Lower leg/ ankle injury medical

polltarn99

Reaction score
After peoples opinion on what I should do. Got my medical on the 16th this month, passed two months had pains in lower left shin saw a physio basically said rest as it’s shin splints, ruled out a stress fracture, as I can pass hop test etc , anyway to cut a long story short I can run and it tends to disappear after running it returns. My ankle also cracks when I rotate it quite loud ha Hopefully going to get my gait checked next week, was wondering if to see my gp? But Then it will go on my records... long winded ha ! I know what would you do??? Cheers

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Try avoid going to your gp if I were you, capita will find a way to TMU (or PMU) you if it’s in your records.

Just my unprofessional opinion, I’m sure someone more qualified will advise you.

polltarn99

Reaction score
Yeah cheers for the reply, I was thinking the same thing it just won’t go away

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Head to a physio again, it won’t get put onto your records and they’ve worked wonders for me.

polltarn99

Reaction score
Yeah that’s what I’m on with, off topic but do you find when you rotate your foot it tends to click and pop a lot more than the other??

Chelonian

Reaction score

Reaction score
After peoples opinion on what I should do. Got my medical on the 16th this month, passed two months had pains in lower left shin saw a physio basically said rest as it’s shin splints, ruled out a stress fracture, as I can pass hop test etc , anyway to cut a long story short I can run and it tends to disappear after running it returns. My ankle also cracks when I rotate it quite loud ha Hopefully going to get my gait checked next week, was wondering if to see my gp? But Then it will go on my records... long winded ha ! I know what would you do??? Cheers

I am sorry to hear about your injury. If you don't mind me asking, where abouts does the cracking come from?

I know Nobody can diagnose in the internet and I am not a doctor but I had something that sounded very similar. I had some cracking and irritation on the lower inside shin and ankle. When I rotated my foot I felt this trapped popping sensation but I could run fine. After lots of confusion I found the issue was the FHL muscle and tendon being overworked. I only mentioned this because this is a very common area for the cracking sound to come from. The tendons can sometimes become trapped in the sheaths they are encased in and slide through, which can give the popping sensation and cracking noise.

IMG_3230.JPG

best of luck with your recovery mate :), it's important you go and see a physio though, though private physics are expensive there is often a short waiting list and many can offer running gait analysis, which isn't always the case within NHS physio

Last edited:

polltarn99

Reaction score
I am sorry to hear about your injury. If you don't mind me asking, where abouts does the cracking come from?

I know Nobody can diagnose in the internet and I am not a doctor but I had something that sounded very similar. I had some cracking and irritation on the lower inside shin and ankle. When I rotated my foot I felt this trapped popping sensation but I could run fine. After lots of confusion I found the issue was the FHL muscle and tendon being overworked. I only mentioned this because this is a very common area for the cracking sound to come from. The tendons can sometimes become trapped in the sheaths they are encased in and slide through, which can give the popping sensation and cracking noise.

IMG_3230.JPG

best of luck with your recovery mate :), it's important you go and see a physio though, though private physics are expensive there is often a short waiting list and many can offer running gait analysis, which isn't always the case within NHS physio

polltarn99

Reaction score

IMG_3230.JPG

Yeah exact same thing, when I rotate my left foot clockwise it’s at about 2 o clock if that makes sense ? I mean the pains completly gone now and I can walk with no pain ??? Really odd it feels as if somthing stretched or trapped? How did you get rid of it mate ?? And yeah stick to private don’t want it on my record

Reaction score
Yeah exact same thing, when I rotate my left foot clockwise it’s at about 2 o clock if that makes sense ? I mean the pains completly gone now and I can walk with no pain ??? Really odd it feels as if somthing stretched or trapped? How did you get rid of it mate ?? And yeah stick to private don’t want it on my record

There are many areas of the ankle which can pop and crack, with tendons sliding over bones etc or just joints making noises. Howvever, That sounds very familiar. I had it at 2 o clock when I rotated my ankle too. There is a muscle group called the flexor hallucis. This flexes and curls up the big toe. If you grip your big toe on the ground and curl it up, this muscle is used. The muscle starts on the outside of the calf, goes behind the Achilles diagonally and the tendon of this muscle runs down the back of the inside ankle which then attaches the bottom of your big toe. It may not even be this muscle and tendon inyour case but it does sound very similar to my issue. What happened in my case was a muscle imbalance in my feet; I run on the outside of my feet and my little toes curl up. This causes my foot to be imbalanced when it hits the ground so in order to compensate for this, the flexor hallucis muscle works hard to flex the big toe and grab at the ground to get stability lacking in the rest of the foot. After a while, this tendon becomes thicker and stronger than it should, and no longer fits snugly inside its sheath, which is the hollow casing it travels through at the back of the ankle. This creates the popping sound as it stretches and catches to push through the gap inside the sheath. Because there are so many structures and three tendons on the inside of your ankle, it is important to get a diagnosis. It took me a long while to work out which tendon was the issue, I originally got the wrong tendon so it is very important you have it professionally looked at. Diagnosis can sometimes be confused because of the complexity of this area. However, with tweaks to my running style, a gait analysis and better shoes, I have made some improvement and I am progressing. It is a common and treatable issue but it can take time to get right. I used this website and the video on it to help, I hope it's useful, it should explain where the FHL is and it's function and how to treat it. Have a look to see if it is similar to your symptoms at all, because it sounds like it but may not be.

https://www.theballetblog.com/portfolio/fhl-tendinopathy/

This tendon issue is very commonly seen in ballet dancers who put great force through their big toe.

Ask for a gait analysis and a full look and check over of all your muscles and tendons in your feet when you go to the physio. Often, muscle imbalances in other places of the foot cause injury to a different area as weight is shifted in a compensatory fashion

Cheers :)

Last edited:

polltarn99

Reaction score
Cheers mate great info, cheers for taking the time to get back much apprieceated, keep you posted.