Marine 'ing'

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
hey

when you pass out and do your general duties for a year or so, what do you actually do because you can't just do fitness everyday?
my mate didn't know and i wasn't to clear either so he called it 'marine-ing'
he said the definition to be walking lots of miles all day.

*text deleted* :D

could someone do a week diary or what a typical week would involve being a marine.

regards

CJ

RossRobObey

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Good question - I too had wondered this, but didn't think to ask.

Also, with 40C in Afgan. at the mo, what are the chances of either 42 or 45 being posted there?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Doubtless there are many better qualified than I to advise day to day life, but you have to remember that training doesn't finish after 32 weeks. The problem is skill-fade & drills have to be practiced regularly, together with maintaining your operational performance standard by keeping you daily fitness ticking over together with advancement/promotional training for career development.

There's always new kit being trialled & evaluated, tri-service exercises & multi-national exercises to ensure your unit is as operationally effective & as instantly deployable as possible, there's often courses to be taken to develop your skills & you need to train for the next rotational operation deployment of your unit. Yes, all Commando units are very likely to take their turn to serve in Afghanistan & elsewhere. When you return, there's leave to be taken.

No two weeks are the same realistically, so it's very difficult to give an average day-to-day diary. You're most often operationally deployed, preparing to deploy or have just returned from ops.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
im not going against what ninja has said or saying i know better but you also spend a lot of time abroad in different countries doing loads of different field exercises and getting you used to being out in all types of weather and learning what its like to operate in a place you have no clue about. etc

not to mention continuos practice of drills you use in the field

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
You are of course correct ZZ, I forgot to mention that multi-national exercises are not exclusively UK based. Obviously arctic warfare, desert warfare & jungle warfare exercises will take you further afield, good point mate.

rhodri

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
42 and 45 are going out to afghaninstan in november time i think