Luke's diary 24th - 27th june

Luke023

Reaction score
I PASSED!

DAY1

i arrived at lympstone with most other people about mid afternoon.
we were lined up inside the gate at this point could I tell we were all quite nervous.(sorry to any hardcore people that wern't). we were taken to our accomidation. i had a migraine from the train journey so this did not start well. however the very nice bloke next to me gave me some tablets and they worked like magic. i was lucky that i was nearly back to full fitness before the english and maths tests. the rest of the night was spent sorting out kit and cleaning the accomidation. we also learn't how good the food is at lympstone and that it is normal to have 4 cooked meals a day.

DAY 2

we were told to be up by 5.45 but we were up by 5.15 to save queing for the showers and it was a wise move as we were all ready for 6.15 to be lined up in the corridors. we went off to scran and was back ready to prepare for the first test the 3 mile run. we all went off to the 3mile run and warmed up with the PTI, for the 1st 1.5mile we ran it as a troop which for me was a light plod along and was really quite boring. soon enough we got to the end and we turned back ready for the 1.5 mile run back. i got back in 8.59 and finished 10th overall out of 45 which i was quite pleased with. by we got back to the accomidation and we all lined up, by this point we learned that some people had already failed. we got showered and went off for a lecture which i can not remember what it was about as there were quite a few. after scran we were already for gym test 1. 1st of all it started with the bleep test, i got to 11.5 and was told to stop for some reason. then we moved onto the press ups, by this point i was quite nervous as all the practise of press ups, sit ups and pull ups were about to come to a climax it was like a day of a big exam which i had revised heavily for. for the press ups i scored 52 and was a bit gutted later when i manged to find out i missed the top points bracket by 1 press up. next was the sit ups and where i let myself down. i only scored 45, my stomach muscles felt as if they could go all day but i had not been practising the technique correctly so my thighs just cramped up and it was a real struggle. next it was the pull ups i scored 5 but felt i could have done better but didnt matter to much as it was enough to get a decent score. after gym test 1 we did the swimming test and then after that we went back and chilled out, probably had a few more lectures and then cleaned the accomidation.

DAY 3

a warning to anyone taking the PRMC this is the most physically challenging day but also the most fun day. it started off with the death slide. this is a big load of fun as there is no danger as your attached but beware if you get the technique wrong get ready to be called a p*text deleted**k and a c*text deleted*t loads off the corprals. next it was the unattached high obstacles again these are a load of fun and i wanted to go again, it looks dangerous looking at it but if you listen to what your being told and get the technique right you will be fine but if you dont beware for a loada s*text deleted*t off the corprals. next is the bottom field assault course practise and demonstrations, this bit is also very fun but can get tiring. then after demonstrations and practise it is the real run. i got 3.59 not the best score but it was ok. now if your already hanging it can only get worse, the determination test all i can say is dont give up keep going and make sure you listen and take instuctions otherwise its going to last longer. you know when your near the end when you start dragging each other accross the field which is the hardest bit if your carrying someone heavy. after this though it is off back to the accomidation to get showered and get ready to start drying kit. after scran it was gym test 2, the last chance to impress. this involved team games some puzzly but mainly working you and by the end you will be blowing, there are 5 games in total lasting 5 mins each, ill let your work out how long that is. after the games you are lined up ready for sprints which i foolishly forgot we had to do so it was a nasty suprise. this lasted for about 10mins and bascially used up any last bit of energy anyone had left. after this we all went back to the accomidation and i was walking as though i had shat myself as my legs were unbelieveably stiff. we were supposed to have interviews but our corpral was not in the mood so it was just a case of 8 of us sitting with him for 10mins asking him questions. after this it was a case of cleaning accomidation and sorting out kit. the rest of the night was spent anxiously waiting for the morning to come so we could find out if we had passed or not.

DAY 4

we were all lined up in the corridor after scran. some names were read out and the rest of us were told to line up outside in 3 ranks. by this point the brainy ones amongst us had worked out that we were the one that had passed. i can not imagine what it must of been like for the people who had there names read out, must have been horrible. after a few briefs and getting handed our certificates to say we passed it was a case of changing kit at the store, getting issued boots and before we knew it we were off home

summary of results for me:

1.5 mile run: 8.59 mins
bleep test: 11.5
press ups: 52
sit ups: 45
pull ups: 5
assault course: 3.59 mins

Luke's top tips:

1. make sure you can run 1.5 mile on road in under 10.30 mins
2. never give up, keep going
3. make sure you enjoy yourself, otherwise if you dont, ask yourself why you are joining the marines.

thank you for reading, any questions just ask

Loz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I PASSED!

DAY1

we were lined up inside the gate at this point could I tell we were all quite nervous.(sorry to any hardcore people that wern't). we were taken to our accomidation. i had a migraine from the train journey so this did not start well. however the very nice bloke next to me gave me some tablets and they worked like magic. i was lucky that i was nearly back to full fitness before the english and maths tests. the rest of the night was spent sorting out kit and cleaning the accomidation. we also learn't how good the food is at lympstone and that it is normal to have 4 cooked meals a day.

