Losing weight hit a wall

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Mattys, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    As it sais kind of stuck in an awkward situation regarding weight.

I was around 15.9 4/5 weeks ago and now sit at 14.10 and need to be 12.7 for my height.

I got down to this weight last year just to pass my medical but it involved eating next to nothing and a lot of dehydrating to lose water retention such as what boxers do dangerously to make weight of a fight.
    Physically I looked I’ll and nearly failed my medical based on the pee samples were showing I was more or less starving myself.

I’m 30 next year and currently don’t have anyone breathing down my neck to move on with my application but at the same time I don’t have time on my side so when I pick up from my original application it will be at the medical stage.

Is there any diet/plans or training I can follow which will make me get the weight down in a normal way others have used?
    The worrying thing for me is I’m not fat but I won’t pass the waist measurements either at this time so being only 5 foot 8 but stocky doesn’t help.

Other than when I had to pass medical last year I’ve been at or around this weight for at least 5 years and with my age it’s a hard situation but I know it needs to be done!

I also can’t just pass my medical as I originally did as when it comes to prmc/rt which involves medicals and day in day out fitness I wouldn’t last to long if I took the same approach as last time.

I’m hoping to get to prmc by around may at the latest so I’ve got time to get to the required weight.

I don’t drink/smoke/eat sea stuff so any diet/fitness suggestions be much appreciated.

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Phys will assist in body weight loss but fundamentally one's calorific intake must be in deficit to achieve weight loss. Despite my age I think in kilograms; an average weekly loss of one kilogram is both achievable and sustainable. Attempting to shave a few grammes off by dehydrating is not a good plan.

I'm only a gnat's whisker taller than you and also have a 'stocky' build. I dropped my body weight to 70 kilos for a sporting event a couple of years back. Doing so damn near destroyed my social life because I had to completely avoid drinking beer for about three months! I mention this because alcohol represents totally wasted calorie intake.

Portion control is another major factor. Don't deceive yourself that you can eat any amount of protein. An overdose of chicken or tuna will also pile on the kilos.

Personally my training diet was based on a muesli and banana breakfast. A portion-controlled lunch. And then an evening meal of only fruit. Plus lots of tea and water to maintain adequate hydration. It worked for me but obviously this is only a personal anecdote and may not work for others.

Consider weighing yourself and then sticking to a sustainable eating diet for two weeks. Then weigh yourself again. You should notice a weight loss which will give you the motivation to continue. Don't weigh yourself more frequently than once every two weeks.

Finally... and perhaps in contradiction of what I've written above, don't get anxious about weight loss. Once the kilos start falling off it's easy to become a bit obsessive about continuing a downwards trend. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thankyou for the details response!

Yeah it’s a good thing I don’t drink then ah!
    Think your right with the portion sizes mind as when I do eat I do have a fair bit! , my issues is the more fitness I do the more I need to eat so it’s very hard to balance it and have the energy to put in 100% effort at the same time.

I drink a lot of milk so I know this is something that’s I expect hampers or keeps the weight on to a certain degree (green lid).
    I think the issue isn’t just losing the weight it’s keeping it off and being able to be physically normal at that required weight as a whole.
    Losing a big percentage of body weight will have its effects physically if not used to it but I know itl help big time with regards to body weight exercises and stuff when I become customed to it again.
    I’ll give what you said ago tomorrow onwards and I’ll try only drinking water as a liquid and see where I am 2 weeks from now and hopefully it flies off!

It’s funny how you go from wearing small in clothes in your early 20s to now just about getting into a large and thinking what on earth happened *text deleted*

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I'm not qualified to offer nutrition advice but consider thinking about how much food you truly need to eat to fuel your training. Portion control and calorie counting will give you the numbers. There are plenty of online resources which might also help to make an informed decision.

Whatever your weight loss plan stick with it; consistency counts. If you achieve your weight loss goal your CV performance will likely improve anyway.

Drinking excess amounts of semi-skimmed milk (also known as white water) is unlikely to pile on too many kilos by itself.

5. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

I think you look pretty damn good! Your dress sense however! :D

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  6. allye

allye Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I’m not sure I’d be aiming for specific weight target “for your heigh”, unsure how long ago your medical was but if you have a high BMI they do take into account stocky and muscular build (oi oi).

No expert on the diet front, but it’s quite feasible to lose weight/muscle and gain fitness at the same time. Unfortunately for yourself the game we are all in is one of moving ourselves about quickly. If you are quite stocky just stay off the weights, cardio is king and stick to body weight exercises.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yeah portion control is something I’m doing my best to work on I’ve also stopped with the junk food as that’s my biggest downfall!
    Yeah it does make a big difference being lighter on the feet jut maintaining that is the difficulty i try to cope with.

Ohh I see I read somewhere before that milk puts the weight on I’ve cut that out now jut to see how I fair with it.

Haha yeah I understand the waist measurements my medical expired end of October.
    Yeah that’s the approach I’m taking hoping that doing all these body weight exercises when I’m a few stone to heavy will be easy work when I’ve dropped the weight and not just cause me to become a better runner but lose strength has such.

I purchased a pair of walking/hiking boots last week which Ive been going on long walks with a backpack (22lbs) to get adjusted with carrying but also used to wearing heavyish boots aswell as something that will get my endurance up to shed the extra pounds.

8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

An iron will and determination is required to reject salty snacks. :) Salt is addictive.
    Aim for an achievable first target. Two weeks of sensible, portion-controlled feeding without cheats. This doesn't mean starving oneself. After two weeks many find that cravings subside as the body adjusts to a new regime. Once some weight loss is noticed after a couple of weeks there is motivation to keep the momentum going.

It's important to not cut back on hydration though.

9. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yeah definitely pop tho(lucozade,Coke) aswell as the joyful chrisps , sweets and takeaways!

Go few years back could eat what I want and lose weight I look at a battenburg or Swiss roll I out on 2 lbs *text deleted*.
    Yeah I will keep drinking water throughout the day and hopefully this will all have progress!

10. westy

westy Well-Known Member

I’ve seen some recommendations for 1ltr per 20 kg of body weight!!

11. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Close to 4.5 litres for me a day then!

Is that just in general or would you still need to consume much more if working out?

12. Something Original

Something Original New Member

Packing on muscle weighs a lot more than fat, despite your strength increase gained from it. I was in a similar boat to you age and size wize - I packed on muscle when I started the phys, and definitely enjoyed the mass I grew, but my weight didn't really shift.

I changed my calorie intake to be more consistent over the course of the day (more smaller meals), added another 30-40mins of Cardio in by getting up earlier every morning (which helped my times as I was consistently pushing to get an extra circuit in before time), and stopped lifting heavy weight in the gym that wasn't my body mass (and perhaps a weight belt). Can't imagine there's much need for need for Hammer Curls in RT. (I kept up with Deadlifts and Power Lifting movements for the enjoyment).

The weight didn't exactly drop off instantly but not only was I achieving better times on running, but I was picking up another Pull up or two.

Meal Prep was essentially required because of the extra time I had to spend getting up early, was not cooking more than zapping it in the microwave. Every recovery day was off to the shops for a week of food, plastic boxes to hold it in, and cook.

Learning how to cook veggies so that they taste nice was important given that they were a solid 60-75% of the diet with Protein the rest. Calorie deficit, and Carb cutting as well (aim for 15-20g gross carbs, but don't get twisted if you have a day when you blow past it accidentally, life happens, but try not to make a habit of it) as chugging water instead of coffee or fruit juice (Robinson Barley Water Cordial if you want a guilt free tasty water) for 6-7 weeks. Like all diets, it's better to keep with something sustainable, so going cold turkey on a chocolate bar isn't going to help you, but perhaps only have a hit of it and give the rest to your Better Three Quarters, or have 2 biscuits instead of 3. Have a half sugar instead of a builders. Maybe even go for black coffee, or soya as you can stomach it: it is the carbs in milk which you may have heard causes the weight gain, but if you include it in you budget for it

Unfortunately we're at a crap time of year because Xmas is indulgence season and I certainly end up going out a lot more. As sad as it sounds, I'll maybe go out for just a couple of near beers or a lager when we go out, and then the next day I'm not absolutely howling drunk after tanning the mulled wine.

I'm in a bit of a *text deleted* state at the minute after breaking my arms in a bike crash and potentially barring entry for myself (the irony of training to get myself fit for entry causing the injury that could bar me has not been lost on me), but now I'm able to start my cardio again, I can't wait to shift the chub I've put on in the last month, which undid all my hard work earlier this year.

Bear in mind, I'm a soft arsed office worker so my nutritional requirements are based around sedentary lifestyles without including my training.

• Like Like x 1
  13. codycaesar

codycaesar New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Have a listen or look at ‘the dad coach’ give him a search on instagram or his podcasts on iTunes, he’s a former Royal Marine and most of his content is directed at people in your situation trying to lose weight and have a healthier lifestyle, think it could be helpful for you :)

14. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for the detailed and long response appreciate it!

Yeah there few things in there I don’t drink tea or coffee and I really find it hard to eat veg as it’s something I’ve never liked even if I do require it *text deleted*
    I think personally I’ve tried cutting down on the snacks to smaller amounts but if anything it makes me just get hell to the wall and can’t stop with the sugar craving then!
    I remember last year I had to stop drinking lucozade drank it like tap water was proper addicted to it and when i tried cutting down to less frequently just made me want it more and more so I just stopped one day all together and all though the headaches and energy levels were terrible for a week or two I became better for it! So just need the same approach to this snacks!

Yeah *text deleted* I do need to up the cardio side of things but I’m doing it on an endurance side of things such as long hilly walks through countryside’s with backpack to lower my weight so I’ll get the miles in and strengthen my core and legs which will hopefully be in good stead for running!
    I don’t do heavy weights I only do things such as dumbells rows and bicep curls up to 15kgs so pretty much nothing just more of a strength workout and body weight exercises.

More or less a good thing I don’t drinking alcohol! So Xmas doesn’t effect me in that regard aha but the food on the other hand urghh.

Aghh sorry to hear that dude least it wasn’t as bad as it could have been any idea how long or when you will no if it’s a bar?
    Don’t give up hope even if it’s a slim chance.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Ta dude I’ll have a look at it now

• Like Like x 1
  16. KenDoll

KenDoll New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Martin Macdonald is a nutritionist, he teaches evidence based nutrition at university level. There's the fitness chef as well. Both on Instagram. The bottom line is, its calories in vs calories out. You can not lose fat without a calorie deficit.