Marines and bullying

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I'm on a para forum at the minute reading some threads, I don't post there, I'm just having a read, don't worry I'm not 2 timing.

Anyway I've just been reading a thread and this one guy says that when he was at Catterick there was alot of bullying, just wondered if the same goes on at Lympstone ?

M

MTW

i very much doubt it in the marines mate, alot of banter obviously, but they are pretty hot on bullying down there i have heard (if it ever even happens!).

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The Official line:

The Royal Navy & Royal Marines are committed to upholding the right of all personnel to work in an environment free from intimidation, humiliation, harassment or abuse.

Behaviour such as bullying or harassment is manifestly unfair, undermines confidence and reduces morale. There is zero tolerance to bullying and harassment in the Royal Navy.

Any allegation of discrimination, harassment, victimisation or bullying will be investigated and disciplinary or administrative action taken where there is sufficient and reliable evidence.

Advice and support is available at any stage to both victims and alleged perpetrators from many sources.

There include the person's Divisional Officer, a chaplain, the ship/establishment Equal Opportunities Adviser, legal advisers, the Naval Personal and Family Services organisation or the Confidential
Supportline which is displayed on all Establishment Noticeboards.

In short, if in doubt, call the Supportline.

Confidential Supportline:
Military Personnel 0800 731 4880
9380 31 4480
++44 1980 630854
(Open 1030-2230, 7 days a week)
Civilian Personnel 020 7218 2666
9621 82666

BradfordBulls

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
theres *text deleted**text deleted**s everywhere, but as Ninja says there are firm rules against bullying.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
As correctly stated bullying unfortunately exists in all walks, but my honest opinion is that the Armed Forces do take the issue very seriously to the extent you should never feel bullied & nor should you bully anyone or fail to report someone who does bully. It would be totally naive to claim it has never happened or never will, but the mechanisms are in place to stop it dead if it occurs.

In years gone by certain things were tolerated as part of "initiation" & that certainly went on when I joined (27 years ago) but I genuinely hope & believe that such things cannot be tolerated today.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
In years gone by certain things were tolerated as part of "initiation" & that certainly went on when I joined (27 years ago) but I genuinely hope & believe that such things cannot be tolerated today.

My close mate still has two false front teeth from a "initiation game" involving golf balls, boots, and a lot of booze......but initiation will happen, and does happen from people i know that have recently passed out.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It would probably be prudent not to relay anecdotal tales as fact & Steve's book was relating to quite some time ago.

Doubtless boisterous games involving alcohol persist but it would be unwise to suggest they are initiations unless you have first hand experience.

Ash

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
train hard, take steroids and take up cagefighting..

you'll find you won't get bullied then.. :laugh:

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
train hard, take steroids and take up cagefighting..

you'll find you won't get bullied then.. :laugh:

Thats the stupidest thing to say, steriods normally *text deleted**text deleted*s your muscles up. And the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i don't want to sound like i'm condoning bullying but if you (as in "one") think about it it- marines are modern day warriors they're not going to sit around and exchange recipes are they? if you can't take a bit of rough and tumble and some (perhaps bit harsh) jibs and jokes then why the hell are you joining the Royal Marine Commandos?!

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thats the stupidest thing to say, steriods normally *text deleted**text deleted*s your muscles up. And the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

No they don't.

Not that I support steroid use.

i don't want to sound like i'm condoning bullying but if you (as in "one") think about it it- marines are modern day warriors they're not going to sit around and exchange recipes are they? if you can't take a bit of rough and tumble and some (perhaps bit harsh) jibs and jokes then why the hell are you joining the Royal Marine Commandos?!

True but that isn't the be all of bullying or what is considered bullying.

When my bro was at Catterick he got bullied by one of the NCO's I think it was. I asked my AFCA about it though and he said it wouldn't happen in the Navy.

Ash

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Come on Stacka, be real man... im only jokin bout the steroids..

but do indeed train hard and take up cagefighting.. :bully:

R. M. Pitt

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Steroids=small *text deleted**text deleted* and brain damage