as does your service number and a lot of the experiences that you acquire during your service.

However, as I have said before, even these years on, when I'm in the gym training or out running, I am able to cast my mind back to CTCRM. I think of the boots thudding in step as they hit the ground on speed marches, running on the spot in the gynnasium, the bottom field with the assault & Tarzan course and the 30 foot ropes, then the water casm.

Also: The fireman's carrys, the Endurance Course etc etc etc. And the great friendships that are bonded for a lifetime that comes with all this.

Early on in training we watched a video. I think it was called "Nothing's Impossible". It was about recruits going through training. The RM band were playing "Life on The Ocean Wave, in the background of the movie. Weeks later, an oppo of mine told me that he always heard that music in the back of his mind. It kept him driving towards the finishing line, on the way through the rigorous course.

I always recall, on my way through training, looking up at the Kings Squad, as they smartly marched past with their drill boots crunching on the ground and the pride that shining on their faces.

Then one day, I was part of that troop. It was me walking tall and looking across at the troops in the earlier stages of training.

Thereafter, came one of the very best days in my life, my passing out parade.

Although, in essence, this is only the beginning, once you've made it through and you become a Royal Marine Commando.

No doubt, one day, it will be you guys who will be looking back, like I do. And your memories of service will remain in the forefront of your mind for ever more.

Best Regards

Steve

jasejase

Reaction score
that actually made we *text deleted* go for a run *text deleted*

christomo

Reaction score
very inspiring steve thanks, exactly what i need before i go on my 20mile bike ride in the rain in a minute :|

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Bad Weather!!

That's just reminded me of something.

In the Corps you are taught to defeat the elements as well as the enemy. I was on a course once in Chivington.

We were waiting in a large shed getting ready to go into the field. There was also another troop there, who were part of the Royal Military Police (The Red Caps).

Whilst waiting for the off, I made my oppos and myself a hot wet (a cup of tea) and used an available kettle to warm the water up.

The Red Caps were walking out of the door, passed me, whilst I was doing this. One of their sergeants sneered at me.

"You're supposed to be roughing it."

I just smirked at him.

Anyway: A short while later the weather took a turn for the worst, where it was absolutely atrocious.

The time came for us to collect our kit and move out into the field, which we did. On the way out, I saw that that the Red Caps were coming back in because the weather was too severe for them to be out in.

Strangely, I passed the Red Cap Sergeant. On the way passed him. "I smiled and said: "Roughing it, eh."

He put his head down and looked away. *text deleted*

Rain, hail, snow or blow, the weather won't stop, ROYAL you know!

Cheers

Steve

tcsmith88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Excellent. As pointed out previously in this thread those are actually very inspriational and highly motivated posts, Steve (=

I might actually save them for future reference, *text deleted*.

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

In the Corps you are taught to defeat the elements as well as the enemy. I was on a course once in Chivington.

We were waiting in a large shed getting ready to go into the field. There was also another troop there, who were part of the Royal Military Police (The Red Caps).

Whilst waiting for the off, I made my oppos and myself a hot wet (a cup of tea) and used an available kettle to warm the water up.

The Red Caps were walking out of the door, passed me, whilst I was doing this. One of their sergeants sneered at me.

I just smirked at him.

Anyway: A short while later the weather took a turn for the worst, where it was absolutely atrocious.

The time came for us to collect our kit and move out into the field, which we did. On the way out, I saw that that the Red Caps were coming back in because the weather was too severe for them to be out in.

Strangely, I passed the Red Cap Sergeant. On the way passed him. "I smiled and said: "Roughing it, eh."

Cheers

Steve

God dammit! your making me feel bad for when I make up excuses to either stop or not go jogging! *text deleted*

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Steve,

Thanks for those posts! As always your past experience and knowledge proves to be both motivational, informative, and highly amusing!

Cheers,
Josh

stoker0nine

Reaction score

I just smirked at him.

Cheers

Steve

Awesome.

Judging by that, (and also judging by 'Amongst the Marines', which i have just read which is fantastic) it seems you don't really like the MP ha ha. Are they all really *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted*s who try to get you in trouble so they can nick you?

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
MPs

Not really mate, my experience wasn't the usual by any means. Although not everybody admires them!!

Also: with regard to my post about the Red Caps. They were a different breed to what we were, that's for sure!!

Personally, I did serve with the Royal Marines Police for a while, of which the majority were a great group of men. They do have an interesting and difficult job at times, in keeping law and order amongst a tough body of men. Not easy by any means.

When I did my Royal Marines Police Course, I must admit, the Car, lightvehicles and especially the motor bike training were absolutely excellent.

The Law bit was interesting too and also the statement writing, which even came in useful when I wrote my two books, years after leaving.

