Lower leg injury

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by chargibb99, Jan 9, 2018.

1. chargibb99

chargibb99 New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Hi all, I am currently training looking forward to PJFT, however have been injured following an Ex Army PTIs advice and running in boots with weight… not knowing any better I followed the plan and have ended up with what I assume is shin splints, the main issue is I have had them for 8 months now, and they’ve only gotten worse even though I have not been training for the past 6 weeks as I found it too painful to continue. What I am considering is could it be something more than shin splints, and would it be wise to stop training completely and put my application on hold, or do I just need to ‘have a word’ with myself and crack the phys? As always any help is appreciated and all the replies I’ve had on other threads have been cracking

Edit to add more specific info. The pain in my legs is both sides of the shin, in exactly the same place on both legs, as well as the tendons at the front of the ankle

2. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Your best getting it checked out.

You’ve rested it quite a while and if there’s no progress and it’s still hampering you no point hoping it will get better on its own.

It could be anything like shin splints or something more serious such as stress fracture or a hairline fracture so can’t really justify the extent of the injury until you get it looked at.

3. Cuzza22297

Cuzza22297 Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Can be expensive but I'd recommend heading to a private physio, worked wonders for me and won't be on your medical records which could hinder you in the future.

As mattys says, if its not got better after 6 weeks rest, definitely worth getting a professional to have a look ad get an official diagnosis.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

Obviously nobody on here can give you a clinical diagnosis of shin splints or anything else but if you haven't already seen it take a look at this:

https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/shin-splints-please-read.102427/

If an appropriate period of rest and basic therapy doesn't resolve your problem bite the bullet and seek professional diagnosis followed by a specific therapy treatment.

Your primary focus should perhaps be on identifying and then resolving the issue, not on avoiding a reference to it on your clinical records at all cost. While nobody wants a TMU or PMU label the aim should be to become injury-free, regain fitness and crack on to PRMC.

Regarding your application, consider having a chat with your Careers Adviser and requesting that the application be 'paused' while you address this particular niggle. Takes the pressure off you and—as I understand it—your CA as well. Best of luck.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

To be honest, if he was a qualified PTI (I doubt), he wouldn't be advising anyone to run in boots or running with weight. If he genuinely was a PTI, he must have left the Army a good many years ago.

Not that it helps you as an individual, but we often see people suffering long term injuries or even making themselves permanently medically unfit for service in the mistaken belief that running in boots or running with weight is required - it isn't, quite the opposite.

Best of luck in your recovery, I hope some good comes out of your misfortune for others as well as yourself.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    That’s mega sh!t mate. Sorry to hear. But I echo everything above, we can’t diagnose shin splints.

Maybe take a week off running, rest your legs. Then start small And build up. Add it into your workout. Warm up, 500m. Then next time 1km run, next time 1.5km etc. Slowly increase it. See how your shins are then.

Have a read of the other thread about shin splints, and if it’s not improved try a private physio first before heading to your GP.

7. chargibb99

chargibb99 New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Cheers for all the advice, guess I’d better get checked out and let my AFCO know. Now it’s just a case of keeping the motivation ticking over and keeping my head up!

8. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Keep us updated mate.

It always p1sses me off when I hear stories of lads being seen off by “PTs” proclaiming to do all kinds of weird sh!t. There was a young lad on here who was told to smash deadlifts and weights and everything to get massive.

Keep it simple, keep it basic. Mileage.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 3
  9. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

-banghead--banghead--banghead- 8 months rest and you still have pain? Get yourself to a doctor and or a physio. Good luck with the application.

If there's anything you should learn from this. DO NOT! Ever run in boots or with any weight until your at CTC.

As a simple rule of thumb, every single time you run in boots or carry weight, you are adversely damaging your body!! Nowadays it's done in a well controlled manner backed by science, making injury a lesser risk.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 3
  10. PITTGBIF

PITTGBIF New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Mate sounds like you’re in the exact same position as me, I wasted nearly a year just resting and nothing changed. Take my advice and go see a doctor. Unfortunately I have to have an operation now as he said it was compartment syndrome. It’s shot but it’s something that needs to be sorted and rest won’t help. If you can afford it, I would suggest going private, as I'm on the waiting list of 12 to 18 months with the nhs.

Good luck

11. lurkin_limey

lurkin_limey New Member

For the longest time I thought I was alone with this problem! I’ve had the exact same problem for just as long and just put it down to incorrect footwear and training, I’ve seen private physios and they just told me it was shin splints and to rest, try out some insoles and new shoes but it never went away. Only just booking myself in to see a Doc as I was too scared it would mess up my App! -banghead- definitely go see a doc about it, don’t be as stupid as me and leave it too long!