Lower back

Bear4236

Reaction score
Does anyone know any good excersises to strengthen the lower back? When I do press ups/plank, my lower back always arcs downwards after a while, I do dorsal raises which definitely do Work the lower back but I’d like to mix it up a bit.

Some people probably reading this thinking ‘how many damn questions/problems does this guy have’ :D the answer? A lot but I take everything into account and want nothing more than to pass out of RT and lift the green lid!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Besides dorsal press-ups & planking, a good way to strengthen your back muscles and improve flexibility without straining your back unduly is by lying on your back and drawing your knees up to your chest, holding, then releasing.

The spine bends as though you are stood, then reaching your toes, but without undue stress or strain. Repeated daily a couple of dozen times definitely helps.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Does anyone know any good excersises to strengthen the lower back?

Google core strength exercises. There are many effective ways of isolating the deep-set muscle groups. But perhaps one of the best ways is to concentrate on exact form for perhaps fewer and slower press ups. Develop an awareness of the muscles and focus on feeling the strain in particular areas as you do each rep. Once you've got correct form—it shouldn't take long—begin to ramp up the reps and sets.

D

dodgyknees

Chelonian is right, it's all about form. Before you launch into a series of back strengthening exercises, you need to know what you're doing. Your lower back in particular is prone to injury so please do not do too much too early. The internet is great but if you can afford a short session with a physio, that would really get you into a good place. I have seen many very fit blokes get bad lower back injuries, putting them back months.

Xerath

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
My back is the same. It's a weird one though, stand still for 2 hours and my back kills, carry a bergen through the jungle and it's fine :confused:

DynaMo

Reaction score
Glute bridges are definitely worth putting in! Hyper extensions and deadlifts too. For deadlifts I'd definitely record your form on your phone or have someone who knows what their doing to advise you on them. If you even *text deleted* have a look on youtube jonnie candito has a good tutorial on them!

Latest posts

New Threads