Meal plan for Hardgainer

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, below is an example meal plan for anyone who struggles to gain quality weight i.e. pure muscle and NOT fat. I know some of you guys think supplements are a waste of money... each to their own opinion, but I used to have real trouble putting on weight and I swear by them. They're also a hell of a lot more convenient than making food all the time.

Wake 05.30 am - Neck a protein shake with water... NOT MILK!
Milk will slow the absorption rate and first thing in the morning your body is crying out for protein to maintain muscle mass.

06.00 - Run (30 mins)
06.30 - Neck a 1/2 a weight gain milkshake and grab a shower.

06.45 - Breakfast
Large bowl of wholewheat breakfast cereal (cheerios, shredded wheat etc) with semi-skimmed milk
2 slices of brown bread toasted with olive oil spread.
Drink the remainder of the weight gain drink or even substitute the milk on your breakfast with it.
Drink a small orange juice with a tablespoon of olive oil in.
If you have room grab a banana

09.00 - 1/2 a portion of weight gain drink with skimmed milk
A piece of fruit (banana, orange etc)

10.30 - tuna sandwich with olive oil spread
Another banana (Load those carbs!)

12.30 - Hit the gym for a 30-45 minute session. I personally don't believe in doing strength training for longer than 45 minutes, Once your muscles are screwed get out of there and get repairing.
Straight after training i.e. the second you hit the locker room, neck another protein shake with water (make it before you leave). Your body has a protein window after training where it will absorb more protein than normal, but it only lasts for about 30 minutes. I'm not sure why this is.

12.45/13.00 - Lunch - keep it healthy lads
2 Baked potatoes with tuna mayonnaise low fat preferably. The Tuna is obviously more protein for your body. If you don't like tuna then Chicken is a great alternative.
Bit of salad on the side.
Low fat yogurt.
More fruit!
Yes you can grab a chocolate bar here if you want.

15.30 - Another healthy Sandwich. If you find it a bit inconvenient eating all these sandwiches, investigate Meal Replacement Powders, although personally I hate them.

17.00 - Full portion of weight gain drink.

18.00 - Swim (30-45 mins)
18.30/45 (straight after training) Yes, you've guessed it... another protein shake with water.

19.30 A nice Healthy dinner
Chicken breast with brown rice and vegetables.
Low fat yoghurt

21.00 Neck a full portion of protein shake with milk. This will sit in your stomach longer than it would with water releasing the protein more slowly.
SLEEP!

A word of warning!
People mention that consuming too much protein is not a problem as you piss it out... true, but also consuming too much protein will make your sweat smell of urine!
In my opinion, you should only really consume protein first thing in the morning, straight after a training session and right before you go to bed. If you're not training, don't drink the shake!
I swear by Reflex Instant Whey, it mixes really easily, has quality ingredients and tastes good! Avoid Maximuscle products, they spend a small fortune on marketing and this reflects on the price of their products.

Weight gain milkshakes are great and contain a very large amount of carbs and protein, just go easy on them to start with though, it's very easy to consume too much and end up looking like cartman out of south park. BEEFCAKE! You're trying to gain muscle mass not fat.
Also avoid the stupidly high calorie ones! Mammoth is one to avoid, It's just pure Sugar.Reflex used to do one called Instant Mass, but they changed the ingredients and it now tastes like drinking porridge, AVOID anything by Maximuscle. The last one I was using was called, Pro Mass by CNP, you need a blender but it tastes pretty damn good.

Hope this helps.

Srew

Reaction score
Thats a *text deleted**text deleted*ing awesome programme. I have really problems putting on the pounds and I'm pretty skinny, hopefully this will work. Just out of interest whats you're height and weight, and how old are you??

Cheers Srew

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm 26, 5,9 and currently weight 74kg... bloody hell that sounds like a singles ad! *text deleted*

When I was following this program last year I bulked up to 80kg, but I had far too much muscle and not enough endurance. I wasn't doing any CV work just bulk weight training.
I've dropped down now to my perfect weight as it's made the body weight exercises a lot easier.

Srew

Reaction score
Im 6ft and only weigh 69kgs, so I deffinatly could do with putting on some weight, but I no lads in RT who are of a similar build so its not a massive problem.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Mate protein shakes really aren't the way to go in my opinion,
they put on unnessecary weight,
as long as you can do the press ups,
pulls ups,
and sit ups,
then you have all the muscle you need,
the more you put on after that,
the harder running will be.