DAY 2

we were told to be up by 5.45 but we were up by 5.15 to save queing for the showers and it was a wise move as we were all ready for 6.15 to be lined up in the corridors. we went off to scran and was back ready to prepare for the first test the 3 mile run. we all went off to the 3mile run and warmed up with the PTI, for the 1st 1.5mile we ran it as a troop which for me was a light plod along and was really quite boring. soon enough we got to the end and we turned back ready for the 1.5 mile run back. i got back in 8.59 and finished 10th overall out of 45 which i was quite pleased with. by we got back to the accomidation and we all lined up, by this point we learned that some people had already failed. we got showered and went off for a lecture which i can not remember what it was about as there were quite a few. after scran we were already for gym test 1. 1st of all it started with the bleep test, i got to 11.5 and was told to stop for some reason. then we moved onto the press ups, by this point i was quite nervous as all the practise of press ups, sit ups and pull ups were about to come to a climax it was like a day of a big exam which i had revised heavily for. for the press ups i scored 52 and was a bit gutted later when i manged to find out i missed the top points bracket by 1 press up. next was the sit ups and where i let myself down. i only scored 45, my stomach muscles felt as if they could go all day but i had not been practising the technique correctly so my thighs just cramped up and it was a real struggle. next it was the pull ups i scored 5 but felt i could have done better but didnt matter to much as it was enough to get a decent score. after gym test 2 we went back showered, showered, chilled out, probably had a few more lectures and cleaned the accomidation.

DAY 3

a warning to anyone taking the PRMC this is the most physically challenging day but also the most fun day. it started off with the death slide. this is a big load of fun as there is no danger as your attached but beware if you get the technique wrong get ready to be called a p*text deleted**k and a c*text deleted*t loads off the corprals. next it was the unattached high obstacles again these are a load of fun and i wanted to go again, it looks dangerous looking at it but if you listen to what your being told and get the technique right you will be fine but if you dont beware for a loada s*text deleted*t off the corprals. next is the bottom field assault course practise and demonstrations, this bit is also very fun but can get tiring. then after demonstrations and practise it is the real run. i got 3.59 not the best score but it was ok. now if your already hanging it can only get worse, the determination test all i can say is dont give up keep going and make sure you listen and take instuctions otherwise its going to last longer. you know when your near the end when you start dragging each other accross the field which is the hardest bit if your carrying someone heavy. after this though it is off back to the accomidation to get showered and get ready to start drying kit. after scran it was gym test 2, the last chance to impress. this involved team games some puzzly but mainly working you and by the end you will be blowing, there are 5 games in total lasting 5 mins each, ill let your work out how long that is. after the games you are lined up ready for sprints which i foolishly forgot we had to do so it was a nasty suprise. this lasted for about 10mins and bascially used up any last bit of energy anyone had left. after this we all went back to the accomidation and i was walking as though i had shat myself as my legs were unbelieveably stiff. we were supposed to have interviews but our corpral was not in the mood so it was just a case of 8 of us sitting with him for 10mins asking him questions. after this it was a case of cleaning accomidation and sorting out kit. the rest of the night was spent anxiously waiting for the morning to come so we could find out if we had passed or not.

DAY 4

we were all lined up in the corridor after scran. some names were read out and the rest of us were told to line up outside in 3 ranks. by this point the brainy ones amongst us had worked out that we were the one that had passed. i can not imagine what it must of been like for the people who had there names read out, must have been horrible. after a few briefs and getting handed our certificates to say we passed it was a case of changing kit at the store, getting issued boots and before we knew it we were off home

Luke's top tips:

3. make sure you enjoy yourself, otherwise if you dont, ask yourself why you are joining the marines.

Nice one mate! Congratulations on passing!

On Gym test 2 what are the 5 team activities you do?

Luke023

Reaction score
ill go over the 5 activities briefly as they are hard to explain putting them into words.

the first one involved jumping over boxes and then doing a couple of forward rolls, you just repeat the little course set up over and over again.

the second one is easy and doesnt use any energy, it just involves you working as a team getting the mats from one side to the other of the box.

the third is pulling weights on a rope from one side to the other working as a team.

the fourth, you have got weighted bags and you have to throw them over these boxes and then walk along a bench with it in your hands, the bags weight 15 and 20kg.

the final one, you have got ammunition cases and they all weigh different amounts, some are really heavy and weight about 30kg and other are as light as a feather. you have to in pairs at each time move the boxes through different obstacles, the trick to this game is you dont know how heavy the box is going to be when you pick it up.

the final bit of gym test 2 is the sprints which are horrible but is the last chance to impress if you are on "sticky wicket" as they call it, so maximum effort is needed otherwise you find yourself being left behind and it does not look good

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Good review cheers!

