Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Marathon/ultra runner - thinking of joining

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by dg1991, Feb 3, 2019.

1. dg1991

dg1991 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I’ve been interested in joining the marines for a while as a lengthy career, and I’ve taken time to consider my reasons for joining and i have came to the conclusion that the job is a good fit for me. ive always been into fitness and I’m keen on the disciplined lifestyle, so I would definitely not be joining for the wrong reasons

I was wondering as someone who is into running (marathons and ultras), is this something that would be possible to carry on with?

Just not sure how much spare time I’ll have after training and once in a unit...

Of course the job would be my priority 100% therefore I wouldn’t be sacrificing my work ethic and for a hobby...

2. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Forget about any marathon training during RT. In fact, forget about any other sports training at all during that time.

Once in a Unit then it's a different story, you'll be free to train for any sport that you want, depending on operational requirements. Lots of guys go running in their free time, as well as using the gym.

Alan

3. ave!

ave! Royal Marines Commando

There is a running club in the corps but good luck getting released for the events overseas as it’s down to your hierarchy to grant time off. The only sports in the corps that you will realistically get the leeway required is boxing or rugby. Those are the only sports the corps cares about.

I used to be a running instructor beforehand I joined and I was like a whippet , the corps has well and truly taken that ability from me. I pushed to run for the corps but never got the top cover required to go to events

• Like Like x 1