If anybody follows this route into the RM Police, I would recommend doing a few years first, so that you understand the mind set of the rest of the guys in the Corps, who you'll be policing.

Cheers

Steve

stoker0nine

Reaction score
Not really mate, my experience wasn't the usual by any means. Although not everybody admires them!!

Also: with regard to my post about the Red Caps. They were a different breed to what we were, that's for sure!!

Personally, I did serve with the Royal Marines Police for a while, of which the majority were a great group of men. They do have an interesting and difficult job at times, in keeping law and order amongst a tough body of men. Not easy by any means.

When I did my Royal Marines Police Course, I must admit, the Car, lightvehicles and especially the motor bike training were absolutely excellent.

The Law bit was interesting too and also the statement writing, which even came in useful when I wrote my two books, years after leaving.

If anybody follows this route into the RM Police, I would recommend doing a few years first, so that you understand the mind set of the rest of the guys in the Corps, who you'll be policing.

Cheers

Steve

Oh i suppose they don't sound too bad then. Sounds like exciting training at least.

MP isn't something i'd thought much about, as i don't really like Police and don't think i could nick fellow Royals.
All my mates who are in various Armed Services hate the MP. Some of my mates claim they have been set up a few times so the MP could pull 'em, particularly by the new, young MP's.

That right once you advance as an MP, you could be doing work such as VIP/close protection? You know of any other exciting tasks you could be given in the MP?

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
MP

I wasn't too keen on the MPs myself, but I guess you see it differently if you're serving as one. Albeit: in my case, for a short period of time!!

Also: My advice on doing a few years first, is so that you have some experience behind you and you don't just go looking to nick the lads for trivial things.

The Marines Police do all kinds of other duties including close protection, prison duties (I did this during my career), traffic duties.

Being honest, when I went into the MPs branch near the end of my career. I was looking to get my car and motorbike licences before leaving for civvy street, rather than joining for any other reason.

However, there were a few turns of events that changed my plan for a while. Which I'm sure you've read about!

I did have problems keeping my nose clean and was a little wild
from time to time. But there ya go mate. *text deleted*

Cheers

Steve

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I wasn't too keen on the MPs myself, but I guess you see it differently if you're serving as one. Albeit: in my case, for a short period of time!!

Also: My advice on doing a few years first, is so that you have some experience behind you and you don't just go looking to nick the lads for trivial things.

The Marines Police do all kinds of other duties including close protection, prison duties (I did this during my career), traffic duties.

Being honest, when I went into the MPs branch near the end of my career. I was looking to get my car and motorbike licences before leaving for civvy street, rather than joining for any other reason.

However, there were a few turns of events that changed my plan for a while. Which I'm sure you've read about!

I did have problems keeping my nose clean and was a little wild
from time to time. But there ya go mate. *text deleted*

Cheers

Steve

can i have a signed copy of both of your books?

Macca

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Good stuff steve great posts there pal. There was a Lad in the Troop I was in who Had come out of army RMP training as he had changed his mind and all I can say is the training team had a laugh with him big time *text deleted*, he got ripped a few times but all in good humour *text deleted*

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You cant say no to a dying kid!

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Books

FMJ: Behave yourself mate. The author of a book, believe it or not, only gets 10 free copies and those go to close friends and family. So I am sorry mate, but I can't grant your request. However, if and when my next book gets published, I may hold a quiz on here about the Corps and send the winners a signed copy.

I'm still working on this book, whilst also running a busy job in parallel, which isn't easy . Then I need to get the publisher to go for it, which does take quite some time. Months even.

All the very best

Steve

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
FMJ: Behave yourself mate. The author of a book, believe it or not, only gets 10 free copies and those go to close friends and family. So I am sorry mate, but I can't grant your request. However, if and when my next book gets published, I may hold a quiz on here about the Corps and send the winners a signed copy.

I'm still working on this book, whilst also running a busy job in parallel, which isn't easy . Then I need to get the publisher to go for it, which does take quite some time. Months even.

All the very best

Steve

Whats the new book going to be about? Can we have a sneaky preview of what is coming next? :Wisper:

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
I'll post something for you in the coming weeks.

I've got to be honest, I'm really enjoying writing this.

There's a good story in there and also some hilarious moments. Although, as the author I'm bound to say that, but it is true.

Cheers

Steve

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I'll post something for you in the coming weeks.

I've got to be honest, I'm really enjoying writing this.

There's a good story in there and also some hilarious moments. Although, as the author I'm bound to say that, but it is true.

Cheers

Steve

*text deleted* brilliant, i'll keep my eye out for it then. I've got your two previous books on order.

R. M. Pitt

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
de yu kneed eny healp weth yur neaxt buok cers arm ai proba good writerer????

edit: Forgot to say good post and "Rain, hail, snow or blow, the weather won't stop, ROYAL you know!" had me in stitches!!

New Threads