Managed My First 60 press ups, Routine added

Mr T

Reaction score
Finally managed to bang out my first set of 60 press ups at last after a bit of training for 2 weeks. so pleased!

Just wondered how long you would be able to rest in the press up position before going into another burst or until the PTI's pull you out?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Lshort1988

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I asked the same on a post a few days back, apparently its just a few seconds before theyll pull you out for stopping could be wrong though!?

matthewwookie

Reaction score
After 2 weeks of training you can do 60 in a go....good effort. What could you do when you started two weeks ago and what training plan are you following? I could really do with some help on mine!!

Cheers

Matt

Mr T

Reaction score
I ll send you a sample workout routine that I made myself tomorrow! It worked wonders!

I could do about 27 to start off with

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
jeez, hook me up too Mr.T *text deleted*

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah me tooo Mr T this sounds interesting :) I'll try anything that helps.

matthewwookie

Reaction score
Cheers Mr T,

I look forward to it......can't quite get past 25 at the moment.

Matt

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hey MrT - post the workout up on the boards :D

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
christ thats awesome!!

ive been training for a while and gone from 35 to 46

JK

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Most i've done is 52, could do with some help Definately!! i pratice them everyday, i also pratice them during circuit training ;)

Mr T

Reaction score
Right guys, this is what worked for me and may not work for all but i suggest giving it a go as it was quite effective :)

This also needs to be coupled with some appropriate muscle group work in the gym as press ups are an upper body compound exercise, for example you need to work on endurance (comfortable weights for about 4 sets of 20-25 reps). Muscle groups include chest, deltoids (shoulders, posteria, lateral and anterior), and triceps and a little upper back work. all other groups are important too but these mostly for the press ups RM style.

With reguards to press ups themselves, my advice and what worked for me is DO NOT do them everyday, although you may not feel like your body is aching and has worked really hard rest time is very important, you need about 2 solid days of rest, from everything, a week (after i started to rest properly I managed my 1.5 mile in 8.51 :D).

Set 1 Do the absolute maximum you can do, dont be a sissy and go untill it gets tough, push past that until your body hits the ground! *text deleted*

Take about a 1min 30 rest

Set 2 Take off 10 from the total you did in the first set and do that, so if you managed 27, do a set of 17.

Take another 1min 30

Set 3 Round you last set down from the 2nd. e.g. if you did 17 in the 2nd go down to about 12-15, BUT do them slow, take 2seconds to lower your body and about the sme to raise it, make sure you keep perfect form all the time its too easy to sacrafice your form for quantity.

I would be more than happy to make a little gym routine for anyone that would like it, and if there is anything else you feel could be added just post it up!!

And by the way, i cant do 60 straight off! i need a couple of seconds rest in the press up position after about 44 *text deleted*

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You seem to have thought that one out mate - nice one! :D

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
regards to press ups...

during the test...do you bang em out maximum style...then rest then do some more.

or do you do dunno 30 ish...then rest (so your a little fresher) then do the rest?

Mr T

Reaction score
I would bang out about 35-37 then rest for a few secs just to let the body recover from the building lactic acid, it will help prolong the muscle glycogen (muscle immediate engergy) and should hopefully allow you to continue with about another 17-20 reps

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Mr T said:
I would bang out about 35-37 then rest for a few secs just to let the body recover from the building lactic acid, it will help prolong the muscle glycogen (muscle immediate engergy) and should hopefully allow you to continue with about another 17-20 reps
thats what i thought...just before you start to stiffen up

Mr T

Reaction score
Thats it, dont be afraid to rst for a few seconds otherwise you will push your muscles to far and run out of steam and probably not reach your full potential, which would be a shame.

Also remember that all important Adrenaline that will be there on the day, should help for an extra 5 push ups in my opinion

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Great stuff MR T I will be sure to tell myself to quit my crazy jiber jaber u crazy foo when i feel like ive pushed myself and try crack out a few more *text deleted*.

Reaction score
hay Mr T, wow 60 press ups after two weeks of training, cud u possibly send me *text deleted* routine plz i need help wiv my pressups thnx *text deleted* w/b

luke :D