Measuring speed?

Mitch2012

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Evening fella's.

Now I'm aware of the times I should be doing, around 7 minutes a mile, but I have no idea the speed I should be going and have no clue how to measure it? Any help would be appreciated.

alfaholic

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The expensive way is buy a GPS watch. ?150+

The cheap way is if you have a smartphone, get an armstrap for it and download an app for free, popular ones are Runkeeper Pro or Nike Plus.
It measures your distance, time and pace per mile.
It also saves the run as your history so you can look back at previous runs to see if your improving. On the apps a voice interrupts your music playlist music and tells you your current distance, time and pace. You can have this interruption at any time or distance interval e.g i have mine set to every 0.25 miles so I know if I'm slowing or getting quicker.

Hope that helps pal

LMWH1985

Reaction score
Evening fella's.

Now I'm aware of the times I should be doing, around 7 minutes a mile, but I have no idea the speed I should be going and have no clue how to measure it? Any help would be appreciated.
Sound. The way i do it is... Garmin set to walk mode. or, map my run, or ordinary OS map plotting with a peice of string :saythat:

Know your distance.
Cane it.
Divide the time. say its four miles divide by 4...

PRMBenjey1993

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Go on mapmyrun.com
great site for runners, measure speed, distance, calories burned and you can plot an accurate route.

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Nike+ for iPhone.... Brilliant.
Syncs all runs to the website where you can accept challenges to compete against other Nike+ users!
Creates competition and faster times :)