Losing weight

keir8

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just a quick question does anyone know roughly how long it would take to lose 2 stone ?

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Depends entirely on your current height, weight, age, activity level, the type of diet you want to follow etc.

The recommended 'safe' amount is 2lbs a week, which is 14 weeks for 2 stone. If you eat regularly and get enough rest though, I reckon it'd be safe to lose 3lbs a week which would shorten this time considerably.

Luke2504

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
It really does depend on the person and how much work gets put in. I can't say how long it'd take you to lose the weight if I did know as I'm no expert but my advice would be to calculate how many calories you'd need to consume per day for your size and activity and take 200 - 400 calories off that. Make sure you eat a balanced diet and no more maccy Ds. Also eat the food in small meals throughout the day, it'll increase your metabolism.

And ofcourse there's the cardio which isn't rocket science, just get out on the road and run.

All the best with losing weight. :blink1:

S

stokey_14

As said no set answer. Frankly it all depends on your diet, exercise does help but its only a small help compared to diet.

For weight loss with out to much loss in performance, personally I don?t think you can beat carb cycling (Google it) however Keto dieting also gets a very good rep in bodybuilding circles but often the supper low carbs might not work for someone with more endurance based training.

I?ve personally lost 9.8 Kg since January 6th with a low carb diet, all my lifts and fitness are also up since then.

Stokey

keir8

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers guys diet is one said I struggle on I snack an drink loads of fuzzy pop an have one meal a day I'm changing that to water to drink 3 square meals an snack on fruit instead thanks for your replies

S

stokey_14

Cheers guys diet is one said I struggle on I snack an drink loads of fuzzy pop an have one meal a day I'm changing that to water to drink 3 square meals an snack on fruit instead thanks for your replies

Fruit is great, however when cutting weight limit it. (I?d never cut it totally) Nuts are a good snack.

Stokey

Grimmey

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Most idiots when they think about a diet they think you aren't allowed to consume any fat or any sugar. Your body needs fats and sugars especially when exercising. Saturated fats are really the only fats to try and cut out, most saturates comes from oily/greasy foods...Takeaways etc.

As for sugars, you can get your sugar from most simple things, there is no such thing as good sugar or bad sugar sugar is sugar at the end of the day.

In reality you only really need to worry about portion sizes, i find like someone mentioned above about having 6 small meals a day.

Fat burning workouts are amazing for trimming down the weight, exercises that most use for training for the RM are great for this such as hill sprints, interval training, tabata etc.

Normally if anyone would ask me whats a safe estimated time to lose 2 stone, i would normally say 2-3 months depending on their weight, which isn't a very long time at all if you think about it.

S

stokey_14

Most idiots when they think about a diet they think you aren't allowed to consume any fat or any sugar. Your body needs fats and sugars especially when exercising. Saturated fats are really the only fats to try and cut out, most saturates comes from oily/greasy foods...Takeaways etc.

Why would you want to cut out saturates completely? they are needed for healthy hormone production and very good for aiding weight loss, muscle growth and health. Whilst there is a lot in takeaway etc you can get it for red meats, cheese etc

As for sugars, you can get your sugar from most simple things, there is no such thing as good sugar or bad sugar sugar is sugar at the end of the day.

Incorrect there are many types of sugar ,dextrose, fructose, etc ( http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/SugarTypes.htm ) and they all have varying tastes and responses from the body. I personally would only want to be getting some sugar from fruit and maybe dextrose post workout (causing an insulin response) other than that keep them to a minimum.

In reality you only really need to worry about portion sizes, i find like someone mentioned above about having 6 small meals a day.

There?s a lot of new research to suggest this isn't a good idea due to it keeping insulin levels constantly spiking. it also has little or no effect on the metabolism which is why a lot of people use it.

I find something like 4 meals a day more effective. though that?s not to say you can't get gains (or loses) from 1-8 meals per day.