As long as you're within the guideline BMI and can do the things mentioned above then you should be fine.

Joe

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Protein shakes aren't going to make you put on a significant amount of weight. They'll just help repair and build new muscle tissue.
As I said earlier, everyones entitled to their opinion but protein is scientifically proven to be beneficial to all athletes in building and repairing muscle.

jm745, I'm not suggesting everyone bulk up, only those people who would like to add a bit more muscle mass to their frame.

Perhaps we should start a thread for each supplement, Creatine, Protein, Weight Gain etc

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Yeh I get what you mean,
just thought I'd state that you don't need to be build like a tank for RT,
might put skinny pr's off.

Srew

Reaction score
Anyone got any idea what the bmi guidelines are??

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
im 5ft11 74kgs and im 16 i need to lose weight ...got any diets for weight loss i actually have a good one but just want to see other peoples opnions

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Blocky-I posted a thread titled 'My Diet' a few days ago. I designed it with the aim of losing some weight whilst maintaining energy levels for training. Check it out

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
!

Sounds like you live off weight gain shakes! Must be expensive for you, and disappointing for your body. What ever happened to eating bulky foods and building up a healthy naturally bulky muscular frame?
First it starts with suppliment pills, then its weight gainer then its steroids, dont go down that route.

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Protein shakes aren't going to make you put on a significant amount of weight. They'll just help repair and build new muscle tissue.
...*text deleted*, read what you typed again. build muscle tissue: add weight.

Matt B: Because not everyone can afford alot of protein foods since they're pretty expensive, Meat is ridiculous. But yeah I wouldn't base my diet on Whey, whole foods will always be superior.

Not great but most of my protein comes from Turkey mince, Cottage Cheese, Tuna, Soya Mince & Lentils.

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted*, that's a pretty hardcore stance you have on supplements.
I personally only advocate 3 supplements, Protein, weight gain and creatine.
Protein and weight gain being safe (providing you don't buy a crap brand), creatine being subject to debate.

Creatine would probably hinder someone training to be a Royal Marine. Whilst creatine helps your body push past it's normal strength threshold, it is likely to reduce your stamina in CV. Creatine is beneficial to bodybuilders, sprinters and anyone who requires explosive strength.

I would never encourage someone to take Steroids or Growth Hormones. I know a couple of Doorman that do and whilst gaining fantastic amounts of muscle, they look abnormal and are completely unaware of the problems they have caused their bodies.
The same goes for testosterone boosters... Avoid them!

As for weight gain being disappointing to your body, I disagree. The time required and financial alternative of a hard gainer trying to consume enough food in comparison doesn't even make this an issue.
A typical portion of weight gain milkshake would provide you with 50 grams of carbs (5% sugars) and 35 grams of protein, that's the equivalent of having a baked potato with tuna. Your body isn't going to be pissed off about that.

One way of putting it is like this...
Do you drink tea/coffee to give you that edge in the morning or to make you a bit more alert in the gym? Well that's a supplement called Caffeine. ( I don't drink either).
Do you drink a lucozade drink before or after training (Hypotonic, Isotonic or Hypertonic)? Well that's a supplement called Glucose/Sucrose.
Hell, I've even got a copy of the Royal Marines Circuit Training guide here with a chapter on how to make your own supplement sports drinks.
You consume supplements every day, they are designed for people LIKE YOU who have a training goal and want help achieving it. If you want to do it all the natural way, good for you.

... hehe, sorry that turned into a bit of a rant.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Good stuff

Good reply.

By disappointing I guess what I was really getting at was for your stomach and digestive system.
Suppliments don't take to much digesting as all the things the body needs is already there.

Also, the energy used in digesting keeps you warm and helps the body to maintain its core temperature. Some people can end up with gastrital problems with over production of stomach acids, because while you are taking in food the mouth salivates and at the same time the stomach starts to produce stomach acid ready to break down food. (hence why chewing gum can cause stomach problems, cause you're producing the acid but not providing anything for it to digest.) Also people who rely to heavily of suppliments suffer shrinking of the stomach, this can also trick the body into thinking it is getting a shortage of food so it will start to eat at your muscle for energy and protein and store any fat you intake rather than burning it.