Couple of Q's

What is the Maths test like? like the Psychometric or more advanced?
Were there still alot of people going when you came off the bleep test?
And did you go swimming? :confused:

Luke023

Reaction score
the maths and english tests that you do are a peice of piss to be honest, nothing like the psychometric test, it is all done on computer and you get as much time as you like. do not worry about these tests you will probably be able to do them with your eyes closed.

yes we did go swimming, i am not the best swimmer, i was told to get out 3 quarters of the way round but i think it just means i will be getting swimming lessons off the PTI's when it comes to starting training.

finally i think there was about 5 - 10 people left when i was told to drop out, i could have got a higher score but for some reason the corpral just told me that will do.

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
the maths and english tests that you do are a peice of piss to be honest, nothing like the psychometric test, it is all done on computer and you get as much time as you like. do not worry about these tests you will probably be able to do them with your eyes closed.

yes we did go swimming, i am not the best swimmer, i was told to get out 3 quarters of the way round but i think it just means i will be getting swimming lessons off the PTI's when it comes to starting training.

finally i think there was about 5 - 10 people left when i was told to drop out, i could have got a higher score but for some reason the corpral just told me that will do.

Cheers, good job.

If you're going for RT in Sep i'll probs be in the same troop.

Charlie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
excellent diary, one of the best! thanks for that!

just 1 question...for what reasons did the guys fail for at the end dyou think?

Luke023

Reaction score
not quick enough time on the assualt course was just our friend matt's case, what they said to him is that if he had got a better time on the assualt course he would have been alright.

however, the prmc works on a points system and i managed to get sneak peak at the corprals clip board as we were signing for our boots.

i think the other people that failed was because overall they did not pick up enough points unfortunately this can be by getting low scores all round on everything.

i didnt do so well on the assualt course and sit ups as i only picked up 2 points for each one but because i scored so highly on everythings else i was ok.

Ipodbob

Reaction score
excellent information, i have my prmc on 29th July this helps a lot, if i pass I'm on the Sept entry i believe.

well done also.

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this mate, really gave me a great in-sight into the PRMC.

dannyd

Reaction score
Well Done

I PASSED!

DAY1

DAY 2

we were told to be up by 5.45 but we were up by 5.15 to save queing for the showers and it was a wise move as we were all ready for 6.15 to be lined up in the corridors. we went off to scran and was back ready to prepare for the first test the 3 mile run. we all went off to the 3mile run and warmed up with the PTI, for the 1st 1.5mile we ran it as a troop which for me was a light plod along and was really quite boring. soon enough we got to the end and we turned back ready for the 1.5 mile run back. i got back in 8.59 and finished 10th overall out of 45 which i was quite pleased with. by we got back to the accomidation and we all lined up, by this point we learned that some people had already failed. we got showered and went off for a lecture which i can not remember what it was about as there were quite a few. after scran we were already for gym test 1. 1st of all it started with the bleep test, i got to 11.5 and was told to stop for some reason. then we moved onto the press ups, by this point i was quite nervous as all the practise of press ups, sit ups and pull ups were about to come to a climax it was like a day of a big exam which i had revised heavily for. for the press ups i scored 52 and was a bit gutted later when i manged to find out i missed the top points bracket by 1 press up. next was the sit ups and where i let myself down. i only scored 45, my stomach muscles felt as if they could go all day but i had not been practising the technique correctly so my thighs just cramped up and it was a real struggle. next it was the pull ups i scored 5 but felt i could have done better but didnt matter to much as it was enough to get a decent score. after gym test 2 we went back showered, showered, chilled out, probably had a few more lectures and cleaned the accomidation.

DAY 3

DAY 4

Luke's top tips:

Well done mate. I dont know how to post replys yet so sorry about the quote.

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Just clcik reply mate, bottom left of the page, in a green bubble thing.

Regards to push ups, I also got 52, but Im 100% sure that your in the top bracket there, 51+ is 6 points, or it was when I did my PRMC.
Also did you not do the swimming test?
On my PRMC we did it directly after gym test 1, went straight through to the swimming pool showers, then went and lined up by the pool. Then 1 by 1 lads jumped off the top board, and then swam a length a width and a length.

Luke023

Reaction score
yer im sorry fletch, i had a look at the corprals clip board as he left it so we could sign for boots and to score top marks on press ups it was 53 - 60.

and we did do swimming after gym test 1 and i did make a mistake in typing it up calling gym test 1 test 2 at the end of day 2 , sorry i didnt mention it.

im not an author i just took some of my own time to share my experience with everyone, so fletch i believe i am entitled to make a few mistakes but hey, can i have a look at your prmc diary you wrote on here.

chris1988

Reaction score
with the unattached obsticles what were u feelings doin it and what did u think in *text deleted* own mind, *text deleted* i no im ok with heights but its just the falling that would *text deleted**text deleted* me up:sad2:

Luke023

Reaction score
chris i think i know exactly how your feeling because thats a bit how i felt looking back on it. your not scared of doing it but i can tell your a little bit nervous even though you dont want to be.

all i can say is dont go for speed on it, make sure you listen to the instructions given so you get the technique right and if you get that right you will be fine.

once you done it, it gives you a great boost of confidence and i wanted to do it again, im sure you will enjoy it and remember it is an assessment not a test.

CrapHat

Reaction score
Do you get any time to use toilets if you REALLY, REALLY need to go?