Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Marine Or Officer?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by Bb33n15432, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Bb33n15432

Bb33n15432 Well-Known Member

Don't know if this is the right area to post this sort of thing - dead sorry if it isn't. Basically I'm in the second year of Sixth Form and I've always wanted to join the Royal Marines, since about 11 or 12. But I'm having real trouble deciding on what career path I want to go down, Marine or Officer? I have loads of family friends who are current and ex military trying to convince me to join as an Officer, but I really don't want to! I've had offers from all the Uni's I've applied for but I'm really not feeling it. Can't be asked with another 3 years of sitting in a classroom. Just want to get stuck in and join as a Marine as it stands! Have loads of options for work if I ever decided to come out, family friends that are in Overseas Security/parents both own businesses. Plus I will have A levels so could do a degree as a mature student if I came out and needed to do so. Predicted three B's but feel like I'm *text deleted* get lower, all I want to do is leave college and get straight in to the Marines! Feel like life as a Marine would suit me better than an Officer Role too, not bothered about the pay as silly as it sounds! Don't know how well I've written this post or if you'll be able to see where I'm getting at, but any help would be appreciated. Cheers Lads

2. Xerath

Xerath Venerated Contributor

If you really don't want to join as an Officer then don't, simple as that! If your mind isn't in it then there's no point doing it mate.

3. BrigRat

BrigRat Venerated Contributor

Just in case you didn't know, you don't need a degree to join as an officer, so you can apply as long as you meet the educational requirements listed here: http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/Careers/Role-finder/Roles/RoyalMarinesOfficer

I'm applying for Officer simply because who doesn't like that extra wad of cash in the wallet?

I joke, the pay makes no difference of course.

Personally, I'm trying Officer selection and if I fail this Sift interview I'm applying as a Marine. Simple.

4. Sheffblade

Sheffblade Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Can you definitely do that? Because I'm in a similar position, think I'm going to have the grades but totally sure whether I'm officer material

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Definitely.

• Like Like x 3
  6. BrigRat

You can defy anything you like mate, apart from arrest perhaps :D

I'm once again kidding - what a laugh, eh. Yep, if you fail a part of the application then you can switch jobs. Think you might have to wait a few months depending on what was failed and how badly though.

Obviously, I'm trying my very best to get to POC but I'm determined to get a green lid no matter the starting rank.

Good luck man :)

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

A POC pass is transferable as a valid PRMC pass nowadays.

8. BrigRat

Lovely. Say I failed Sift, would I be deferred to sit an OR interview?

9. Sheffblade

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Cheers for help lads!

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

If you fail for Officer, you can usually apply for Other Rank unless the fail is due to an eligibility issue for both.

11. Bb33n15432

Cheers for the help lads, yeah I knew about being able to do commission without a degree! Can anybody give me any positive points of joining as a Marine as apposed to an Officer that I can use to help make my decision? I feel I'm more of a physical person, I don't like sitting down or doing any work, hence why I really don't like college much any more! So perhaps I would be suited more to a Marine role. Only there because of my parents and rugby!

12. BrigRat

Then, I shall not fail.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sheffblade

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    When you recommend me to apply?
    Cause at minute I've damaged ankle ligaments so can't do any running and obviously can't do pjft. Would it still be worth doing other tests?

14. BrigRat

You could always do the psychometric test then put the app on hold if you're injured. I don't imagine you'd pass the medical with ankle injuries, but it took me almost a month to go from psychometric to medical, so you might've healed by then.

15. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

It may be advisable to avoid this particular phrase at interview.
    Good luck.

16. Bb33n15432

I won't haha! Only using it for the purpose of the forum, to get the best poss advice! Thanks pal

17. prouty111

prouty111 Royal Marines Commando

If you "don't like sitting down doing any work" then an officer is not for you I'm afraid. You would have to do a lot of admin. And as you progress through your career a desk might end up being your best friend.

18. PRMD

PRMD Member

Please tell me this doesn't apply for ratings? :P

19. PRMD

PRMD Member

Please tell me this doesn't apply for ratings? :P

20. Sheffblade

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    What sort of mentality and personalty do you have to have to be an officer?
    Do you have to be quite a loud, really confident type of person?