Massive wobble

tinney2807

Reaction score
Can someone please inform me of what signing up for 3.5 years actually means, is it a case of you can’t put your chit in until that time is up or can you put it in anytime during that period? How much notice is a chit? My son is doubting whether this is the career for him ( he’s got to week 18) and is worried that if he stays and signs on for 3.5 years, passes out and then really doesn’t like it he won’t be able to leave until that time is up. I think he is overthinking everything and has got himself in a state, so far he has done well and passed everything. It’s not the training that is getting him down he can cope with that it’s life after pass out. I’m hoping I can reassure him. Thank you in advance for any advice

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
He's already signed-on for twelve years as a point of fact. They attest (sign-on) on the day they arrive at CTC.

What he means is he can wrap (resign) at any point from week 4 to week 26. There's no more "signing on" to be done for several years. It's a complete fallacy beliving he needs to sign-on again, one that many nods seem to believe and the.myth gets passed on, troop to troop.

If they don't wrap by week 26, recruits must complete recruit training (minimum of 32 weeks [8 months], assuming no injuries/back trooping) then complete the Return of Service (RoS) of 30 months, once trained before they can submit notice (12 months) to quit at any point thereafter.

A lot of lads get the jitters when the week 26 opt out window draws near. Funny thing is, if they do wrap, they'll wait many months, sometimes up to a couple of years before they can rejoin. If they do eventually rejoin - there's no opt out wondow, they must serve at least 50 months.

Recruits are always thinking of leaving - just tell him you've rented out his room and sold the furniture.

tinney2807

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply @Ninja_Stoker, so just to be clear is the ROS the 3.5 years he is talking about, so 4 years in total from when he initially joined?

Imperator13

Reaction score
I left at a similar point of training, and I have regretted it ever since! It’s been two years of laying awake at night thinking what if!

I appreciate it’s not for everyone but most endure a wobble or a bit of uncertainty. If he’s enjoying training he will love being at unit from what the lads I know have said.

If he isn’t enjoying the actually soldiering parts, it’s probably not for him. Make sur he isn’t getting caught in the “lemming effect”, saw loads of lads leave as a group out of no where when it was just one lad wanting to leave initially.

All the best to him in whatever desicion he takes!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply @Ninja_Stoker, so just to be clear is the ROS the 3.5 years he is talking about, so 4 years in total from when he initially joined?
Minimum service, if they do not quit by week 26 is:

8 months (RT) + 30 months (RoS) + 12 months (Notice to quit) = 50 months.

HMW1722

Reaction score
My nod is week 22 and hasn't thought of wrapping but I think that having to be at CTC 7 days a week has got to him a couple of times - ironically usually when he has had more time off at the weekends. A lot of his old mates are turning 21 and graduating from Uni and he feels he has missed out on a lot of parties. He just reminds himself that it is not forever and once he is in a unit he will have a more normal social life. The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. I think our troop went to see 40 Commando in week 21 - which he really enjoyed. Just seeing what life could be like after the 32 weeks and talking to some of the guys about their experiences. Tell him to hang in there for a little bit longer so he can make a more informed decision.

Wings

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I worry about what I miss a birthday party of a friend hell even my childs but he will be able remember this
Ever since I joined the Paras Ive had countless stories all interesting ill be going places that smash 21st parties to pieces and when im old I wont be thinking of the odd party ive misssed. Hell Marines will get to go on ships experiance the sea and also travel by air so even better. Ill be thinking, thank god I got to visit those countries for free getting paid experiencing all the climates. I almost quit in training in the very early weeks if I did id have made a mistake even if from time to time I do question if its right I leave my family at home whilst im so far away

cc1

(former RM)
Reaction score
Experiences lived trump experiences missed.

New Threads