martial arts......

Status
Not open for further replies.

maophia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am curious about the RM's point of view on martial arts, in particular Wing Chun (or Wing Tsun). And would I be able to carry on learning through the RM?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
There is an RN/RM Martial Arts Associaction to help encourage train & compete in many martial arts.

You should be able to continue undergoing martial arts tuition in the majority of mainstream arts & some of the more obscure ones also.

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Wing Chun Gung Fu? I did that for a while, really enjoyed it and would be excellent if i could start it up again whilst in the RM.

ben25

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
sack that off

Brazilain Jiu Jitsu is the shiznit mixed with some MMA !!

o yea !!

maophia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
ben what is MMA? and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu isn't that just rolling around on the floor stuff, with some Muay Thai thrown in?

I know a mate who is RM and he does/did wing tsun on as a civviy will ask him what the score is with his training is.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Martial Arts

Over the years I've trained in Boxing, Jujitsu, Aikido and finally settled on Ninjutsu. There are many martial arts. Most are as effective as each other. However, my belief is that they don't make you invincible, they just mean you have a better chance.

There was a programme screened some time ago on the Discovery Channel. It was called: The Ultimate Warrior. It gave displays of effectiveness in all kinds of martial arts. Albeit: At the end of it, on this occasion, the ultimate warrior was the Ninja. However, even he said, winning in hand to hand combat, is down to the individual's ability in any martial art and how they perform on the day/night.

I would recommend martial arts training though. It keeps you fit, flexible, builds your confidence and most importantly puts you in control.

The Corps actively promotes sports and martial arts, so if this is your type of thing, then go for it.

Cheers

Steve

maophia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Aikido looks to be very similar in principle to Wing Tsun, that being you use the attackers motion against them. the only obvious difference appears to be that Aikido uses bigger movements.

I was once told that if you fought in a phone box wing tsun would be the best style to use. due to is small intricate nature.

Is this a fair observation if so Aikido looks to be right up my street as I'm only 5'10 and not exactly a the biggest of guys.

Calum Whitham

Reaction score
What

is the name of the martial art used to train marines in close quarters hand to hand combat?

T

tricky123

ben what is MMA? and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu isn't that just rolling around on the floor stuff, with some Muay Thai thrown in?

I know a mate who is RM and he does/did wing tsun on as a civviy will ask him what the score is with his training is.

MMA stands for Mixed Martial Arts, and its really just all the stuff you see in the UFC, youtube Kimbo Slice, hes the man *text deleted*!

MS

Paul-M

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I used to do Shaolin Kung Fu, but I'm starting Muay Thai and BJJ after christmas, I find traditional forms of martial arts (possibly excluding ninjutsu and aikido) too slow to learn, why learn a form when you could be sparring? But if Wing Chun is something you're into, go for it. Whoever said BJJ is just that "rolling around stuff", Google it, it's one of the most effective martial arts there is.

Trace

Reaction score
i remember american armed services (seals i think) were taught mcmap which was a mix of a lot of martial arts. seems decent enough.

ben25

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Whoever said BJJ is just that "rolling around stuff", Google it, it's one of the most effective martial arts there is.

thank you , u took the words right out of my mouth

every nig name in the UFC cage rage etc always has a base with BJJ .

u can not go into the cage with out BJJ backing you up

ben

maophia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I was just asking what it was as what I have seen looks like rolling about. I mean its get your opponent on the floor and grapple type martial art. no offence meant it was just an uneducated observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.