Im not actually that against them, just trying to play devils advocate and throw up a different perspective!

margetts

Reaction score
rong!!

well i followed a solid training plan last year.
consuming this so called MIRICAL POWDER i was on them all!!
only thing i noticed was a SWOLLEN belly / SLUGISHNESS / smelly ASS
THERE IS SUTCH A THING AS JENETICS if you aint got the right build in the first place you aint gona go far!
now i admit i aint arnie but im happy with my build i follow the advice of a trainer

dont want to slag you off or nothing but that sounds like a magazine add!

i should know i fell for it all at first asswell.
blah! blah! this n that.
this will put x amount of muscle if you consume this much and if you consume this you'r performance will increase. bolloks!!

end of the story is you will end up spending £45 evry three weeks for nothing probably more than that depending on the brand. :nuts:

do you'r pocket a favour dont fall for it!

before i fininsh my rant do a little research if you dont belive me. :eek:

eat well and often good thing's come to those who wait!

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
well i followed a solid training plan last year.
consuming this so called MIRICAL POWDER i was on them all!!
only thing i noticed was a SWOLLEN belly / SLUGISHNESS / smelly ASS
THERE IS SUTCH A THING AS JENETICS if you aint got the right build in the first place you aint gona go far!
now i admit i aint arnie but im happy with my build i follow the advice of a trainer

dont want to slag you off or nothing but that sounds like a magazine add!

i should know i fell for it all at first asswell.
blah! blah! this n that.
this will put x amount of muscle if you consume this much and if you consume this you'r performance will increase. bolloks!!

end of the story is you will end up spending £45 evry three weeks for nothing probably more than that depending on the brand. :nuts:

do you'r pocket a favour dont fall for it!

before i fininsh my rant do a little research if you dont belive me. :eek:

eat well and often good thing's come to those who wait!
*text deleted* WTF, don't be slagging off supplements cause you had a bad experience. You're in the minority.

I wish people would stop looking at Protein/Weight Gain supplements as some miracle supplement, they are merely food replacements, FOOD. Protein could be seen as a speciality if you do not consume enough protein in the first place, assuming you're looking to build muscle.

What supplement did you use?

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I agree and disagree with some of the things said.

People should not view protein shakes as miracle supplements that do not work. Protein is NECESSARY for muscle repair and growth, it's not something you can do without, just like calories, you need them to function.

But I would not advise the plan suggested for many reasons. This plan is more suited for dedicated bodybuilding, who require a high caloric and high protein intake to maintain muscle mass and promote growth. But if you are really serious about joining the RM than this will not be necessary, as you the majority of exercises you do are not mass builders (press ups, sit ups) and you will be able to get most of your protein from a good diet.

Also so much supplements so many times a day can be quite expensive, also eating 8 or so times day can be difficult depending on the lifestyle you lead, there may not always be the opportunity available. I find here you would gain too much weight from fat. I have some mass builder stuff and its 1000 calories per serving! Thats crazy, it advises two servings a day (2000 total, on top of meals) but screw that. I was told to eat the weight gain stuff after a meal (breakfast) otherwise you will be full up if your eating it before a meal.

As of yet I haven't found that creatine has affected my CV at all, in fact recently my lung capacity and running endurance has increase despite putting on weight from increased water retention and mass builder protein.

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Touchstone, I also agree and disagree with some of the things you have said.

1 - High calorie intake
---
You have to bare in mind that I designed this programme for a hardgainer (ectomorph body type).
http://www.mens-total-fitness.com/ectomorph-endomorph-mesomorph.html
It really gets on my tits when people say, just eat healthy and you'll grow, bull*text deleted**text deleted*, ectomorphs are genetically *text deleted**text deleted*ed! :saythat:
The programme is designed to provide the required calories, protein and carbohydrate requirements of someone who intends to do three training sessions a day.

The average male should be eating around 2500 calories per day.
Based on my calculations of running a 3 miler at best effort, you will have burnt between 400 & 450 calories. That alone takes your calorie intake up to 300 calories. I burnt 422 on this mornings run.
Add a circuit training session and you'll be burning about another 400/500 calories, unless your doing really relaxed circuits.
Finally swimming for 30 minutes based on effort burns between 200 and 450 calories.

