lower back pain - sit ups

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
oh i also have a problem with sit ups.. i can do a fair few and have tested myself to see how many i can do in two minutes and managed to get above 80 the only problem i get is when i try and do sit ups i start getting an aching pain in my lower back.. any suggestions how to stop this?

Zefan

Reaction score
I think everyone gets a bit of discomfort there while doing sit ups, it's just in the nature of the exercise. Try some other forms of abdominal training, specifically ones that use movement of your legs and do not require you to bend your spine.

JAKEH

Reaction score
Back Problems

I Want To Get Ma Stamina Up By Running, But Have Great Difficulty Running After A Few Miles When I Get Severe Pains In My Upper Back.

I Dont Know What To Do Please Help?

Thnx Jake

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
do you do your sit ups before your run? i mean everyone suffers with different stuff from sit ups for some reason .i do mine on carpet and i get a carpet burn on my arse *text deleted* :santa_mooning: hope it dont happen on the gym surface. but i think your is normal but when *text deleted* running? it isnt

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Situps

Firstly lets be sure you arn't doing situps with straight legs. Bending your legs takes the pressure off your spine.

That's how we used to do them in the 80's. It used to kill your lower back and also caused your lower back to bleed. These years on, everyone's more physically educated and those types of exercises are avoided.

Secondly make sure you are doing situps without jerking upwards. Get your feet supported where possible.

And remember there are all kinds of situps you can do that will strengthen your abdominal wall without causing you discomfort. You just need to find the right balance that suits you.

Cheers

Steve

Zefan

Reaction score
I Want To Get Ma Stamina Up By Running, But Have Great Difficulty Running After A Few Miles When I Get Severe Pains In My Upper Back.

I Dont Know What To Do Please Help?

Thnx Jake
That's simply from poor core development, I used to get that really badly before I started building muscle. All you can do is work on the muscles in question or run more!

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hiya mate, if your getting lower back pain it means some of your core muscles are weak (like zefan stated).

Have a look at this link - http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/yogapractice/thecobra.asp

Its a yoga move but very effective for helping with strenghtening the lower back muscles, shoulders and arms. This in turn will help with relieving the pain you may encounter. Reverse sit ups are also another thing to try out - when doing your sit ups just work in a few of the above exercises and this should help.

Shiloh

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Muscle

Guys: The muscle you are referring to is your Quadratus Lumborum. It hangs down from your last rib to the top of your pelvic girdle. It is the cause of most back pain problems.

The Yoga move mentioned will stretch the muscle and massage it. However, I would recommend lying down on your hands & knees and holding the opposite arm and leg out for 20 seconds and then change to the other limbs. I call this the superman exercise because that's who you'll look like when you're doing it. Do this 3 times everyday.

This exercise will strengthen your lower back muscles and is strongly recommended.

Best Regards

Steve

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Proof

There ya go guys. A tried and tested, proven remedial method.

Cheers Shiloh mate.

Also: believe it or not. *text deleted* is good for your back. So if you have an understanding girlfriend, get in there and give it stax!

If she's just a girl you fancy at the gym, tell her you need help with your back, tell her the recommended therapy and ask if she can help you with your recommended treatment.

There ya go. Two birds with one stone!!

Regards

Steve

loveitorleaveit

Reaction score
I gave swimming ago twice a week when I had a bad back a few months ago, seemed to do the trick for me.
Sayin that though, Ste's technique sounds much more, whats the word... beneficial!

Aussie89

Reaction score
yea i had the same problem and swimming helped it a fair bit

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks

cheers for the advice..

steve14

Reaction score
Hav'nt trained in 2 weeks because ive been in Lanzerote laying around in the sun drinking beer.

So last Wednsday without stretching first ( like an idiot ) I Did 5 sets of 25 pushups mixed with 5 sets of 25 sit ups then went on a 3mile run, when I got back I sat down and couldnt get back up, my back has been shagged now for 3 days, I can hardly walk.

The lesson to be learned? Allways stretch before excercise and Id suggest one week of low reps before you go into high rep excercise after a short break.

I hope my back heals up soon, im shuffling around the house at the moment like a 90 year old woman.

M

MTW

i think your lower back is always going to ache and be in discomfort when doing sit ups, its what happens when your abs get exhausted, but yea supermans and stuff like that to strenghten the lower back will help.

morlando

Reaction score
Guys: The muscle you are referring to is your Quadratus Lumborum. It hangs down from your last rib to the top of your pelvic girdle. It is the cause of most back pain problems.

The Yoga move mentioned will stretch the muscle and massage it. However, I would recommend lying down on your hands & knees and holding the opposite arm and leg out for 20 seconds and then change to the other limbs. I call this the superman exercise because that's who you'll look like when you're doing it. Do this 3 times everyday.

This exercise will strengthen your lower back muscles and is strongly recommended.

Best Regards

Steve
wow! thanks Steve, have been looking everywhere for this advice! :clap:

I have been really suffering on runs and sit-ups with this, hopefully it will be sorted in no time. On another marines forum they told me to rest for 2 months :beingsick: