Marathons?! Wtf have i got myself into.......

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Anybody ever ran one?

Somehow when i was pi$$ed, i managed to sign myself up for one in Prague next May?! Me and a couple of mates will be running it. Never done anything like that before.

Got a few months to train up for it, so injury aside, it should be possible. Will give me something to work towards as i've still got a year before i can apply for the RM.

Will all the running make me skeleton thin? Can i expect an ever decreasing max press-up/ pull-up score as muscle dissappears?

Crackin' *text deleted*-up afterwards apparantly, Prague is meant to be stupidly cheap for beers.

Cheers

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
do normal training routine. You can be marathon fit within your time easily, the rest will be mental.

Keep doing your upper body circuits, it wont be affected by most of the running work your required to do, but you NEED to do a big run each week (least 10miles after training a couple of months).

But nice one and good luck, and i thought i did stupid stuff when i was drunk :laugh:

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I did a half marathon many years ago, was a good run. I was only 18 , and didn't see it very competitive, even though the top 3 people were sponsored by Gatorade and put into the Boston Marathon. I think I placed in the 60's out of a few hundred. Was a lot of fun and a great experience. I think it's a good choice you made.

Richard

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yea go for it mate, youl be fine. dont go super thin tho like most of those guys who run it. And it will go in your faivour when you get asked about what youve done in your interview..
Good luck with you run mate

Jack T

Reaction score
13 miles

I`m supposed to be doing the great north run with my old man next year (bout 13miles). The distance don't bother me, as such, as I do 6miles about 3/4 times a week.

What I`m scared of is finishing it and thinking `*text deleted*, thats not even half of the 30 miler!`

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
What I`m scared of is finishing it and thinking `*text deleted*, thats not even half of the 30 miler!`

But by the time you're doing the 30 miler,
you'll be ready for it.

DamageInc85

Reaction score
Go for it mate you'll have a wicked time, Prague is a great city for a bender, really good atmosphere. The cheap booze thing is a bit of myth but the beer is quality and sold by the litre so you can't go wrong!

DamageInc85

Reaction score
Just re-read my post and would like to point out that by 'bender' I am referring to a large drinking session, not a homosexual.

Raz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I entered for the London marathon ballot thing, dont know if i'll have a place till october, if i do get a place then i'm screwed because i've got to start my recruit training after my prmc in november.

Ginger

Reaction score
Good luck with the Prauge Marathon.
I have done three half marathons this year and i am hoping to get sub 90min this Sunday. Its a lot of commitment
when you are doing RM or RMR training aswell, good effort.

C

CharlieDontSurf

training for the marathon is a different ball game. you can't go doing your normal training for the rm then run a marathon, if you want to run a marathon then you should be covering around 50 miles per week of running, including long intervals!

good luck mate, and yes marathon training will make you thin!

New Threads