Marines family housing

cpvg1712

Reaction score
can anyone advise what the marines housing is like? We are married with one child so would that be a two bed house? Thanks in advance

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
can anyone advise what the marines housing is like? We are married with one child so would that be a two bed house? Thanks in advance

You will be able to live in the married quarters, when he passes out.
when he gets to a unit he will have to go to the pay office to apply for it and get all the relevant information. There will be set procedures to follow, and he will get all the information he needs.

I would imagine it would be at least 2 bedrooms.

Don't worry, your not the first nor the last, the military will square you away.

R

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
@cpvg1712 I can elaborate on what my SFA's were like for my family to live in. I think from your question that is really what your asking?

Once becoming a trained rank an application can be made via the Service Family Accommodation (SFA) website, all the properties are managed by a company called Carillionamey this is their website here. Think council housing type buildings and your pretty close to what you will get. I have posted pictures in a previous thread of my patch street in Scotland. -vomit-

Sometimes there is no other option when trying to keep your family close than use SFA. However even though the rents are subsidised, the condition, age and cost of heating /electricity can make civilian renting or buying a cheaper and more inviting option. My family live in a civilian rental after having 2 SFA homes, make of that what you will.

old-lynx-mech

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Also if looking to the future normally best to be on the housing ladder sooner rather than later. I've seen people struggle who relied on the military all career, then got a bit of a shock making the move to civvy housing.
I had other friends who lived in mil accomodation and then brought a house (or houses!) which they rented out.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Also if looking to the future normally best to be on the housing ladder sooner rather than later. I've seen people struggle who relied on the military all career, then got a bit of a shock making the move to civvy housing.
I had other friends who lived in mil accomodation and then brought a house (or houses!) which they rented out.

I second this motion.

Reactions: R

R

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Its a quality of life issue as well as financial, the term "happy wife, happy life" definitely comes to mind. The rents and expenses for SFA increased year on year while I was in them, but the repairs were slower, and the housing is as I remarked liked council housing. The last SFA I had was in Devon, half the estate was MOD housing and had been sold to the council 15 years prior. Funnily enough the council housing was far better maintained, insulated with solar panels on newer roofs than our SFA which was growing a nice fern garden.

There are some nice SFA properties Lympstone village being good, and always fully occupied. The intention of the MOD is to phase out SFA housing though I dislike quoting The Guardian they do give a pretty good overview of the situation in this article.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Does that mean that you are less likely to be together after posting? Do you end up having to commute at weekends or accept all moving house every 2 or 3 years? Married quartets used to be a good deal. It is disappointing that they have become so poor. There was a good supportive community around service quarters and it allowed people to save to eventually buy.

Agree whole heartedly. It's definitely a factor that needs attention and I would rather money be spent on that over some other nonsense.
It should be about encouraging that community and helping the families.

R

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Does that mean that you are less likely to be together after posting? Do you end up having to commute at weekends or accept all moving house every 2 or 3 years? Married quartets used to be a good deal. It is disappointing that they have become so poor. There was a good supportive community around service quarters and it allowed people to save to eventually buy.

If your deployed or on course your going to be away from your family whether they are in SFA or your own privately rented/owned home, such is the nature of Royal Marine employment. If you end up being drafted to another location your family will move to another SFA estate zoned to the base location, move your kids to new schools and all that fun etc. Their are some exceptions such as if your parter is in full-time study and you can apply to keep your current SFA, but these are decided case by case, and not always approved.

There are some great people in the patches, and some "dependapotamus" <-- worth a google :D
But bootnecks always seem to buy around the same areas so we still have that not being in the patch, just a better place and less stress *text deleted*.

There are some huge financial issues that need to be addressed with cost, quality and how SFA is delivered, its in the process of being phasing out, the flexible working model also comes to mind in a way to further reduce manning costs but that's a different topic. This is a nice starting point if you fancy a read. link