Marines Sit-Up question

bullysh*t

Reaction score
Far be it from me to criticise the the royal marines sit-up method. But, looking at the sit-up instructional on the website, this pretty much goes against everything I've read and been taught about working the core and the abdominable muscles.

If you support your feet under something then mcuh of the work in the movement is being done by the bigger muscles in your upper leg, your abs only start getting worked after these muscles get tired. I tried it today and I knocked out 100 of them before I stopped because I was bored, it wasn't till I got to about 70 that I could even feel the burn in my abs. And yes, I was doing them exactly as shown on the RM website. Would you guys suggest I carry on with this sit-up method, or do other core excercises like v-ups and crunches?

And no, im not in amazingly good shape. Im currently at 50 consecutive close arm push-ups, and 10 consecutive pull-ups. Im 5'11 and 13 stone. Its just I find doing this form of sit-up really easy.

willjer

Reaction score
Alrite *text deleted*, yeh i know what u mean about the leg burn thing i found that, if *text deleted* finding them easy then thats good i would just carry on cracking them out as they are the ones they make u do on prmc. The thing i found lowered my situp score was they make u bring *text deleted* arse right in close to *text deleted* feet which is fairy hard. They also quite like the old leg raises on bottom field so yeh v sits and crunches wouldnt go a miss.
Best of luck to u *text deleted*.

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I get soreness in my upper thighs but anyway, I would do them that way as that is what they're asking for and the way you'll do it when you're there.. Nothing wrong with doing other Ab exercises though so I'd ofcourse do other Ab exercises aswell(after).

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I think your thighs will hurt when you first start off, but if you are managing a hundred then they shouldn't. I have come past this stage, a lot of leg work will get rid of that as well.

I usually place a weighted ball on my feet and push against the wall so they are rigid and do not move. Then knee's in close together, then you can push out the sit ups smooth and in perfect form. It definitely works the abs for me.

This ensures you are using the exact same muscle again and again. If there is nothing to hold the feet down I find your legs can move around, which means you may not be using the exact same part of the muscle and the sit ups will not be smooth.