Marine Cadets

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by westy, Aug 11, 2018.

1. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Afternoon,

I’m looking to put my eldest boys into the Marine Cadets and get them away from all forms of technology as they have become over reliant on it.

I was just wondering if anyone on here has any cool experiences that I can tell them about to encourage them to go?

Also, my eldest boy lacks serious confidence and I’m hoping this may be a great way to help him boost him up as currently, I believe this is his biggest anchor in life?

Any thought from either lads or lassies currently in the Cadets or anyone else in the know?

Many thanks

2. threadpigs

threadpigs Royal Marines Commando

There’s a lot of civvies in rig from my unfortunate experience - they love wearing a rank slide and think they’re part of the military.

I’m hoping that’s just the local detachment that I offered to help a few times and isn’t systematic of the organisation as a whole, but I wouldn’t be surprised. Take them to the ACF or RAFC - better funding at the very least.

• Like Like x 1
  3. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Yeah I kind of agree with that, I see some fat old bird with a proper RM t shirt in at our local armed forces day!! She wasn’t a good advert to be honest!

I was thinking the Marine Cadets mainly as I see they spend time at lympstone etc and thought it maybe an inspiring experience as at the moment they want to be gamers or YouTube vloggers -vomit-

4. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    As a civvie, the youth organisations are great. To forces people, the staff can be tedious and Walt’s, but not all of them. And some cadets leave with a horrendous attitude, like they have already served in the Forces. But generally they are good kids.

I used to be a civvie instructor with a cadet unit, and the staff there were spot on, they saw it as a youth club in uniform, and it was geared and aimed at the kids and giving them a good time and skills.

Take a look at local Sea Cadet units, air cadets, marine cadets and army cadet units. Find the best for you, and your kids interests.
    Generally they all do adventure training but they all differ in various green skills. And the air cadets offer flying and gliding.

There’s a lot of internal politics and it’s rife with paperwork and risk assessments, so the staff need to be on the ball. so the best thing is to go and see your local unit and judge for yourself.
    They can offer a lot for your kids but it can vary.

Feel free to shoot me a message if you want more in-depth information.

5. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Agreed. The RM cadets are a bit more restricted with locations too.

The Army Cadets generally beats the green stuff and the air cadets used to do a mix of shooting and flying with less green stuff. Although having spoken to a mate, apparently there’s a lot of internal co flirt
    And bureaucracy and a lot of things are on hold/stopped.

It varies with the unit though.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Yeah I’m beginning to think visiting various unit may be worthwhile, I know the Sea Cadet OC from my days so perhaps I’ll go and see him too.

I definitely want to get them involved as I think it’ll be really beneficial to their development!

I can assure you though, they won’t be walting it about if they don’t ever actually serve!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Duff1996

Duff1996 Member

App Stage:
    Awaiting selection after AIB pass
    I did it for a while, fortunately through school and had some great opportunities that arose from it.

There is a syllabus that cadets follow as they prepare for the Trafalgar cup or Sir Steuart Pringle trophy which puts all cadet units in competition with each other as they take part in various stances that enables units to win points.

Also got to go on some decent trips, up to 43 and for RM350 got to parade in the Buckingham palace grounds.

My unit focused on a lot of AT which is massively subsidised by the MOD and allows kids to do stuff they would never normally get the opportunity to do.

Politics, Walts and admin aside, you can’t really lose, as long as those involved remember it is a youth organisation in uniform and they are not a steely eyed dealers of death!

Also adds something different to the CV whether applying for a job in the military or Civvie street.

Would definitely recommend.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

There is a member of this site @Former AE who was a SNCO in the Corps and is currently an instructor with the Marine Cadets. He has a good reputation on the OAMAAM forum. Unfortunately he hasn't been around for a while on this site, but have a read of his posts and maybe fire off a pm.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fibonarchie

Fibonarchie Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    It varies a lot from unit to unit. Funding, numbers and instructors are the main points. Instructors as above can be great or complete divs, funding varies a lot it seems though I can’t offer much as to why. Numbers is a big one. Larger groups tend to get better trips etc and don’t run the risk of being closed down, not to mention activities tend to run better with more people. Can’t say more than have a look around and see what’s what.

