Marine Girlfriend

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by queenie515, Sep 24, 2018.

1. queenie515

queenie515 New Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    Hi

My boyfriend is soon to take part in the PMRC in the next few weeks, I’m just after some advice on what to expect? When do I get to speak to him etc. Also how do I get added into the group “parent/partners”.

2. BM1995

BM1995 Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    Hi,

I didn't hear from my partner during his PRMC until he was on the train on the way home -nailbiting-
    They had phones taken off them when they got there. I'm not sure if this is the same in every PRMC though, but even if they are allowed phones I would think communication is very sparse due to lack of free time. Feel free to ask more questions on here as there is loads of support. Only a message away if you need me :)

In regards to getting on the group a moderator should see this and give you access :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Yep, the tether to being always digitally connected will often be promptly severed. :)

In fairness there are genuine training value reasons for confiscation of mobile comms devices in the early stages of RT. One being that Recruits are unable to isolate themselves over a screen and therefore talk and get to know their fellows instead.

Many Recruits, but not all, only get a chance to speak with home over the first weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Geespt

Geespt Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I’ve just passed my final inspection for foundation, going into week 3 now. We had our phones only between 9:30pm-10:20pm and after that they were locked away again.

The weekends we are allowed our phones from about 3pm onwards until the next morning for shoreleave incase a recruit needs to contact the duty Corporal (which happened as the train broke down bringing them back).

Also on my prmc we had our phones all the way through.

I do also beleive those with kids and with the permission of the troop commander they can keep their phones with them in case of any family issues/emergencies!

• Like Like x 2
  5. queenie515

queenie515 New Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    Thankyou guys! This helps massively! Me and my boyfriend are like glue always together! So this is going to be a big change for both of us. But we are strong so we will be alright. Any tips I should know? I’m not getting my hopes up about communication because I’ll jusy be upset if I don’t hear from him.

Thanks x

• Like Like x 1
  6. Corvo50

Corvo50 Royal Marines Commando

Keep your self as busy as you can, be supportive with any milestone he has set. For example getting a green belt and moving in to phase 2 might not sound a big deal to you but will mean a lot to him.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Having an understanding of why someone's contact with home suddenly falls off a cliff is half the battle so well done for researching possible issues before he starts.

It's worth bearing in mind that weekend leaves can be cancelled at short notice for a variety of reasons. If this happens both Recruit and family will be 'threaders' as Royal Marines apparently say. But being aware of the possibility maybe lessens the shock if it does happen.

Also worth researching are the week-by-week details of Recruit Training. Knowing when the major exercises are scheduled and the basics of what the blokes are doing at any given time means that time needn't be wasted when the two of you get a chance to talk. Plenty of information available on the forum so please do ask.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Saz

Saz Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    Welcome to the group!

Phone calls and texts are sparse and they will often ring up and drip , let them also be as upbeat and positive as you can, they will need that

Also sometimes no new is good news!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Saz

Saz Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    Also being a super supportive partner and getting them through RT does not mean you get a prize for surviving - something I personally needs reviewing :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  10. queenie515

queenie515 New Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    Thankyou I will keep that in mind, I’d say I am quite supportive been through every step with him so far on his journey!

• Like Like x 1