Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Looking for advice on gaining size

Discussion in 'Training Plans and Diet Suggestions' started by dudley21, Jan 16, 2020.

1. dudley21

dudley21 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hello Lads

I’m currently about 5’9 and 65kg. I know 65kg is the required weight but would it be optimum for me to put on a few more kilos through weight training or should I focus on bodyweight exercises and keep my weight above 65. (Planning to apply in July)

Cheers

2. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    You’ll need to be in a calorie surplus, meaning you need to eat more calories than you burn off.

There are fancy ways to figure out how to do this accurately, however, just go by feel!

To ensure you gain proper weight, make sure you have adequate protein intake. This will help your muscles grow and repair.

Don’t fill yourself up on rubbish, while you may not gain fat, you will likely see a reduction in your performance, or it may hinder your progress.

There’s a tonne of information out there, some good, mostly bad. I’d recommend looking up a chap named Jeremy Ethier on YouTube. Very factual, good stuff.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Also your stated age is seventeen years. Almost certainly you will gain body weight naturally over the next few years.

I'm not a nutrition expert but here's an opinion for what it's worth:
    Establish an accurate record of your current calorie intake. Bumping up your calorie intake with a sensible, balanced diet that it is in excess of your calorie expenditure (training) should result in a sustainable body weight gain.
    Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dudley21

dudley21 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for the replies

5. Trooper149

Trooper149 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Guys above are pretty much bang on, dietary wise.

Training wise:
    -operate in the 3 sets of 8-12 reps range for a basic strength routine
    -for the strength routine, include (or build up) to a deadlift movements, a squat movement, a push movement and a pull movement. Honestly a good strength workout only needs e.g. corrective deadlift, front squat, pull ups and dips (bearing mind you should ensure you have good flexibility when performing these)
    -do your strength routine twice a week.
    -other days fill it in with running, circuits, tabats, HIITs, rowing, cycling, swimming, etc.
    -but a good basic strength routine should be your foundation towards building size.

6. stumpylegs

stumpylegs Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    You could do what they do at CTC and feed you chips for every meal :D. Hence the phrase Nod bod.