Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Martial Arts...

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by RM_Bandit, Jan 19, 2012.

1. RM_Bandit

RM_Bandit Member

So I'm starting Kickboxing tonight, but I'm also thinking of starting up another martial art but one for ground techniques. What would people recommend? There is a jiu jitsu club near to me which would be on different days to kickboxing.

I want to get into cage fighting/mma after about a year or so, but want a good basis first

2. dnn

dnn New Member

I'd recommend jiu jitsu for ground work definitely, I've done Judo since I was about 8 and there is a lot of groundwork involved in that also. Haven't got much experience in any other forms of martial arts which include ground work unless you have an MMA club/classes local.

3. RM_Bandit

RM_Bandit Member

I've always been told and from what I can find is to focus on each art individually as that way you can mix them up in your own way and have a broader range of attacks/defence

But yeah was just wondering about jiu jitsu or maybe other ground arts that are good to mix with KB

4. dnn

dnn New Member

Yeah I would agree with that mate.

5. MacheteMeetsBiscuit

MacheteMeetsBiscuit Member

Obviously a Jiu Jitsu club is good but they'll teach it as a self-defence art, i.e. strike/break/snap and run. If you start at an MMA club now, forget the 'good grounding' - a proper place will teach all the Judo and JJ throws and grappling you need, plus some wrestling, stand-up techniques, take-downs. BUT they do it from a sport perspective which is better because, whereas in JJ classes you'll be told to punch, throw and run, here they focus you on diving in there and grappling, strikes will be added once you are a good wrestler.

Just tonight I've learnt 3 new 'moves' and from 3 different martial arts:

- Judo - throw
    - Jiu Jitsu - escaping from a mounted-offence
    - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - a counter-take-down

Find a good MMA club mate and ask about grappling/BJJ lessons, it'll do you a world of good. It WILL do self-defence but they focus more on the art of wrestling than just smacking a thug the second you get a dominant position.

6. WelshLad91

WelshLad91 Royal Marines Commando

Try and get on the Brazilian Ju Jitsu, its awsome!

7. RM_Bandit

RM_Bandit Member

Just got back from kickboxing tonight, was awesome. Proper hangout. Definitely going to keep doing it.
    I'll have to keep looking around at the different clubs nearby and see what's available

8. Master_Sayer

Master_Sayer Member

Brizilian ju-jitsu is the best for ground fighting. I did basically japanese ju-jitsu which is more self defence but still involves some ground fighting. If your going to do MMA just do it you don't need a basis. I'm considering doing it myself soon once my supposedly tendonitis gets better.
    That reminds me when I was talking to someone who said he's going to join the army as a normal soldier first then join the RM after. What the??? If you want to join the RM then just join them you poofy cusion.
    Anyway yeah, ju-jitsu's good. I believe quite a bit of unarmed combat in RM is derived from that. Well it looked like it when I saw it.

9. Master_Sayer

Master_Sayer Member

Okay then do what ever your heart desires. It is a good workout though isn't it.

10. JMC

JMC New Member

If you want to improve your contact skills, most MMA fighters use a style of KB called Mauy Thai (more commonly known as Thai Boxing) it uses 8 striking points rather than the 4 of normal KB. Will better prepare you for MMA as the stance you fight from is also more suited.

11. dnn

dnn New Member

Also if you want to try new things there is something called Krav maga you might have heard of, it was developed by the Israeli Military as their primary self defence technique. I've only done about 20 hours of it myself because there aren't any classes local to me but it was very good (like any martial arts/self defence type thing providing you have a good teacher). Maybe look it up and see if it is something you fancy.

But as already mentioned if your goal is to compete in cage fighting or MMA its probably best to get down to a club, I don't know your situation but if I was starting from scratch I would learn the basics to MMA, find out what your strengths and weaknesses are and if training commitments allowed then look at specific martial arts to improve. E.g. if I started MMA and was awful on the ground I would find a decent wrestling club asap.

12. dnn

dnn New Member

I think this is the best advice.

13. ste preece

ste preece Former RM

All Martial arts are good in their own way. No particular martial art is better than the other and often it is down to the skill of the individual within their martial art and the actual performance on the night against an opponent.

It is worth remembering that martial arts don't make you invincible, but they do mean you have a better chance.

I am qualified as an instructor in Ninjutsu and I tell all the new guys this, as I don't want them to ethey will become invincible.

"Only bootnecks are invincible." For sure
    . (smile)

Steve