Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Looking for advice

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by Seven213, May 4, 2019.

1. Seven213

Seven213 New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Hello all,

I've been making my way through the site for a while now, just decided to make an account and see if anyone has any advice regarding my particular questions (I've used the search bar extensively and am aware I may have missed threads relevant to this):

Currently 22, final year of uni, have an application with the Army Reserve (Soldier), assessment centre in a few weeks, but I am doubting my decisions/plan and could do with some criticism or advice. I've always wanted a military career (RM Officer specifically) but some of the civvie options I ran into for after uni seemed pretty good so I thought I'd give one of them a go and do the reserves on the side, and reconsider after a couple of years.

I aimed to get the closest experience to the regulars/most challenging I could find so applied for 21SAS, which was also the nearest to me out of them, RMR and 4PARA. I'm decently fit (~3hr30 marathon time) and have some experience mountaineering/hiking. Also have buckets of free time and 0 responsibilities so now is a great time to do this.

My question is: Am I wrong in thinking 21SAS is the way to go for the most challenging/'regular-type' reserve unit? Should I transfer and join units more integrated with the regulars like RMR or 4PARA instead? Which would offer the best opportunities for deployments? Or, should I just sack the civvie job and go full time? I've probed the blokes at the unit a bit but didn't want to seem like a flake/walt.

• Seen Seen x 1
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Possibly @TheRubberDagger is best placed to give you his angle on direct entry UKSF(R) and entry as a trained rank reservist.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  3. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Have you been for a briefing with 21 at HQ? These are very informative and will answer all your questions!

4. Seven213

Seven213 New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    cheers @Ninja_Stoker, will ask. @westy I have been for an interview but was more of an informal chat about selection than a presentation/briefing

5. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Firstly, UKSF (R) is a very different role to RMR & 4 PARA. Therefore the selection processes are all very different.
    You cannot really compare the three.
    21/23 will undoubtedly take considerably more training and commitment. Consider joining 21/23 as a stepping stone at your peril.
    Perhaps you could arrange a visit to an RMR det to discuss with them?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Seven213

Seven213 New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    @Johnny_Anonie cheers, I have tried to glean what I could from the lot at 21 but didn't get much regarding the actual role,our conversation was mostly around selection and continuation training. I wasn't so much seeing them as a stepping stone to anything, just worried to end up in a unit without a clear purpose (whereas RMR & 4PARA don't have that issue), although I appreciate I may be totally wrong on that

• Like Like x 1
  7. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Fair points mate.

8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

@Seven213 I've always been told that I'm 'special' but that's the limit of my SF knowledge. :)

However, my godson lent me this book a while back and it gives an interesting insight into the time and training commitments that perhaps should be taken into consideration by someone considering 21 SAS.
    Bear in mind that this book was published in 1992 and like all books of this genre it 'paints a picture' rather than purporting to be an accurate representation of training and selection.

quiet_soldier.jpg

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  9. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Another good one ironically is Bear Grylls Mud, Sweat and Tears which has a massive section detailing selection

10. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

I’m writing a book! Safeguard. It’s called “My life at HMS Raleigh and HMS Cambridge, and when I got pissed”. Only at ‘Waterstones’ though.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Waterstones?

I think you meant Whetherspoons

Book?

I think you meant beer mat.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

Collared. Sad face.

• Like Like x 1