Me And My Ex Girlfriend

Taggart91

Reaction score
Okay, me and my ex girlfriend were together for just over a year and a half, however during that time i passed my PRMC and broke up with her as i didnt think that she would be able to cope with the time apart.

This in my eyes was stupid nieveity and probably the worst decision of my life. We have both spoke about how we feel and we still both love each other.

I now want to try and make things work with her while im away, nomatter what stress this puts me through. I understand that it will be extremely difficult during RT but am willing to take that risk.

She on the other hand is unsure what she wants as she doesnt know how it will be while im away, and i cant help her with that as i dont know myself.

If anybody can give us some advice, or tell us about past experience i would be greatfull if you would share it?

Your a great bunch of lads and have helped me alot in my application process so far.

All i ask is for you to be honest.

Thankyou David

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Okay, me and my ex girlfriend were together for just over a year and a half, however during that time i passed my PRMC and broke up with her as i didnt think that she would be able to cope with the time apart.

This in my eyes was stupid nieveity and probably the worst decision of my life. We have both spoke about how we feel and we still both love each other.

I now want to try and make things work with her while im away, nomatter what stress this puts me through. I understand that it will be extremely difficult during RT but am willing to take that risk.

She on the other hand is unsure what she wants as she doesnt know how it will be while im away, and i cant help her with that as i dont know myself.

If anybody can give us some advice, or tell us about past xperience i would be greatfull if you would share it?

Your a great bunch of lads and have helped me alot in my application process so far.

All i ask is for you to be honest.

Thankyou David

It all comes down to how much you both want it,
people are married with kids in the Marines,
and they can hack it,
but obviously some things affect the chances of it working,
your/her age,
what she thinks about not seeing you for a long time,
etc,
but at the end of the day,
if you both really want it,
give it a go,
and see if you can both hack it,
hope you do mate.

Joe

PoyserRM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* im in the same boat near enough, i have a girlfriend and should hopefully b goin for my PRMC soon...dont know exactly what to do, when i told her i was goin for the marines she finished it... n then claimed she made a mistake n got back with me since then it brought us closer...so now im just confused..she said she would 100% be there for me when i go in...but really will she???... i dont know

what comes around goes around i guess

Taggart91

Reaction score
Yeah cheers lads
She at first said that she will stay with me and i stupidly said that is a bad idea for her, as she will be happier with someone who will be there
I regret saying that.
Plus she also mentioned that she might noy able to stop herself from cheating on me while i was away.
Which i understand but...

Then again i bet a lot of relationships have ended due to the Marines *text deleted*

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
dont worry taggart ill give you a little cuddle at night time if your missing her that much ha ha :wink:

Taggart91

Reaction score
dont worry taggart ill give you a little cuddle at night time if your missing her that much ha ha :wink:

Aww cheers matey, dont think the sex would be quite the same though *text deleted* :wondering:

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Aww cheers matey, dont think the sex would be quite the same though *text deleted* :wondering:

Hey, don't knock it 'til you've tried it... :P

Relationships start, get *text deleted**text deleted*ed up, end, start again, realise the mistake, get *text deleted**text deleted*ed up, end again.

All in all, don't break up with her (*text deleted*) and get into RT, but be emotionally prepared for her to break up with you. Realise now, it is a distinct possibility, it is one of life's inevitabilities, and that you WILL get over it.

Then, if it does happen while you're in training, it won't mess you about too much. Try and keep Royal and relationships separate, because one will affect the other ALOT.

Good luck!

Macca

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
When I was in RT last year i was in a long term relationship, when I first got with my girlfriend I told her that I was going to join the Marines wich she thought was cool. Once i passed PRMC reality settled in both our minds that we were going to be apart for long periods of time and that it would be tough but we never thought of breaking up and going our seperate ways as we both talked about it and decided staight away that if we don't try it then we will never know how we feel about being apart for long periods.

But to honest breaking up never crossed our minds, we love eachother and thats it, if its meant to be, then its meant to be mate

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
From my own experience, and again I'm not a Royal Marine, I met my wife whilst serving & she was very used to me being away for long periods of time. Oddly, now I come home from work every day as a recruiter, it took some major re-adjustment from both sides, believe me.

With regard those joining the Corps and in a close relationship, you need to be fully aware that it isn't easy initially, but it can & does work for many - it's not easy initially but it gets easier with time. Not that you miss each other any less if you are particularly close. The rewards, if you can see it through, are a very strong, stable & supportive relationship from BOTH sides.

You need 100% support from your partner in Recruit Training. You do not need someone whining at you to leave, you do not need someone threatening to leave you if you don't leave the service. You definitely don't need someone that issues an ultimatum.

In my experience, I've lost count of the amount of guys who leave the service to "save the relationship". Guess what? Yep, it NEVER works as the guy leaving blames their partner & regrets the move in 99% of the cases and subsequently splits from their partner after leaving then comes hammering on the AFCO doors wishing to re-join.

The moral to the story? If you have a strong & supportive relationship it WILL work, if either of you has doubts, it may not.

Richard

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Its a question you should not ask to be honist mate, because we dont no your girlfriend and how she will react once the time comes when your away for a long period. Im telling you this because my friend is not with his girlfriend no more they argued alot because she diddnt see him much because he was away on duty etc. If she can understand what you will be doing and for how long, she can understand..

Taggart91

Reaction score
Right lads i spoke with her again tonight.
We both thought it would be best that we should see how we feel after RT as i/her or both may move on during my time away.

She is supportive of me though and has always said "you should put the Marines before me" which i think is genuinly nice of her.

I feel alot better now as at least i know where i stand.

Now i can focus on staying fit before RT :toung:

Cheers

tcsmith88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Emotionally, I can understand it must be a very difficult situation to deal with. 18 months is a long time to be with someone no matter what age you are. Whilst it sounds like you have a strong bond that exists between the two of you. You wouldn't got together in the first place, got back together and find yourselves in the situation you do now if you didn't. RT training would be difficult enough physically, mentally and emotionally without having your bird constantly on your mind. So I think you're both doing the right thing in cooling things down so you can now focus on RT without so much on your mind.

However, despite that I think it's vitally important you stay in regular contact during RT. Let each other know what's been happening in your respective daily lives and it also indirectly let's each other know your still there for them. If you can get through that and still feel exactly the same then I don't see why you wouldn't be able to carry on with each other.

I think that "you should put the Marines before me" was a very selfless act on her part and full credit to her for it because she obviously appreciates and respects how much earning that Green Beret means to you.

Hope this helps, matey, and all the very best with everything.

Tom.