Marine style push up

chrystal19

Reaction score
I read somewhere that your arms had to be locked into your sides. But if I look on any video of marines doing press ups there arms aren't locked into their sides!

Am I right in thinking that your triceps would be touching your lats in this position?

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i've also heard that you need the arms locked into the sides, but on the RM videos he just has his hands placed together 'close arm push up'

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
if you look at the "press up" vid his elbows remain tucked in. this is how a normal press up is done, wide arm press ups, the elbow obviously go out.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i'm not sure i follow, they are a part of your body. you elbows shouldn't stick out they should be as you see on the vid- tucked in and touching your sides when low. i doubt i'd be able to explain it better than is shown on the vid. if i were you i'd just copy the way the vid shows- what you have called marine style is what they call "press up" so practice "press ups" in that fashion- hands shoulder width apart elbows tucked in.

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yes Chrystal.

Arms shoulder width apart, shoulders straight above arms elbows tucked in.

Simple enough, it is possible to go into that position and for your arms to come out, you just keep them tight into your sides.

Just do them this way cause you don't want to go there and find out you've being doing them wrong and not get your best results.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
I seem to be having problems with my posture too.

I.e. my arse stays where it is roughly and the torso goes up and down. No matter what i do i cant seem to get the posture right. *text deleted* tried getting it so my groin touches the floor but it looks well weird.

Any one know how i can improve my posture?

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Tense your arse and your abs when your doing press ups aswell (If your not already doing it mind)
Just tried that and i farted......its hard to tense your arse.

I presume its the lower back muscles that stop this posture being *text deleted**text deleted*?

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
something i found helped me was decline press ups (feet higher than hands) it makes the press ups harder and makes your core work for it

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Totally spot on advice, there is a resitance machine at my gym.....it tottaly *text deleted**text deleted*s you up but it helps that core body strength and the muscle group that helps your body maintain posture.

Also there is a stress position that helps ot too.