making a workout plan

gym beast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hey up guys im trying to make a workout plan but struggling. *text deleted** seen tons of different workouts im trying to fit in but cant seem to find enough time in the week (fintan, fartlek, swimming, hill sprints, amraps, 3 miler, 5 miler, mma, muay thai, bmf, parkrun etc).
my current 4 week one doesnt have a rest day and i still havent fit in everything i want.
i do mma and 5 a side on wednesdays, and mauy thai and 5 a side on sundays, and circuit training with another applicant on saturdays. apart from that what should i be looking to fit in? something like: 5 mile run, 3 mile run, fartlek, hill sprints for cardio, along with an occasional swim, and maybe pull ups, push ups and core workouts through the week, with the occasional AMRAPS set? thanks for any help guys

Chrisswan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
you dont have to do everything just a few mixtures and you can always do other stuff every other week. you have to have rest days or you WILL get injured

gym beast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yeah i know i got rid of that plan im more just looking for which things are essential, and need to be in there.

S

stokey_14

Stop trying to fit everything in, you can?t do it, no one can. Pick the stuff your passionate about, be sure to get plenty of running and bodyweight circuits in there but don?t think you?ve got to get interval running, hill sprints, fartlek, 3/5 milers, LSD runs etc in , in one week.

Also try and work on the stuff you struggle with? its really not tough, pick and plan and stick with it. Keep it simple!

If your new to all this make sure you get 2 rest days in, doesn?t mean do nothing on these days just make sure there very light (swim, walk etc)

So long as your getting better week in week out that is all that matters.

Stokey

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I've just had this issue, couldn't find a way to fit everything in so I recommend you restrict to 4 runs a week - 1 longer sprints session (800m sprints); 1 hill sprints or HIIT sprints (hill OR 30 secs sprint, 30 secs rest etc); PRMC-style 3-miler; longer, slower run.
Do some stuff in the AM to make up for time, as well.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
I used to get frustrated when trying to write a fitness programme as I couldn't fit everything in.

Now I train Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. Monday and Friday being my rest days. Although I do try to have an idea about what I'll be doing that week, I usually plan my workout for that day the night before or in the morning. Keep mixing things up. One of the main things I like about Crossfit is that no week is ever the same, and you rarely ever do the same workout. Although PRMC is goal specific, constantly changing your regime keeps your body guessing and stops you getting bored.

State of Mind

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I found that if i kept to the corps fundamentals of pressups, situps, chinups and running everything else was there to be experimented with. Have a couple or three nominated rest days and try different things each week to understand what is best for you. You can try all those nice methods but in moderation.

As Stokey said, Keep It Simple. It is a golden rule which will serve you well.

SoM

gym beast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
thanks guys *text deleted** given it a look over. my plan now looks something like this:

monday-5 miler
tuesday-swimming & AMRAPS
wednesday-MMA and 5 a side
thursday-fartlek and hill sprints
friday-rest
saturday-parkrun and circuit
sunday-muay thai and 5 a side

I generally just do push ups and sit ups throughout the week, push to failure twice a day then rest the next day. the 5 a side isnt a particularly good standard, and the saturday circuit I do with a personal trainer so it varies.