Looking for an old photograph

barrackrat

Reaction score
Following the tragic event at Deal on 22 September 1989 a service of remembrance was held about a week later, during which the RM Band, Deal, paraded through the streets with empty spaces where the missing lads should have been.

A very touching picture was published in .Blue Band' at the time, clearly showing the gaps in the ranks of musicians.

I am trying to make contact with the Editor of Blue Band to see if I can get a copy of that picture. Can anybody help please?

Many thanks,

barrackrat

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome.

It maybe worth ringing the RMSM as I'm aware they have recently acquired memorabilia & photographs from Deal : http://www.royalmarinesbands.co.uk/pages/contact.htm

Alternatively the Royal Marines Museum may be able to help through their archive service: http://www.royalmarinesmuseum.co.uk/frontpage

Royal Marines Museum said:
The National Archives is the principle repository for service records and official unit diaries. However, here at the Royal Marines Museum we do have some official papers and reports that have been presented to the collection from both MOD record reviewers, and personal donations. This material is derestricted or unclassified and falls within the scope of the Public Records Act of 1958. In general we will not have official records until they are 30 years old.

Much of the archive collection is unofficial, personal accounts, letters, diaries and ephemera etc along with maps, posters, and plans ranging from landing craft to barrack buildings.

To make an appointment to view the archive email us

archive@royalmarinesmuseum.co.uk

729troopRM

Reaction score
Following the tragic event at Deal on 22 September 1989 a service of remembrance was held about a week later, during which the RM Band, Deal, paraded through the streets with empty spaces where the missing lads should have been.

A very touching picture was published in .Blue Band' at the time, clearly showing the gaps in the ranks of musicians.

I am trying to make contact with the Editor of Blue Band to see if I can get a copy of that picture. Can anybody help please?

Many thanks,

barrackrat

My old man has a copy of this picture, I can get it from him and scan it, I will post a link to it on here. Any good?

barrackrat

Reaction score
729Troop, that would be fantastic. Thanks mate.

Some years ago in Zimbabwe I swapped copies of 'Soldier' magazine (Sent to me by an ex squaddie in UK), for copies of .Blue Band', and in due course passed them on down the line to a Navy man who appreciated fine band music.

I kept the copy with that picture right up until I left Zim in 2004, and now - putting together a talk for a historical society I am involved with it comes to mind as illustrating a point I want to make.during that talk.

My father was Chatham Division Royal Marines, having joined the RMLI in 1918, and one of my earliest memories as a boy is being taken along to watch Sunday morning church parade at the old Chatham Barracks, and that is where my appreciation of the Royal Marines Band Service springs from. A keen appreciation which has stayed with me throughout my life.

Kind regards,

barrackrat

http://lordshillhistorysociety.blogspot.com/

New Threads