Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Made Medically Unfit

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by Decapitari_G, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Subject Access Requests must be complied with in a timely manner and the ICO website contains all the information on that.
    To manage expectations, it's not uncommon for acknowledgements of receipt to take a few days to arrive. When it does arrive the acknowledgment should also contain the target date for supplying the information requested.

I generally query if similar Requests have been received if I don't receive acknowledgment within, say, ten days.

On a general note, requests to large organisations are often handled more efficiently than those directed at smaller ones which are unfamiliar with procedure.

My correspondence with organisations is always polite and understanding (even if I'm seething) because ultimately people are involved in sifting, collating and responding and a little courtesy often goes a long way.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  2. Decapitari_G

Decapitari_G New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Ah this is great information thank you. I have been as courteous as possible. I do remember that when I went to retrieve this information last time (August) the lady said they are dealing with requests made in June 2019. I do understand that my AFCO can resend a proforma of sorts to request this as well as they are prioritised. I have emailed my AFCO for help on this front.
    Thanks again for your help and will keep you all updated.

3. Decapitari_G

Decapitari_G New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    @Chelonian Just wanted to update everyone. I have had a call this morning regarding my Subject Access Request and even though GDPR says that should take 30 days, they are back-logged from July and therefore should take some time. Having said that, they are being processed which is good news.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Decapitari_G

Decapitari_G New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    @Ninja_Stoker or @The guide Hi gents, just a quick question about my pmu status. If I know that what has been said in my medical notes has been incorrect would this be something I should bring up in my cover letter?
    It says that I got put in hunter December 2015 which isn't true. I don't want to write a letter saying XYZ is wrong and start on a negative tone, however, I am compelled to say this as it is the truth but also conscious and worried they might believe me.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

If you have a copy of your service medical record and believe it to be factually incorrect and this directly affects your medical suitability for service, under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2018 data subjects have certain rights – which include “the right of access” and the “right to rectification”.

The “right of access” means data subjects have the right to view and receive copies of their clinical/personal records. (ie: Submit a Subject Access Request: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mod-subject-access-request-form) Until you have a copy of your records, you cannot effectively submit an appeal on the grounds of incorrect data.

If during this process, the Data Subject considers any information contained within their records to be inaccurate, they can request the information be corrected.

It should be noted, however, that diagnosis and clinical opinion is a matter of clinical judgement and cannot be changed solely at the patient’s request.

In the first instance the data subject is advised to write a letter to the Senior Medical Officer (Service Entries) via their AFCO stating what inaccuracies are on their medical record.

6. Decapitari_G

Decapitari_G New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    @Ninja_Stoker thank you for this. Happy to say that my medical records have arrived at my house and will get eyes on. I was also told in the email sent to me that the AFCO can only assist in getting the letter to the SMO. They cannot advise me on the content which should go in there.

7. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

Sorry for the late notice on this one..was on my holidays overseas..!!.(not ignoring it...:D)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Decapitari_G

Decapitari_G New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    @The guide no problem. I finally got my medical notes from the Navy and will go through them today. Really don’t know what I should put in the letter or how to tackle this as I don’t want to sound as I’m appealing against the standard. The army has passed me medically fit for officer selection so I am thinking this approval as evidence can help? As they both go off the same medical standard? As an alternative if I join the army and do the aacc would I be able to switch over?

9. The guide

While it is the same standard, it is it,s interpretation and application that can differ , there is merit in putting all the points you feel relevant in the letter , but as you know yourself you cannot appeal the standard , but if it has an overall bearing put it in.! But make sure the letter has salient points / facts that can be looked at dispassionately and is not just waffle.

As for the Army bit, it obviously depends on what unit / branch you want to join as to even getting on a AACC , and if you wanted to transfer you would need a release medical and a entry one , so not really a differing option to now.

10. Decapitari_G

Decapitari_G New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Yes, I understand. I have edited my appeal letter about 3-4 times now, removing frustrated waffle.
    Re Army. Army officer isn't my first choice however, I feel that I need a back up just in case. Not too sure what regiments offer this as the army website says that all can go do it (AACC). Reading the forum here, I can see that engineers, artillery get onto this. I was wondering if you were a dog handler within the army would you be able to work within 3 Cdo Brigade? or if you were an infantry officer in the army would you be able to do a secondment with a commando unit after completing AACC?

11. The guide

Take the info that all Army Officers can do AACC with a serious pinch of salt.!!..Why would any Regiment let go of an officer for 3 months plus (with training added in) for something that is not required.

The only Army Officers i have ever seen are Artillery , Engineers , and a few REME , Sigs & Logistics guys (Bomb Disposal ) all the latter 3 being being rare given their actual numbers in the Army. As for dog handlers , they get attached to units on deployment basis only really , the veterinary Corps guys sometimes work at Poole in the trainer role , but the handlers are badged guys in the main.

So apart from Artillery , and Engineer if you want a green lid join the Corps about sums it up i,m afraid.

12. Decapitari_G

Decapitari_G New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Ok thanks for the advice. I mean I do want to join the Corps. I've been training for the past 6 months. The issue is with my PMU status which I am appealing. I've been passed fit for the Army but not the Corps at the moment unfortunately so looking for plan bs.

13. Decapitari_G

Decapitari_G New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    @Ninja_Stoker @The guide @Chelonian
    Hi all, I just wanted to give a quick update about my application. After 3 months of gathering evidence and appealing after my PMU status, I have been declared FIT TO PROCEED TO A TRIAL OF TRAINING.
    Thank you for all your help and support.

• Like Like x 14