Martial Arts Training Injuries

Jeckelll

Reaction score
Another way to avoid certain injuries in Martial Arts is through what is known as body conditioning.
This can be anything from hitting the Makiwara board, to hitting certain parts of your body with a wooden stick, sounds wierd i know but these are tried and tested methods of martial artists.
The theory is that under the increased physical stress, your body will strengthen in order to the increased workload, and not only do muscles condition, but also skin (skin callouses), and bones (accordance with wolff's law).
Through this type of body conditioning certain injuries can be prevented.

I've tried the makiwara myself and it works, but you certainly feel it the first time you hit it!

Cheers

James E

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Damage

The worst one I ever did was damage to my internal organs. In truth at the time I thought my number was up. Thankfully I was lucky enough to be training with people whoi have an immense knowledge of the body and helped me to recover from it.

As for my other injury, a crushed scaphoid bone. Thankfully that's healed too. At the time of the injuries I asked myself, why do I continue to do this type of stuff? And the answer is...becasue I enjoy it.

Jeckell: I understand what you are saying. I think this is called body conditioning. I did a bit of this in Liverpool some years back and I'm sure the shaolin monks do this too.

Cheers

Steve

Jeckelll

Reaction score
hmmm

Hmm it occured to me that I kinda threw that condititioning thing into the mix there, some injuries are seemingly unavoidable in martial arts.
How did you manage to damage your internal organs?
Was it a strike to the abdomen?
Im quite worried about an injury I've recently incurred to my right shoulder as I've been having sharp/dull pains everytime I raise my right arm, as a result of going to ground awkwardly in a game of rugby, hope it wont affect my chances of getting in the corps! :scared: :weightlifting:

Dodger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
When i was doing martial arts I never really seriously injured myself apart from within my first 2 - 3 weeks when i broke my wrist, since then I never really badly hurt myself. Rugby is where I broke most of my bones, all good fun though (now)

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Injury

Hmm it occured to me that I kinda threw that condititioning thing into the mix there, some injuries are seemingly unavoidable in martial arts.
How did you manage to damage your internal organs?
Was it a strike to the abdomen?
Im quite worried about an injury I've recently incurred to my right shoulder as I've been having sharp/dull pains everytime I raise my right arm, as a result of going to ground awkwardly in a game of rugby, hope it wont affect my chances of getting in the corps! :scared: :weightlifting:
Yes it was from a kick. It was unintentional and came from my sensei. He dived into a roll and landed on me, the kick came with all his bodyweight behind it. I got up from it but was in a bad way. He was truly shocked at the outcome and he said he was going to stop training forever from that day. However, I told him, I'm not dead yet so hang fire. Thankfully I managed to get some remedial work done by Richard, whom I mentioned in my second book. He helped to rebalance my internal organs so that I could speed up my recovery. It was a little worrying at the time though!!

Now, I'm training like there's no tomorrow. *text deleted*

Cheers

Steve

Jeckelll

Reaction score
Injury

Painful! At least your back up and at em now which is the main thing I guess.

Yes Ninjutsu is a great martial art.
I have a few years Karate under my belt, was a GKR member, it was something I did excel at, not to sound too big-headed and I loved it.
Alas, my local dojo was burned down by vandals and hence my Karate training ended, I did Chi Kung as well and Im just getting back into it now, I find it supplements my preparation for recruit training in the Marines.

From memory, what kinds of CQC do you remember being taught as a recruit?
Does it resemble Jujitsu? Or any other Martial Art?

Cheers

James E

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Jujitsu

Yes it resembles Jujitsu.

However, I guess any martial art learnt to a high level comes in handy from time to time. But truly on the day, against any opponent, its down to the individuals ability.

The martial arts and other stuff are tools to add to your defence tool box and can only be a positive thing really.

All good stuff.

Cheers

Steve