lympstone accomodation

mumsie

Reaction score
good morning all.can any of you out there recommend any cheap places for an overnight stay when its families day.our son starts his recruit training june 30th,so we are looking forward to coming down and giving him support.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Hi There,

I believe they ( The Royal Marines) will send you brochures or leaflets on places to stay when they send you your invites within a week or 2 of your son starting training.

I also believe you get discounts aswell on certain places,

I wouldn't always book in advance (before your son starts) as some Family Day's are at the end of the 2nd week, 3rd week and some even 4th week. I don't think there is a fool proof way of telling as it will be down to his training team and the schedule at Lympstone.

If you still need some asap you can always PM me and I'll try to find out a few.

All the best
GW

sooty795

Reaction score
def agree with above, no certainty on the date, and you`ll get a letter from the marines detailing the day etc, you will probably know the date before your son, that was the case with me.

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there, I went down to Lympstone a couple of years ago for the Potential Officers Course. My parents stayed in a bed and breakfast very close by. They said it was very nice and the breakfast was hoofing! I'll ask them tonight what it was called and try to get the detials for you

girldfriend

Reaction score
Find somewhere to stay in Exeter if you are planning to stay for weekend and your son is not coming home for weekend leave, i booked a place in Exmouth when i went for families day and my o/h was not happy, it is well known to recruits that you do not go out in Exmouth at all during training, as this is where the training team live and go to the pub, it is not good to be seen out there, they will just get thrashed. I thought he was talking rubbish as the sheet they give you with B&B's are mostly in Exmouth.

There is a travelodge just up the road about 10 mins, most of the families stay there.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Yes it's true about Exmouth being off limits to recruits. But my training team were ok with it, as long as it was with your family and not done often.

I think they didn't like the idea of a team of 20-30 young lads visiting the pubs where some of their daughters maybe visiting.

That's how it as put to us anyway..