So if you think about it, realistically you need about 3500 calories in a day to prevent you dropping weight and help you gain weight.
Don't be worried about gaining fat! If you're an ectomorph your body will use it the second you reduce you reduce your calorie intake. As for the whole argument about gaining unnecessary weight, if you can do pressups with the additional weight you'll gradually be adding, what do you think will happen when you drop some of it? Common sense really.
----

2 - Eating so many times a day
----
I won't deny this point. It's bloody hard to motivate yourself to eat so much when your not used to it. I used to feel sick because I just wasn't use to eating so much, that's why the milkshakes are so helpful. It's a bit like force feeding. :wink:
Yes, it is also a real pain remembering to eat all the time and having the time to make all this food.

No offence, but sounds like you've brought a *text deleted**text deleted* brand of mass gainer. Is it mammoth by any chance? That stuff is just loaded with sugar. AVOID IT!
A full serving of my mass gainer (Pro-Mass) provides...
Energy: 394 calories
Protein: 35g
Carbohydrates: 53g (6g is sugar)
Fat: 4.7g

That's the equivalent of eating a jacket potato with tuna.

I completely agree with TheBakers comments also, a supplement is exactly what the name suggests, a supplement. If you don't want to consume the weight gain milkshakes, substitute it for a jacket potato and cottage cheese.
I just think most hard gainers would find it impossible to consume that much food though.
----

3 - Creatine
----
I was holding off using it as I felt it would be a hindrance to my training. How long you been taking it mate? Did you see a spike in performance of your strength based exercises using it? I.e. push ups, sit ups, pull ups etc?
I presume the increase in lung capacity has come from the ability to push your body harder.
I've recently hit a plateau with my push ups and have been considering using creatine to see if it helps. I'm currently doing lower rep push ups with a weighted bergan to try and shock my muscles.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I really would like to be eating 6-8 meals a day but I can't because of my current situation. Living with my family I don't get a lot of choice and when we have a dinner I have to eat what they eat.

Also not a lot of money. Hopefully when I move out I can eat 6-8 meals a day for optimum results and get the protein I need.

I'm on Mutant Mass. I regret buying it now, a big 15lb bag. But it recommends 4 scoops for a serving, which is 1000 calories and 52g of protein! Too much I think, so I only take 2 scoops per serving twice a day.

The creatine has helped me marginally, but it might have been just a natural increase you would expect from training over time. I have not been taking it correctly, as in timed before meals and with glucose so the insulin pushes it into my muscles quicker. But over time your body absorbs less creatine as I've been on the cycle too long.

I'm hoping to go into a fat loss program soon and burn some fat off, once I've finished the mass stuff.

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah that's a tough situation to be in. I can imagine how it would be a pain to follow a plan like this.

My only suggestion would be buy a bag of baked potatoes and cook them all at the same time. That way they're all cooked and ready to be eaten. When it's time for a snack grab one and pour some cottage cheese on it. This is what I was doing when I was a student and had piss all money. :smile:

That Mutant Mass stuff looks awful! 1050 calories! I bet you're getting some serious headaches after having that.
What have your strength/size gains been like?

I use these products...
Protein:
http://monstersupplements.com/store/p/525/1/Reflex-Instant-Whey--5lb-90-Servings-+-FREE-SHAKER!.html

Weight gain:
http://monstersupplements.com/store/p/49/1/Chemical-Nutrition-PRO-MASS--2.5-Kg.html

Did you start using the Creatine when you hit a training plateau or at a random point? Mixing with Glucose is definitely the way to go. A lot of people don't realise this and then bitch that it doesn't work. I also use hot water to ensure the creatine dilutes and then cool it down using grapefruit juice.

I had a bad experience with creatine many years ago when I first started taking it. I'd mixed up the loading phase instruction and took 5 scoops 5 times a day... :evil: One day I was serving a guy at the bar I used to manage and got a sudden bout of Diarrhoea, I literally gave the guy his drinks and had to bomb it to the bogs.
The creatine had formed a sand layer in my intestines and had drawn water towards it causing the worst bout of the *text deleted**text deleted*s ever! :flushed: