May 4th RT

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
There is a group chat started up on Whatsapp if he would like me to add him?
He would. I'll PM you his number.
Please be aware that there have been occasions when TTs have set up fake accounts and gained access to these WhatsApp groups posing as potential Nods. This all comes back to bite the Nods in the arse about PERSEC at a later date.

My advice is to simply stay away, unless you actually know the person who is contacting you. Plenty of time during the 32 weeks of RT to make contact and swap numbers etc.

Alan

Duality

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Please be aware that there have been occasions when TTs have set up fake accounts and gained access to these WhatsApp groups posing as potential Nods. This all comes back to bite the Nods in the arse about PERSEC at a later date.

My advice is to simply stay away, unless you actually know the person who is contacting you. Plenty of time during the 32 weeks of RT to make contact and swap numbers etc.

Alan
I hadn't thought of that. I've sent his number but I'll speak to him about it.
It's sad that some members of the training teams do this.

Chelonian

Reaction score
It's sad that some members of the training teams do this.
It's often done to illustrate how careless some people are about managing digital security so the motivation is understandable.

In the past we've had members of Training Teams misrepresenting themselves on this forum. Amusingly one recently had his actual name autofilled by his device as a forum user name when he registered.
Consequently Cpl Remain-Nameless had a major flap and sent a frenzied series of PMs requesting a prompt forum user name change. :) He hasn't been seen here since.
A prime example of how digital PERSEC can be tricky but not in the way he had anticipated.

Duality

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
We've had a chat this morning. I asked him if he recognised the names in the group and he said all but one. Doesn't necessarily mean it's someone monitoring, could just be someone who was on a different PRMC .I told him to read through the PERSEC regs (he has) and to be extremely careful what he discusses.
I now get why the training teams have to quietly monitor digital communications.

Duality

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
It's often done to illustrate how careless some people are about managing digital security so the motivation is understandable.

In the past we've had members of Training Teams misrepresenting themselves on this forum. Amusingly one recently had his actual name autofilled by his device as a forum user name when he registered.
Consequently Cpl Remain-Nameless had a major flap and sent a frenzied series of PMs requesting a prompt forum user name change. :) He hasn't been seen here since.
A prime example of how digital PERSEC can be tricky but not in the way he had anticipated.
I can get why they would join the forum quietly and try to hide. What I found difficult to understand was why they may join and misrepresent as a parent to be allowed access to that part of the forum.

Caversham

Reaction score
I can get why they would join the forum quietly and try to hide. What I found difficult to understand was why they may join and misrepresent as a parent to be allowed access to that part of the forum.
Neither can we! We have been fairly successful in monitoring this, but cannot guarantee 100% accuracy.

We also have a member who joined this group over 10 years ago as an aspiring youngster and is now back as a Cpl in a TT offering sound and solid advice to all that request it. He has proved to be an invaluable asset to the forum, far more than the other bellends who tried to circumvent the measures we have in place.

The one thing I would advocate to your son is not to divulge too much. All things being well he will be in training in a month's time, where he will be able to speak, swap dits and numbers with all his fellow recruits. Nothing whatsoever to be gained by doing this before.

Alan

Chelonian

Reaction score
What I found difficult to understand was why they may join and misrepresent as a parent to be allowed access to that part of the forum.
Agreed. As does the office of the Corps Colonel at CTCRM so I'm led to understand.
One of the missions of this forum is to offer support to Parents & Partners. Undermining this mission is not helpful so those who do misrepresent themselves are promptly evicted.

Duality

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
We also have a member who joined this group over 10 years ago as an aspiring youngster and is now back as a Cpl in a TT offering sound and solid advice to all that request it. He has proved to be an invaluable asset to the forum, far more than the other bellends who tried to circumvent the measures we have in place.

Alan
His contribution has been brilliant and is an example of how helpful those guys can be to this forum.

HelmundOfWest

Reaction score

Alan
I didn't really think about that, thankyou for the advice. The idea of a chat was mainly so we could get ideas or tips from eachother about extra kit to take down etc, will be sure to keep the chat to just that.

Caversham

Reaction score
I didn't really think about that, thankyou for the advice. The idea of a chat was mainly so we could get ideas or tips from eachother about extra kit to take down etc, will be sure to keep the chat to just that.
No probs. Have a good search on here as everything has been covered many times over the years and don't worry! Guys have been pitching up at the gates of Deal and then CTC on day 1, week 1 for the last 60 years or more all concerned about what lies ahead.

Alan

Royal2010

Commando Training Wing & Drill Instructor
Reaction score
One of my good friends who helped take 284 troop is on the ROP team for this troop. I will no doubt know a few of the other members of the team. You are in good hands!
Just listen to what they say and do as they do. Give 100% at all times no matter what!

HelmundOfWest

Reaction score
One of my good friends who helped take 284 troop is on the ROP team for this troop. I will no doubt know a few of the other members of the team. You are in good hands!
Just listen to what they say and do as they do. Give 100% at all times no matter what!
That's brill, will do. Can't wait to get started now. & with the ROP, do you know if everybody have to do this or just the ones who haven't done a PRMC?
Everyone has been moved up an intake now so May 4th lot are now starting May 18th... 2 extra weeks of training in my eyes.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
That's brill, will do. Can't wait to get started now. & with the ROP, do you know if everybody have to do this or just the ones who haven't done a PRMC?
Everyone has been moved up an intake now so May 4th lot are now starting May 18th... 2 extra weeks of training in my eyes.
Good news for your niggle lad!