10. westy

westy Well-Known Member

I’ll phone a few local units and book in for visits with the boys and make a decision, seems the best plan

@Caversham ill see if I can dig through his posts

Many thanks

11. MumOnEdge

MumOnEdge Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    My son has been a marine cadet since he was 13 (very similar reasons for getting him involved in something). He has had a great time, met loads of new friends and had lots of opportunities. He's been away for a week on the Sea Cadet boat (TS something!) He's just competed in ISCRM and his team won a few medals and goes to camp every Easter and Summer. They also take great pride in being involved in the local remembrance parade. It has given him loads of confidence and has probably been the deciding factor in which forces he wanted to join. Which he is now in the process of doing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Brilliant, this is exactly what I want for my boys!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. MumOnEdge

MumOnEdge Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    There's politics and 'know it all's' in everything but mostly the boys don't notice that side of things. Good luck with finding the right group for your sons.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Saracen1

Saracen1 New Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I am a Sea Cadet Adult Volunteer and we have a Royal Marine Cadet Detachment at our Unit.

They have this morning come back from a weeks training at Westdown Camp, Salisbury.

Have a look at
    Alpha Company Royal Marines Cadets - South West Area Sea Cadet Corps

You can show your boys what they could be doing without an Xbox in site

• Like Like x 2
    • Seen Seen x 1
  15. threadpigs

threadpigs Royal Marines Commando

Yea I’d echo that sentiment. Tried helping my local unit back home whenever I was on leave and just got mugged off left, right and charlie by civvies who love a rank slide. It was like being on the set of Eastenders with all the unnecessary politics and drama. Felt bad for the kids.

If I can find a decent unit with some old bootnecks holding down the fort, I may give it another go, but I’m not holding my breath.

16. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Last I heard, although a few years ago, Chatham Marine Cadets had a few ex RMR lads and an ex Para

17. Fleet98

Fleet98 Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Second that my Nod wa wa wa Army Cadets and did all the same same of stuff really boosted , confidence and did real well they can move up the ranks of do Duke of Ed as well. He go to Staff Sergeant although he will kill me if he sees I have posted this!:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  18. channing26

channing26 Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I'm a volunteer at a local SCC Unit that has an RMCD (my husband has just stepped down as Detachment Commander - in fact that was where I met my husband 30 years ago!) and I can't recommend it enough.

All 3 of my boys have been RM Cadets and flourished during their time being involved, and I'm sure this is why my son joined the corps. When on leave my RM returns to the unit to speak to the cadets and help instruct - he says he likes to 'give something back' (although I do always have to look twice when I see the green lid - proud mummy!!)

Our local RMCD has just won the Gibraltar Cup which is awesome for a relatively small unit.
    In Jersey we only have 1 RMCD / SCC unit, but in the UK you will have a much wider choice.

The opportunities that are available are immense to the cadets, ranging from various camps, UK / National Courses, boating, abseiling, competitions, leadership skills, qualifications (I help the older cadets to gain a Btec), as well as shooting, green skills, map work etc.......to name a few! There is a varied syllabus (some classroom based) for the RM cadets with quite stringent promotion boards. The standards are kept incredibly high and rightly so - although there are times when I wish some of the staff would follow the high standard and set an example!!

Apart from the 'fun' activities there are also some formal parades that they also participate in, Liberation Day (in Jersey), Trafalgar Day, Remembrance Sunday are the obvious ones but there may be others that require a cadet involvement. As a small Island all our cadet forces are a credit.

Unfortunately in this day and age H&S is rife and from a staff point of view the amount of paperwork is increasing, but this isn't passed on to the cadets.
    Also all SCC / RMCD staff are volunteers (in our case most have been cadets themselves)

Yes, you may get some staff who love the rank slide and are '*text deleted* be' RM Commandos (possibly a missed opportunity??) but try and look over that.

If you want any further information by all means please PM me - Good Luck to your son whatever he decides to do.

• Like Like x 3
  19. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Hi thank you for your brilliant reply. I’ll contact our local unit and see what the score is with them

Many thanks