Martial Arts

noble

Reaction score
I've studied Shorinji Kan Jujutsu and Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu (ninjutsu) although I recently had to quit jujutsu due to time constraints, I'm hoping that budo taijutsu will be beneficial to becoming a royal marines commando.

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
2 snaped ligaments
1 torn cartalage
4 ripped muscles
Several fractures
coutless broken toes
1 torn sholder blade
and a soddin grate headache

All from playing blind side flanker

C

I say every nock makes u harder

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Ninjutsu

noble said:
I've studied Shorinji Kan Jujutsu and Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu (ninjutsu) although I recently had to quit jujutsu due to time constraints, I'm hoping that budo taijutsu will be beneficial to becoming a royal marines commando.
Hey noble mate, it looks like you and I have Ninjutsu in common. I've just checked out your site. Its pretty cool.

Lord_Carl: I was once told that rugby was a tough game played by men with odd shaped balls. Its quite popular in the Corps too mate.

All the very best

Steve

wallace

Reaction score
lord_carl said:
2 snaped ligaments
1 torn cartalage
4 ripped muscles
Several fractures
coutless broken toes
1 torn sholder blade
and a soddin grate headache

All from playing blind side flanker

C

I say every nock makes u harder
sounds like the song twelve days of christmas there :P

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
wu shu kung fu for 3 years when i was 12.

then when i was in germany in the army i did some thai boxing...for about a year or just less.

but thats it

South

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
When i was 13 i did a style of kung fu called 'Choi Li Fut', dont know if thats spelt right :roll:

Keeps you fit, a lot of phys :D

I would like to take up muay thai but im willing to give anything else a try if im honest :wink:

jim87spencer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i did judo as a kid, a little bit of taikwondo but ninjitsu was my favourite... especially when we'd deflect throwing stars with swords... crossbows were fun aswell :*text deleted*:

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Bang Wallop

jim87spencer said:
i did judo as a kid, a little bit of taikwondo but ninjitsu was my favourite... especially when we'd deflect throwing stars with swords... crossbows were fun aswell :*text deleted*:
HHHHmmmm: What about handgrenade catching and throwing. Did you do that too......... I think that's called OOF BANG OOF technique! :shock: :D

He He He He He :roll: :shock: :D

Cheers

Steve

miramira

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ste Preece, I used to do bujinkan in south london until 2 years ago, my instructor, shidoshi/shidōshi-ho Rob, I'm sure mentioned you once or twice (my memory is a bit faded but the description of a 15-dan northern, ex-marine is somthing that stayed in my mind)

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Ninjutsu

Ste Preece, I used to do bujinkan in south london until 2 years ago, my instructor, shidoshi/shidōshi-ho Rob, I'm sure mentioned you once or twice (my memory is a bit faded but the description of a 15-dan northern, ex-marine is somthing that stayed in my mind)
To my knowledge theres only one 15th dan in this part of the country and he was one of my sensei's for a while. He was made a Master in his own right by the Japanese Grandmaster. I also studied Amatsu with him, which is a japanese healing therapy.

These days, we don't get too hooked up on grades, but more so on ability.

I trained in Liverpool with a guy a few years ago. He was supurb at sword and stick fighting. The same guy studied several sword fighting classes with Masaaka hatsumi, the Grand Master in Japan. At the end of each class he was given a peice of cloth with japanese writing on it. When he'd finished all classes he asked the Grand Master what they meant and the Master just shrugged his shoulders.

His meaning was, that it wasn't just about achieving the end goal, but more so about what skills and ability he had learned through the journey getting there.

Ninjustu plays a big part in my life these days and I believe I am lucky to have trained with and am still training with some very special exceptional people.

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I currently do Thai-Kick-Jitsu, and I've found it really suits me. It's a cross between muay thai, kick boxing, taekwondo, aikido, and jiu jitsu. Personally I enjoy it because of the freedom, it's such a flowing style, with pretty much any move joining on fairly seamlessly from any other move.

Plus, learning how to nut someone for a martial art has got to make it a pretty good style, right!?
Our Kru sometimes gives us Shaolin style kung fu sessions, which I really enjoy, and my mandarin teacher has organised an hour long kung fu session from the shaolin master in Britain, which I was very impressed by.

And my club is the same Steve, gradings aren't particularly emphasised. they are carried out, but not as if they're the be all and end all.

Paul-M

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
And my club is the same Steve, gradings aren't particularly emphasised. they are carried out, but not as if they're the be all and end all.
That's always a good sign, you want your club to be focused on teaching you what you need to know, not just mindlessly going through the same syllabus for every student to get you through the belt factory or "McDojo".

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
The way

The way we teach is not to keep repeating the same techniques over and over again. The idea is that your reaction to a situation will come from your subconscious mind rather than a pre planned move that might work on one person but not on others. If you know what you are going to do before you do it, that's pre planned.

As for my nut, well.... I do use it very differently these days. Logically rather than physically. However, the 15th Dan I mentioned earlier once wanted me to throw it at him in front of a packed dojo. To be honest I was disappointed and I knew he was having an ego trip. I threw it as swift as it goes and saw a look of fear on his face. Then he moved away from it within a split second. However, inside that split second I pulled back slightly. Everybody clapped for him, acknowledging the speed he used to avoid the blow. However, one guy came up to me later. He was a close friend of the 15th dan and was stood very close to me when we did this. He told me that, although people clapped for the 15th dan, he was absolutely certain that I pulled back at the last second before he moved. And....so was the 15th dan, who never made the same request again!!

Don't get me wrong, the 15th Dan is supurb in his training, but as a former Royal Marine I can be quite professional too.

Martial Arts is a great thing to get into. Its not everybody's cup of tea, but if its your thing fill your boots.

Best Wishes

Steve