martial arts in the marines?

Reaction score
Alright lads just wondering if you can do different martial arts in the marines? For sports. Just curious.

James.H

Reaction score
Ye, I know they do participate in (to the best of my knowledge) Kickboxing, k1 Kickboxing, Judo, Boxing for certain and possibly Karate at the interservice level, I would assume there are a few more within the Corps alone.? I did here somewhere that Thai boxing may also appear which would be excellent

Reaction score
Nice
Ye, I know they do participate in (to the best of my knowledge) Kickboxing, k1 Kickboxing, Judo, Boxing for certain and possibly Karate at the interservice level, I would assume there are a few more within the Corps alone.? I did here somewhere that Thai boxing may also appear which would be excellent

Wingzero

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I believe with Karate, they only do Shotokan or Goju ryu Karate.
I was hoping they would implement Kyokushin or any one of it's off shoots like Ashihara
particularly for the marines as Kyokushin is a harder form of karate.
Ashihara however trains more realistically in that it allows for grappling and a form of slipping around your opponent called taisabaki.
Maybe when I'm in, I could sort something.

WelshLad97

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I heard that the Marines have a quality Brazilian Jiu Jitsu set up as well.

Wingzero

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
@Pock are the karate tourneys to ippon in there? (one hit point system)

Frankie11

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
What is taught during training for hand to hand combat? Krav Maga?

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
It's not really a set martial art, just a combination of stuff that works if you've got kit on. Think they call it RMCC.

champ23

Reaction score
Can you do these rt training? Or is after? And can beginners do these or do have to have a back ground of it?

Reaction score
I'm only a sprog but have already represented the Navy at the interservices martial arts champs, then competed at a national champs as part of the combined services team (karate).
Can you take up tai chi In the marines?

Last edited:

Sheffblade

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have to have a background in most of the sports or can you go as a begginer?

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Can you do these rt training? Or is after? And can beginners do these or do have to have a back ground of it?

You can't do it in training, I asked when I was at CTC and the time/energy just isn't available.

You don't need much experience to join afterwards however, the association usually jacks up some training weeks during the year so it's not just about competing.

Rover

Reaction score
Perhaps the most famous 'after hours' training establishment for self defence/combat training being the 'Union Strasse’ where you could practice your skills in the disarmingly named ‘Naval School of Dancing’.

Many being graduates of Sensei ‘Mad’ Jock Fitzpatrick, 1st Dan Pink Belt in Origami.

New Threads