Fat burning workouts are amazing for trimming down the weight, exercises that most use for training for the RM are great for this such as hill sprints, interval training, tabata etc.

They are all good workout but i wouldn't say amazing. they help sure but the largest gains are made via diet.

This is a good read
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/exercise-and-weightfat-loss-part-1.html

Normally if anyone would ask me whats a safe estimated time to lose 2 stone, i would normally say 2-3 months depending on their weight, which isn't a very long time at all if you think about it.

Didn?t quite agree with a lot of what you said? I?ve highlighted my thoughts and opinions above in red.

Stokey

Lead Poison1981

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Didn?t quite agree with a lot of what you said? I?ve highlighted my thoughts and opinions above in red.

Stokey
That article you linked about body re composition has baffled me! (Probably something to do with being knackered!) What's the jist of it?

Fatboy

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
So is there a way of boosting your metabolism or helping it run faster?

S

stokey_14

That article you linked about body re composition has baffled me! (Probably something to do with being knackered!) What's the jist of it?

Simply only advanced trainers can really cause a big enough training stimulus to burn significant fat and they often don?t need it. It?s not saying don?t train to lose fat but it?s saying that it?s a tiny % diet is hugely important.

Stokey

S

stokey_14

So is there a way of boosting your metabolism or helping it run faster?

Getting enough calories, to drastic a drop in cals will slow it down. exercise, certain foods have also been shown to stimulate it (stimulants like caffeine are known too I believe)

Making sure you get B vitimins and magnesium from your diet also? I suggest large amounts of green veggies!

Also the idea of carb re-feed days or even cheat meals is to kick start the metabolism into gear and it seems to work. The day after a carb re-feed I tend to retain water and bloat a bit but once that sheds I see a short window where my weight drops faster than normal.

Stokey

Grimmey

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Why would you want to cut out saturates completely? they are needed for healthy hormone production and very good for aiding weight loss, muscle growth and health. Whilst there is a lot in takeaway etc you can get it for red meats, cheese etc

I was always under the impression saturated fats were the ones too avoid? Not to mistake for Monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats which were needed in every day diet. These can be found in peanut butter etc. What would be your guideline daily amount for saturates?

Incorrect there are many types of sugar ,dextrose, fructose, etc ( http://whatscookingamerica.net/Infor...SugarTypes.htm ) and they all have varying tastes and responses from the body. I personally would only want to be getting some sugar from fruit and maybe dextrose post workout (causing an insulin response) other than that keep them to a minimum.

I was merely trying to suggest that having 5 apples rather than a chocolate bar doesn't necessarily mean the apples are the best option sugar content wise. Vitamin wise yes sure. Granted i should of put it better.

I knew there was different types of sugar but its always been debatable to whether which one was healthier, e.g. Fructose or glucose?

There?s a lot of new research to suggest this isn't a good idea due to it keeping insulin levels constantly spiking. it also has little or no effect on the metabolism which is why a lot of people use it.

I find something like 4 meals a day more effective. though that?s not to say you can't get gains (or loses) from 1-8 meals per day.

This was really a matter of opinion, i prefer to eat 6 meals stretched out through the day as i find eating 3 meals i am hungry through the other pars of the day. I really only meant to give an option as some people find it hard to eat 3 meals a day.(although in his case 3 meals should be adequate seeing as he only has 1)

This is also debatable, if your searched the web which is better 3 or 6 you'll find all sorts of reports, reviews etc concluding that it is the best way or that there is no health benefits.

They are all good workout but i wouldn't say amazing. they help sure but the largest gains are made via diet.

This is a good read

I agree totally with you in the sense that diet is the biggest factor, all the training in world would not help you if you had an unhealthy diet. The workouts i suggested were only convenient way of incorporating the weight loss with training regimes for the marines.

Again as a matter of my personal opinion i have found that high intensity stuff has helped me the most.

Stokey
Id be a fool to say i am an expert when it comes down to diet and exercise and some of what i said might of came across as ignorant but most of what i meant was personal opinion although i could of put better.

The links you gave were quite interesting, also could you give me an example of the sort of dextrose/glucose you like to have post work out?

Thanks

S

stokey_14

Id be a fool to say i am an expert when it comes down to diet and exercise and some of what i said might of came across as ignorant but most of what i meant was personal opinion although i could of put better.

The links you gave were quite interesting, also could you give me an example of the sort of dextrose/glucose you like to have post work out?

Thanks

30-50 g of Dextrose powder into my shake brought in bulk for cost efficacy.

http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/product.php/250/0/dextrose

At very least I?ll have a banana with my protein shake (not Dextrose) but it will do a similar job and has other minerals that are lost during exercise.

Stokey

Luke2504

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Basically what it's saying is that if you had a good weight loss diet along with a intense fitness routine, the fitness routine would only make up a small fraction of the total weight lost. This is because a fat person doesn't usually have the fitness to burn enough calories in a session where as an athlete has the ability to burn double the amount.

EDIT: Should really read the second page before replying to posts.:embarrest:

Grimmey

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
30-50 g of Dextrose powder into my shake brought in bulk for cost efficacy.

http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/product.php/250/0/dextrose

At very least I?ll have a banana with my protein shake (not Dextrose) but it will do a similar job and has other minerals that are lost during exercise.

Stokey

Ah i see, i tend to stay away from the powders or any supplements as im afraid of putting weight on. Might sound stupid but i think that way:unsure:

Getting enough calories
My calorie intake should be 2500 normaly, to lose wait about 2100 if i even get near to about 1800 i feel full and something in my head tells me i need to stop eating.

S

stokey_14

Ah i see, i tend to stay away from the powders or any supplements as im afraid of putting weight on. Might sound stupid but i think that way:unsure:

My calorie intake should be 2500 normaly, to lose wait about 2100 if i even get near to about 1800 i feel full and something in my head tells me i need to stop eating.

It?s just sugar? Only becomes a ?supplement? when a company sells it as that often found in powder form for people to put it into there tea etc only difference is athletes might use it productively after exercise to cause an insulin spike to shuttle nutrients to the muscle quicker and more effectively.

Supplements will only cause you to gain weight if via taking them you put your self into a calorie surplus. Same as solid food, there is nothing magic about powders such as Dextrose or even Whey.

You calorie intake sounds awful low you should be losing weight at 2500 cals unless you are very small in which case weight gain might not be such and awful thing?

2500 is what the government recommend a non-training female needs a day.

2100 calories does not sound healthy for a lad training for the RM

Stokey

Eyebrows

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

Stokey

http://www.recommendedcalorieintake.net/

For male teenagers 2700 is recommended (2100 for females)
For male adults 2500 is recommended (2000 for females)

These are the government recommendations. (but like you said, you obviously need more if your training for RM)

S

stokey_14

http://www.recommendedcalorieintake.net/

For male teenagers 2700 is recommended (2100 for females)
For male adults 2500 is recommended (2000 for females)

These are the government recommendations. (but like you said, you obviously need more if your training for RM)

Aaa right thanks for that. Even so he?s not hitting his RDA which is drastically low for training/ growing individuals.

Stokey

Grimmey

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
It?s just sugar? Only becomes a ?supplement? when a company sells it as that often found in powder form for people to put it into there tea etc only difference is athletes might use it productively after exercise to cause an insulin spike to shuttle nutrients to the muscle quicker and more effectively.

Supplements will only cause you to gain weight if via taking them you put your self into a calorie surplus. Same as solid food, there is nothing magic about powders such as Dextrose or even Whey.

You calorie intake sounds awful low you should be losing weight at 2500 cals unless you are very small in which case weight gain might not be such and awful thing?

Stokey

well i am getting these from a website its about 2700 rather than 2500

And yes i am small about 5 foot 8 and weigh bout 70kg